Re: NEARfest Poll

  • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 1999
      In the last digest, Stevesly@... wrote:

      >Thought it might be fun to do a little NEARfest poll amongst the list to see
      >what you guys thought of things. I will list the categories below. I may
      >eventually post this on rec.music.progressive too, but for now I would like
      >to get the ProgAndOther opinion.
      >
      >The categories are listed below. Please list 3 choices for each category:
      >
      >1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE

      Nathan Mahl, with Solaris close behind.

      >2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS

      Hmm....Ice Age. Not that they were my favorites or anything,
      but they're the only band that I didn't expect I'd like going
      in, but turned out to be pretty good.

      >3. BEST GUITAR

      Best "technical" performance - Scott McGill

      "Flowing" and emotional guitar - the guy from Solaris (I've
      got a screaming baby here, so I don't have time to look up names)

      Most powerful guitarist - tough call between the guy from Mastermind
      and the guy from Ice Age

      But my favorite overall was the guy from Nathan Mahl. Not sure
      why - I just liked his technique, and his alternating between
      complex fingerpicking and flowing leads.

      >4. BEST KEYS

      The guy from Alaska is really good, but seemed kind of sloppy in
      spots on Saturday. The guy from Solaris was really good at creating
      textures and moods, but not a flashy lead player. So I'm gonna have
      to go with, once again, the guy from Nathan Mahl. He played so many
      styles of music, with so many different tones and sounds, and he played
      them all really well.

      >5. BEST VOCALS

      Larry Fast. Well, I'm being kind of a smartass, but honestly I enjoyed
      Larry's lecture more than the vocals of any of the bands.

      >6. BEST BASS

      The keyboardist from Alaska's right foot. Again, I'm being a smartass,
      but it's amazing that he can do that while playing two keyboards at the
      same time. OK, serious answer...very tough call. The guys from Hand
      Farm, Mastermind, Nathan Mahl, and Ice Age all impressed me, and even
      the bassist for Solaris was pretty damn good. Someone, at some point,
      played a bass solo full of harmonics - was that the guy from Nathan
      Mahl? Whichever it was, he gets my vote.

      >7. BEST DRUMS

      Well, at least we got a solo from almost every drummer who took the
      stage to judge them by. I've heard a lot of people slamming Alaska's
      drum solo, but I thought it was a great display of improvisation and
      the use of dynamics vs "shredding". The Hand Farm and Mastermind
      solos were great. I know Nathan Mahl, Ice Age and Solaris did one,
      but I can't remember how they went so I must not have been too
      impressed. I'll give the nod to Hand Farm.

      >8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER

      The keyboardist for Nathan Mahl. He really is just amazingly
      talented, precise and tasteful.

      >9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST

      Three that played this year that I'd like to see again? Gee, wonder what
      three are going to win this category...(Spock, IQ and Solaris. Or will
      Nathan Mahl steal IQ's spot? You make the call...). Anyway, I'll go
      with Nathan Mahl and Solaris definitely, after that there are several
      that I wouldn't mind seeing again, but none I'm really torqued up about.
      I'll go with Ice Age as my third, because I didn't get enough chance at
      NEARfest to decide if I like them or not.

      >10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
      >NEXT YEAR.

      Mike Keneally and Beer For Dolphins
      Mike Keneally and Beer For Dolphins
      Mike Keneally and Beer For Dolphins

      Oh, three different bands?

      Mike Keneally and Beer For Dolphins
      Magma
      Buckethead....or how 'bout Liquid Tension Experiment? Or Trephine - I'd
      love to see how this year's audience would have reacted to that. Or
      Caryn Lin, since she lives close. Or Gong, or Kansas, or....

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • The Bass Player
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 1999
        Jim wrote:

        10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO
        SEE
        > NEXT YEAR.

        Salem Hill
        Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins
        Fates Warning

        A vote for Fates is indeed a good thing brother Jim. They are highly
        unrecognized for being the quality prog/metal act they are.

        Peace,
      • AllGdPple@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 1999
          i only saw the first days bands so i'll have to limit my choices to those:

          <<
          1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE - Scott McGill's Hand Farm

          2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS - Alaska

          3. BEST GUITAR - Scott McGill

          4. BEST KEYS - Mickey Simmonds

          5. BEST VOCALS - Lisa Bouchelle

          6. BEST BASS - Chris Eike

          7. BEST DRUMS - Vic Stevens

          8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER - John O'Hara

          9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST -
          Hand Farm, Mastermind, Nathan Mahl.......( i know i didn't see them, but they
          were the overwhelming favorite in most of the posts i've seen. and i'd like
          to see them live :)

          10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
          - Djam Karet, Morte Macabre, Quarkspace
          NEXT YEAR. >>

          kenny
        • Eric Baillargeon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
            > 1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE

            Nathan Mahl
            Solaris
            Spocks' Beard

            > 2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS

            Nathan Mahl
            Solaris

            > 3. BEST GUITAR

            The guy from Solaris
            Nathan Mahl - He and Guy had some great interplay
            Scott Mcgill

            > 4. BEST KEYS

            Guy Leblanc
            Mickey Simmons
            John O'hara

            > 5. BEST VOCALS

            Neal Morse
            Nick D'Virgilio

            > 6. BEST BASS

            Chris Ieke
            Dave Meros

            > 7. BEST DRUMS

            Vick Stevens
            Rich Berends
            Nick D'virgilio

            > 8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER

            Neal Morse - I like the head bobbing thing he had going. Also very friendly
            after the show!

            > 9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST

            Solaris
            Nathan Mahl
            Spock's Beard

            Please no IQ!

