Audiosynchocy-S.T.

  • marabus
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2009
      I just received this cd from Brian Dorbuck(a real steal at
      $13.00-includes US shipping).I've had 2 spins so far and really love it.
      I highly recommend to any prog lover and apologize if it's been
      discussed here before.This was released in '92 and if interested let me
      know
      and I'll connect you with Brian.
      Since I'm terrible at reviews I've copied John Collinge's review from
      the Winter/Spring 2003 issue of Progression Magazine.
      Pete
      " Out of the blue comes this very talented California band with monster
      chops and an addled sense of humor suggesting a cross between Frank
      Zappa and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Led by Trevor Lloyd's note happy (the
      kind we proggers drool for) electric violin and keyboards,
      Audiosynchrocy grabs you immediately with speedy, angular opener,
      "Merrily Barreling Through Barely". These guys blend melody and
      dissonance with jaw-dropping precision, their odd-metered vocal phrasing
      and light, oft-goofy lyrical fare enhancing the disc's gymnastic aural
      revelries. Hints of the Dixie Dregs and Happy The Man-style quirkiness
      arise here and there, as during the eight-minute instrumental "Europa".
      Even then, bright synth leads lend a unique identity. Five of these nine
      tracks are instrumentals, ranging in tone and structure from aggressive,
      sinewy fusion to beautiful piano ruminations (" Searching...") and
      impressionistic soundscaping ("Aerial View"). Rounding out this
      impressive ensemble are Dudley Brooks on guitar and vocals, bassist Jake
      Feldman and drummer/percussionist Rob Canny (Lloyd also sings). Trevor
      Feldman adds vibes to "That Constant Game", and would've been welcome on
      other tracks as well. "