This Week on ProgScape Radio: Show #284.

  • Michael Ostrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      Our featured artist came together strictly by accident. The band OHM
      (featuring guitarist Chris Poland, formally of Megadeth) played one night in
      Chicago with the band Umphrey's McGee. On that night, the two bands decided
      it would be cool to jam on stage. The result of that jamming was so cool
      that the band(s) decided it might be cool to get together in an attempt to
      record it for posterity. Flash forward to January of 2009 - fractions of the
      2 bands got together (Ohm's Poland and Roberto "Pag" Pagliari [bass],
      Umphrey's Jake Cinninger [guitars], Joel Cummins [keys] and Kris Meyers
      [drums] at Poland's studio in Los Angeles and recorded for two days. Yes, I
      said two days. The results are mind blowing. Because of the "live" setting
      and recording, the result is pure jazz-fusion with a heavy progressive rock
      vibe. The guys over at Something Else Reviews sum it all up quite nicely
      when they say that our featured artist "...is a dream-band come true for
      many jam band fans much as, say, Transatlantic was for neo-prog fans. It's
      the kind of no-b.s., improvisational instrumental rock you can probably find
      in live venues all over the country but rarely done in the studio anymore.
      Cinninger summed it up this way: 'There are zero overdubs on this record. It
      was as if we literally walked into Rudy Van Gelder's studio in New Jersey
      and laid down the sessions, as is'....[they] managed to capture that live
      spirit, transported it to the studio and brought some pretty enormous chops
      into that room with them. When you're in the mood for hard-rockin' improv
      done by the masters and can't get out to see it, this is the record to
      play." Please join us on Tuesday night (January 5th) at 8pm as we spotlight
      the 2009 debut release by OHMphrey.

      Best Regards,
      Michael Ostrich
      ProgScape Entertainment