And it's about damned time!!!!!

  • jeffoaster
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      Finally, a championship in Philadelphia. I've been walking around in a
      daze, with a huge grin on my face. Good times indeed!

      Of course, in the not-so-good times department, I just scheduled a
      partial knee replacement surgery for the beginning of December.
      Considering the recovery period and the painkillers involved, I've
      been putting together some personal favorites artists to space out
      with. So far, I've got:

      - Pre-Dark Side Floyd Bootlegs - You can never go wrong with them
      - Pulsar - a personal fave. After my last knee surgery, "The Strands
      of the Future" was cued up and waiting for me in the recovery room.
      - Tarentel - Pretty much everything but "Ghetto Beats," which is a
      little too Out There for me. "Steede Bonnet" (actually everything off
      of From Bone to Satellite) will probably be among the most listened to
      stuff
      - Landing, Stars of the Lid - two recent discoveries for me, but
      really nice shoegazey droney stuff
      - Gabriel-era Genesis, pre-Topo yes - Some classics that never get old

      Any other suggestions? DFA is another good one, and a good bit of the
      70s French Prog bands will probably see some time on my mp3 player.

      And when I'm not doped up and listening to music, I'll be catching up
      on Season 4 of Lost. So maybe it will be a pretty productive couple weeks

      - Jeff, wondering how long the post-championship euphoria will last
    • Mike Reiss
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hey Jeff,

        I'm also from the Philly area and was wondering the same thing. I live right next to major road(in Bucks county) and as soon as they won I didn't hear anything for about ten minutes. Then it kicked in and pretty much all I heard for the next two hours or so was car horns honking and people yelling out of them. It was kind of annoying but I can certainly understand the excitement. If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was New Years at 12:01. It's true that it's been a whilel for the Phillies but in all fairness they did win the National League title in 1983 and 1993. Plus, 1980 when they last won the world series isn't really all that long ago all things considered. I mean I was ten at the time and I"m really that old(yet)am I? Please say it aint so! Lol. Well at least compared to the Boston Red Sox it wasn't that long ago. Some teams go a lot longer and some don't win at all(I'm guessing here I don't follow baseball that closely). It is cool though. I lived in NY in 1980 though (but especially being that both of my parents are originally from NE PHilly) I still remember it.

        Oh and good luck with your knee surgery. I've had knee problems myself(mainly my left knee which went out a long time ago but never really had fixed thanks to an ostensibly incompetent doctor)although to be fair I never really did the exercises he recommended thinking they wouldn't have made much of a difference. Oh well.

        I suggest you listen to "comfortably numb." LOL. Pink Floyd is good for some things especially when you are doped up.

        Strands of the Future is a great album. Also, I recommend listening to "solar music live" by Grobschnitt if you have it. I think that would do the trick. Also, some Camel. I definitely recommend "dust and dreams" or any of the later ones but also "moonmadness" or some other earlier stuff as well. Also, some early Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros. Good luck!

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...>
          wrote:

          > Finally, a championship in Philadelphia.

          What, 98 consecutive seasons between 4 major league sports
          teams without a championship was too long for ya?

          > I've been walking around in a
          > daze, with a huge grin on my face. Good times indeed!

          Me too, although I'm not a huge fan of baseball. Now, if
          the Stanley Cup came to Philly, I'd be grinning for a month.

          Actually, even though I'm not big on baseball, I've found
          myself over the last few years putting Phillies games on the
          TV in the background while doing other things in the summer,
          and occasionally even watching some of them. It's hard to
          sit and focus on a baseball game, 'cause they're so dang
          sloooooooow. They should put a play clock in like football.
          If the pitcher takes more than 30 seconds between pitches
          (including attempted pick-offs), the batter walks.

          Anyway, if I claimed to be a Phillies fan, it would probably
          be a case of bandwagon-jumping, but most of the players on
          the team seem like good guys, so I'm glad they won.

          > Of course, in the not-so-good times department, I just scheduled a
          > partial knee replacement surgery for the beginning of December.
          > Considering the recovery period and the painkillers involved, I've
          > been putting together some personal favorites artists to space out
          > with.
          >
          > Any other suggestions?

          What, you don't space out to Magma?

          How about Miles Davis' "In a Silent Way" or some early Weather
          Report?

          Tangerine Dream

          Fripp's soundscapes

          > - Jeff, wondering how long the post-championship euphoria will last

          If I said "another 25 years", would I get kicked?

          -- Bob
        • jeffoaster
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:
            It's hard to
            > sit and focus on a baseball game, 'cause they're so dang
            > sloooooooow. They should put a play clock in like football.
            > If the pitcher takes more than 30 seconds between pitches
            > (including attempted pick-offs), the batter walks.

            Hey, I'm a huge baseball fan, and I rarely watch it on TV. I believe
            they have a "20 second rule" that awards that will automatically call
            a Ball if the pitcher doesn't throw the pitch, but umps never enforce it

            > Anyway, if I claimed to be a Phillies fan, it would probably
            > be a case of bandwagon-jumping, but most of the players on
            > the team seem like good guys, so I'm glad they won.

            That's okay. Hop on board!

            > What, you don't space out to Magma?
            >
            > How about Miles Davis' "In a Silent Way" or some early Weather
            > Report?
            >
            > Tangerine Dream
            >
            > Fripp's soundscapes

            Magma is a decent choice, and I listened to them a lot last year after
            I crashed on my bike and was on crutches for a week (yes, it was my
            knee that was injured). They're a bit too intense though. I'm looking
            for some nice, mellow stuff.

            TD and Fripp's Soundscapes never really did anything for me. "In a
            Silent Way" is a good choice though. I plan on adding some Pat Metheny
            to the playlist - especially "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita
            Falls." Great album.

            I'm thinking Do Make Say Think would be a good band to cue up. I can
            think of quite a few Italian bands that would work nicely as well -
            maybe I'll even come up with a whole Italian playlist - Osanna, MdC,
            PFM, DFA, Balletto di Bronzo, a little Banco, Finisterre.

            - Jeff