            > 10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
            > NEXT YEAR.

            Saga
            Shadow Gallery - I know they don't tour
            Porcupine Tree

            Later
            Eric

            NP Genesis - Invisible Touch (no flaming please)
          • Jim Robinson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
              Terry you have again proven your undeniable brilliance. :-)
              Fates Warning IS prog-metal to me. They are the standard bearer as far sa I
              am concerned.

              Peace-
              Jim

              The Bass Player wrote:

              > Jim wrote:
              >
              > 10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO
              > SEE
              > > NEXT YEAR.
              >
              > Salem Hill
              > Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins
              > Fates Warning
              >
              > A vote for Fates is indeed a good thing brother Jim. They are highly
              > unrecognized for being the quality prog/metal act they are.
              >
              > Peace,

            • Paul Arsenault
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
                Here's my list.

                >The categories are listed below. Please list 3 choices for each category:
                >
                >1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE
                Solaris
                Spocks Beard
                Nathan Mahl

                >2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS
                Solaris
                Spocks Beard
                Nathan Mahl

                >3. BEST GUITAR

                Scott McGill (Although I don't care for fusion, This guy can play!)
                Alan Morse
                Bill Berends

                >4. BEST KEYS

                John O'Hara
                Guy LeBlanc
                Robert Erdesz

                >5. BEST VOCALS
                Lisa Bouchelle
                Neal Morse (Untill he lost his voice)

                >>6. BEST BASS
                Dave Meros
                Chris Eike (See Scott McGill note)
                John Jowitt

                >7. BEST DRUMS

                Vic Stevens
                Nick D'Virgilio
                Al Lewis

                >8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER
                Ryo Okumoto
                Attila Kollar
                Richard Berends

                >9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST
                Spocks Beard
                Solaris
                Nathan Mahl

                >10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
                >NEXT YEAR.
                Par Lindh
                Salem Hill
                Galahad
              • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999

                  I just realized that I never posted my picks for my own poll. Well...here
                  they are. Most of these were really hard to pick for me as I really liked
                  all of the performances a lot.

                  <<
                  1. BEST OVERALL PERFORMANCE

                  Spocks Beard
                  Mastermind
                  Crucible

                  2. PERFORMANCE THAT MOST SURPASSED YOUR EXPECTATIONS

                  Nathan Mahl
                  Spock's Beard
                  Mastermind

                  3. BEST GUITAR

                  Scott Mcgill
                  Bill Berends
                  Csaba Bogdan (liked his style of playing more than anything)

                  4. BEST KEYS

                  John Ohera (Alaska)
                  Guy Leblanc (Nathan Mahl)
                  tie
                  Micky Simmonds (Mastermind) considering that he is not a full time member of
                  the band, and has only played with them a few times, I thought his
                  performance was pretty amazing.
                  Ryo Okumoto (spocks beard)

                  5. BEST VOCALS

                  Bill Esposito (crucible)
                  Lisa Bouchelle (mastermind)
                  Peter Nichols (IQ)

                  6. BEST BASS

                  Dave Meros (spocks beard) Chris Squire junior!
                  Chris Eike (hand farm)
                  Chris Vescera (crucible)

                  7. BEST DRUMS

                  Rich Berends (mastermind)
                  Vic Stevens (hand farm)
                  Tony Cappellina (crucible)

                  8. OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER

                  Ryo Okumoto (spocks beard)
                  Peter Nichols (IQ)
                  Neil Morse (spock's beard)

                  9. NAME 3 BANDS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MOST TO RETURN TO NEARFEST

                  Actually I could see all of them again, but if I have to pick

                  Spock's Beard
                  Crucible
                  Mastermind (especially after they have a new album out with the current
                  lineup!)

                  10. NAME 3 BANDS THAT DID NOT PLAY NEARFEST, BUT YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE
                  NEXT YEAR. >>

                  Iluvatar
                  Salem Hill
                  Lands End

                  Steve Sly
                  (NP - Rush - Different Stages)
                • Jim Robinson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999
                    Steve-

                    That is absolutely amazing!!!
                    What show did you hear?

                    Sorry but I just can not figure this one out.

                    Peace-
                    Jim

                  • Stevesly@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 1999

                      <<
                      That is absolutely amazing!!!
                      What show did you hear?

                      Sorry but I just can not figure this one ou >>

                      You've got to remember that I have been a big IQ head for years, and really
                      like Nichols voice, but..........I realize many people find his voice quite
                      annoying (kind of like how many people feel about Geddy Lee). "Subterania"
                      was one of my favorite albums from 1997, and I thought last year's "7 Stories
                      Into 98" was great as well. I liked Nichols theatrical style (but of course
                      I like that kind of thing), and thought the visuals (films, Peter singing to
                      the video camera behind stage) worked really well too, but........I also
                      realize that many people hate that kind of stuff as well, so I guess it is
                      just my personal taste. I do have to admit that after The Hand Farm and
                      Mastermind, IQ was not on the same level musican wise, but than again chops
                      is not really what they are all about. It's more of a melodic, emotional
                      thing if that makes any sense..

                      Steve Sly
                      (NP - Ten Jinn - As On A Darkening Plain)
                    • Stevesly@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 1999
                        I just posted the Nearfest poll to rec.music.progressive. For those of you
                        who go there do not respond to it, as I will incorporate the replies from
                        ProgAndOther into the rec.music.progressive poll as well. As soon as I get a
                        reply from the Captain I will post the results from our own little group here.

                        Steve Sly
                        (NP - Rick Wakeman - Return To The Center Of The Earth)