Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: pc software to digitize a collection

  • Noah Lesgold
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
      Just to follow up on this, I did finally get that hard drive I'd
      ordered, and tonight I started the digitization process. I'm 108 discs
      in (out of somewhere in the 1800-1900 range), so while this will
      definitely take a while, it's off to a good start. It's already been
      nice for reminding me of some good stuff I picked up last year, and as I
      will soon get into stuff I've had longer, I'm sure there will be some
      nice memories kicked up as I play some fun old albums.

      --
      Noah Lesgold nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

      "In a universe that defies description, all systems of belief can only be
      false." --Osman Spare
    • Noah Lesgold
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
        Also meant to add, I ended up just going with Windows Media Player. I
        didn't need anything fancier than it for what I wanted, and it has all
        the options I actually care about. The autotagging is pretty good, but
        not perfect - I do need to keep an eye on it, but I've only had to
        fiddle with 3-4 of the discs tonight.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...> wrote:

          > Also meant to add, I ended up just going with Windows Media
          > Player.

          Be VERY glad you didn't go with iTunes. At least on a Windows
          platform. It might work wonderfully on a Mac, but it's a piece
          of crap on a PC. My daughter got a Harry Potter DVD for Xmas
          that came with a "digital copy" you could download and put on
          an iPod. It took THREE DAYS for the damn thing to download,
          mostly because iTunes kept crashing every 10 minutes. Once it
          was down, it took another hour or so to figure out how to get
          it over to the iPod because the process was completely
          unintuitive. And the kicker is that in order to get this
          "free" movie, I had to create an Apple Store account for my
          daughter and sign into it around a dozen times.

          I had to put Quicktime on my main computer to watch something,
          and now Windows Explorer runs painfully slow and the computer
          has been displaying some weird bugs.

          For the life of me, I can't understand why so many people think
          Apple is so superior to Microsoft. Every experience I've had
          with them thus far has sucked.

          -- Bob
        • Noah Lesgold
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
            On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, biceeichler wrote:

            > For the life of me, I can't understand why so many people think Apple
            > is so superior to Microsoft. Every experience I've had with them thus
            > far has sucked.

            It really helps if all the hardware involved is, as my brother puts it,
            Macwards compatible.

            As it happens, I did get an iPod Touch today. I am not proud of this,
            but it felt like the thing to do. 173 discs ripped and counting
            (currently on Steve Hackett's Tokyo Tapes).

            Speaking of Tokyo Tapes, there's a blurb on the back:

            "What would it sound like if occasional members of Genesis, King
            Crimson, Asia, Yes, Zappa, and Weather Report, all got together to form
            a unique team just for one night?"

            Who of Hackett, Wetton, Chester Thompson, Ian McDonald, and Julian
            Colbeck could be said to have been an "occasional member" of Yes?

            --
            Noah Lesgold nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

            Nuclear war is bad for monkeys.
            --The Hundredth Monkey
          • bony
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010

              Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:20 PM
              Subject: Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: pc software to digitize a collection

                Who of Hackett, Wetton, Chester Thompson, Ian McDonald, and Julian
              Colbeck could be said to have been an "occasional member" of Yes?

              colbeck (abwh)
            • Noah Lesgold
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
                On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, bony wrote:

                > Who of Hackett, Wetton, Chester Thompson, Ian McDonald, and Julian
                > Colbeck could be said to have been an "occasional member" of Yes?
                >
                > colbeck (abwh)

                I'd argue that's not the same thing, but at least it's sort of a link.

                --
                Noah Lesgold nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

                "When dealing with railroading DM's, never waste skill points on the
                tracking skill. If it's part of the plot, you'll find it no matter what
                you roll. If it's not part of the plot, then it doesn't exist anyway."
                --Shamus Young