Re: NEARfest Poll

  • The Bass Player
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 1999
      Jim wrote:

      10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO
      SEE
      > NEXT YEAR.

      Salem Hill
      Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins
      Fates Warning

      A vote for Fates is indeed a good thing brother Jim. They are highly
      unrecognized for being the quality prog/metal act they are.

      Peace,
    • AllGdPple@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 1999
        i only saw the first days bands so i'll have to limit my choices to those:

        <<
        1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE - Scott McGill's Hand Farm

        2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS - Alaska

        3. BEST GUITAR - Scott McGill

        4. BEST KEYS - Mickey Simmonds

        5. BEST VOCALS - Lisa Bouchelle

        6. BEST BASS - Chris Eike

        7. BEST DRUMS - Vic Stevens

        8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER - John O'Hara

        9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST -
        Hand Farm, Mastermind, Nathan Mahl.......( i know i didn't see them, but they
        were the overwhelming favorite in most of the posts i've seen. and i'd like
        to see them live :)

        10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
        - Djam Karet, Morte Macabre, Quarkspace
        NEXT YEAR. >>

        kenny
      • Eric Baillargeon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
          > 1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE

          Nathan Mahl
          Solaris
          Spocks' Beard

          > 2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS

          Nathan Mahl
          Solaris

          > 3. BEST GUITAR

          The guy from Solaris
          Nathan Mahl - He and Guy had some great interplay
          Scott Mcgill

          > 4. BEST KEYS

          Guy Leblanc
          Mickey Simmons
          John O'hara

          > 5. BEST VOCALS

          Neal Morse
          Nick D'Virgilio

          > 6. BEST BASS

          Chris Ieke
          Dave Meros

          > 7. BEST DRUMS

          Vick Stevens
          Rich Berends
          Nick D'virgilio

          > 8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER

          Neal Morse - I like the head bobbing thing he had going. Also very friendly
          after the show!

          > 9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST

          Solaris
          Nathan Mahl
          Spock's Beard

          Please no IQ!

          > 10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
          > NEXT YEAR.

          Saga
          Shadow Gallery - I know they don't tour
          Porcupine Tree

          Later
          Eric

          NP Genesis - Invisible Touch (no flaming please)
        • Jim Robinson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
            Terry you have again proven your undeniable brilliance. :-)
            Fates Warning IS prog-metal to me. They are the standard bearer as far sa I
            am concerned.

            Peace-
            Jim

            The Bass Player wrote:

            > Jim wrote:
            >
            > 10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO
            > SEE
            > > NEXT YEAR.
            >
            > Salem Hill
            > Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins
            > Fates Warning
            >
            > A vote for Fates is indeed a good thing brother Jim. They are highly
            > unrecognized for being the quality prog/metal act they are.
            >
            > Peace,

          • Paul Arsenault
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
              Here's my list.

              >The categories are listed below. Please list 3 choices for each category:
              >
              >1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE
              Solaris
              Spocks Beard
              Nathan Mahl

              >2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS
              Solaris
              Spocks Beard
              Nathan Mahl

              >3. BEST GUITAR

              Scott McGill (Although I don't care for fusion, This guy can play!)
              Alan Morse
              Bill Berends

              >4. BEST KEYS

              John O'Hara
              Guy LeBlanc
              Robert Erdesz

              >5. BEST VOCALS
              Lisa Bouchelle
              Neal Morse (Untill he lost his voice)

              >>6. BEST BASS
              Dave Meros
              Chris Eike (See Scott McGill note)
              John Jowitt

              >7. BEST DRUMS

              Vic Stevens
              Nick D'Virgilio
              Al Lewis

              >8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER
              Ryo Okumoto
              Attila Kollar
              Richard Berends

              >9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST
              Spocks Beard
              Solaris
              Nathan Mahl

              >10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
              >NEXT YEAR.
              Par Lindh
              Salem Hill
              Galahad
            • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999

                I just realized that I never posted my picks for my own poll. Well...here
                they are. Most of these were really hard to pick for me as I really liked
                all of the performances a lot.

                <<
                1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE

                Spocks Beard
                Mastermind
                Crucible

                2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS

                Nathan Mahl
                Spock's Beard
                Mastermind

                3. BEST GUITAR

                Scott Mcgill
                Bill Berends
                Csaba Bogdan (liked his style of playing more than anything)

                4. BEST KEYS

                John Ohera (Alaska)
                Guy Leblanc (Nathan Mahl)
                tie
                Micky Simmonds (Mastermind) considering that he is not a full time member of
                the band, and has only played with them a few times, I thought his
                performance was pretty amazing.
                Ryo Okumoto (spocks beard)

                5. BEST VOCALS

                Bill Esposito (crucible)
                Lisa Bouchelle (mastermind)
                Peter Nichols (IQ)

                6. BEST BASS

                Dave Meros (spocks beard) Chris Squire junior!
                Chris Eike (hand farm)
                Chris Vescera (crucible)

                7. BEST DRUMS

                Rich Berends (mastermind)
                Vic Stevens (hand farm)
                Tony Cappellina (crucible)

                8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER

                Ryo Okumoto (spocks beard)
                Peter Nichols (IQ)
                Neil Morse (spock's beard)

                9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST

                Actually I could see all of them again, but if I have to pick

                Spock's Beard
                Crucible
                Mastermind (especially after they have a new album out with the current
                lineup!)

                10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
                NEXT YEAR. >>

                Iluvatar
                Salem Hill
                Lands End

                Steve Sly
                (NP - Rush - Different Stages)
              • Jim Robinson
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
                  Steve-

                  That is absolutely amazing!!!
                  What show did you hear?

                  Sorry but I just can not figure this one out.

                  Peace-
                  Jim

                • Stevesly@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999

                    <<
                    That is absolutely amazing!!!
                    What show did you hear?

                    Sorry but I just can not figure this one ou >>

                    You've got to remember that I have been a big IQ head for years, and really
                    like Nichols voice, but..........I realize many people find his voice quite
                    annoying (kind of like how many people feel about Geddy Lee). "Subterania"
                    was one of my favorite albums from 1997, and I thought last year's "7 Stories
                    Into 98" was great as well. I liked Nichols theatrical style (but of course
                    I like that kind of thing), and thought the visuals (films, Peter singing to
                    the video camera behind stage) worked really well too, but........I also
                    realize that many people hate that kind of stuff as well, so I guess it is
                    just my personal taste. I do have to admit that after The Hand Farm and
                    Mastermind, IQ was not on the same level musican wise, but than again chops
                    is not really what they are all about. It's more of a melodic, emotional
                    thing if that makes any sense..

                    Steve Sly
                    (NP - Ten Jinn - As On A Darkening Plain)
                  • Stevesly@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 1999
                      I just posted the Nearfest poll to rec.music.progressive. For those of you
                      who go there do not respond to it, as I will incorporate the replies from
                      ProgAndOther into the rec.music.progressive poll as well. As soon as I get a
                      reply from the Captain I will post the results from our own little group here.

                      Steve Sly
                      (NP - Rick Wakeman - Return To The Center Of The Earth)