Cabezas De Cera & Might Could at Orion!

  • progluvr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2009
           Saturday Night, June 27th, 8:00pm
             The Baltimore Progressive Rock Showcases

                              At

                         Orion Studios
           2903 Whittington Ave., Baltimore, MD 21230
                           Present:

                          From Mexico:
                 C A B E Z A S   de  C E R A

                           with guests:

                    M I G H T   C O U L D

      CABEZAS DE CERA:
      www.myspace.com/cabezasdecera

           We are delighted to be able to host Mexican progressive rockers Cabezas
      de Cera this Saturday night at Orion Studios.  I first heard Cabezas de Cera
      ("Wax Heads") about five years ago when they rocked the field at ProgDay.
      It was the same year that Amarok played both ProgDay and here at the
      studio, and though I tried for a twin bill with Cabezas de Cera it just
      wasn't possible.  At that time we (the band and I) promised that CdC would
      someday visit Baltimore and perform here at Orion, so this Saturday night is
      the fulfillment of a promise made five years ago.

            Since their show at ProgDay, Cabezas de Cera have expanded their sonic
      palette with the addition of several home-built and unique musical
      instruments.  They have performed at many festivals including last weekend's
      NorthEast ArtRock Festival (NEARFest) where they quickly became the surprise
      of the festival.  Their music mixes elements of metal, jazz, Mexican pop
      music, and avant rock to create a very unique sound and dynamic stage
      presentation that includes a good bit of improvisation.  The band features
      Francisco Sotelo on percussion, Mauricio Sotelo on Grand Stick, Chapman
      Stick, and charrofono, and Ramses Luna on Saxophone, whistle, and MIDI wind
      controller.  Note that their performance here at Orion is sponsored by The
      Cultural Institute of Mexico.

      MIGHT COULD:
      www.myspace.com/mightcould

           Returning for their third performance at Orion, the acoustic guitar
      trio (plus beefy bass) of Might Could are well known and much loved in these
      parts.  The band originated in College Park, MD, where all of the members
      attended the University of Maryland.  They were a regular fixture at local
      java junkie hangout The College Perk, building a very solid fan base in the
      process.  The members of the band now are scattered around a bit following
      their respective graduations but do get together a few times a year to
      rehearse, record,  and perform.  Might Could were last here in December of
      2008, celebrating their then recently-released CD "Would Knot".  Fans of The
      California Guitar Trio will find a lot to like here, despite the fact the
      band likely get tired of the comparison!  Their compositions are ambitious

      and are wonderfully performed.   Guitarists Andy Tilloston, Aaron Geller,
      and Tim McCaskey comprise the trio - beefy bass is added by Luis Nasser on
      both acoustic and electric bass guitar.

      Cover: $15

      Da Rulz:
      All ages show - BYOB - small folding chairs and coolers welcome

      DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Take I-95 to exit 50A, Caton Ave., south. Take Caton Ave
      south to the third traffic signal and turn left onto Washington Blvd. Take
      Washington Blvd. about ΒΌ mile to the large "U-Haul" sign on your right and
      turn right, in front of the sign, onto Inverness Ave. Take Inverness to its
      end and turn left onto Whittington Ave.; take Whittington to its end and
      turn right, into our parking lot. Enter through door "B" in the building to
      your right as you enter the lot.

      Upcoming Shows for 2009!!
      Friday, September 4th:  Qui  (from Japan).
      Saturday, September 12th:  The Muffins.

      Phone: 410-646-7334 - after 2:00pm.
      Email: shows@...