Re: Keneally/Beller at Orion

    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2010
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS20)" <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

      > Ha ha. I like the "I'm late for work, so I have to be brief" and
      > then proceed to write more than I've posted all year :^)

      Well, most of it was cut-and-pasted from the info files for the
      torrents of the show...

      > Anyway, great story Bob, thanks. Judging from the set list, it
      > had to be a killer show.

      Yeah, my energy was starting to flag towards the end, but then
      "Cause of Breakfast" sucked me right back in and the rest of
      the main set and encores kept me head-banging along.

      > 16. "Ricky Oh Boy" (0:46)

      I should explain that one - Rick Musallam was having
      trouble getting his guitar tuned between songs, so Mike
      started playing the Beatles' "Martha My Dear" on piano
      and changed the lyrics to "Ricky, oh boy, how's that
      tuning coming on your nice Les Paul? You tune them
      all..." and then he started laughing and the song
      fell apart.

      > 19 On keys, Mike on band intros (0:52)

      When Keneally was doing the band intros, for each guy
      he would name the wrong instrument and then the right
      one, like "On drums, Bryan Bellar on bass". For Griff
      Peters, he played a little keyboard run and then said
      "Oh, that can only be Griff Peters on guitar". It
      occured to me afterwards that he was intentionally
      screwing with people who would listen to recordings
      of the show later...

      -- Bob
    • Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS20)
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2010
        Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Keneally/Beller at Orion Oh, that made me think of another question. Did Mike Potter do any recording of the bands? I want to think that there’s some bits from Orion on MK’s Guitar Therapy album, but I can’t remember.

        -scott

        Message 3 of 9 , May 14, 2010
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS20)" <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

          > Oh, that made me think of another question. Did Mike Potter do
          > any recording of the bands?

          Yes, he definitely recorded the show. I heard him before Beller's
          set telling the band that he had already started the recording
          gear. I think he was trying to encourage them to get started,
          because it was supposed to be an early show (since it was Sunday)
          and at 7:45 they still hadn't shown any sign of heading towards
          the stage...

          Another detail - for some reason the band had Bill Plummer of
          Oblivion Sun run the soundboard. Normally Mike Potter does that.
          I don't know why Bill did it for this show.

          -- Bob
        • progluvr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 14, 2010
            In a message dated 5/14/2010 5:49:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, eichler2@... writes:
            Another detail - for some reason the band had Bill Plummer of
            Oblivion Sun run the soundboard. Normally Mike Potter does that.
            I don't know why Bill did it for this show.

            -- Bob

            Bill does a great job and sometimes gives Mike a 'break' so that Mike can actually enjoy the show.  Not sure if this is the exact reason for this particular show, but he has done that in the past.  Maybe one of them can clarify for us.  : )

            Deb S.
            The Prog-Rock Diner Mondays 5-7pm EST
            www.fcac.org/webr
            www.progrockdiner.com