Re: Dime Ratios

  • jeffoaster
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 10, 2009
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

      > Where did you get it? I can't find it via Google, altough I found
      > several pages that mention the software. Is it still available
      > somewhere?
      >
      > -- Bob

      That's odd - it didn't show up when I did a search. However, a quick click in the "about" section of the software gives this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flacsquisher/

      It's certainly worth getting. The fact that it converts directly to vorbis files makes it even better.

      - Jeff
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 11, 2009
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...> wrote:

        > That's odd - it didn't show up when I did a search. However, a
        > quick click in the "about" section of the software gives this
        > link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flacsquisher/
        >
        > It's certainly worth getting. The fact that it converts directly
        > to vorbis files makes it even better.

        Thanks for the link.

        I had never heard of vorbis, so I did a search on that. Sounds
        interesting. I wonder if, since they're in direct "competition"
        with MP3, if the people who own the patent (or whatever it is)
        on MP3 compression didn't get that FLAC Squisher page "unlisted"
        from Google somehow. Nah, I'm probably just being paranoid...

        -- Bob
      • jeffoaster
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 11, 2009
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the link.
          >
          > I had never heard of vorbis, so I did a search on that. Sounds
          > interesting. I wonder if, since they're in direct "competition"
          > with MP3, if the people who own the patent (or whatever it is)
          > on MP3 compression didn't get that FLAC Squisher page "unlisted"
          > from Google somehow. Nah, I'm probably just being paranoid...
          >
          > -- Bob

          Wow, nice conspiracy theory. I doubt there is any competition with mp3 - a lot of media players and a fair amount of non-Zune or iPod mp3 players support it. It's a pretty common type of encoding. But who knows?

          I personally prefer it because not only does it sound better (to my ears) than mp3 at similar codecs, but the file is also smaller.