My ProgDay impressions Friday and Day 1

  • progluvr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
      I'm really not a good reviewer but here's a bit of 'review' of my experiences:  Note that all the bands played very well and I didn't think there was a clunker in the bunch, including the 'pre-show'

      Friday we arrived around 3pm or so at the hotel...not a bad drive until we hit 85 not too far from Durham where there were 2 spots of road destruction, er construction. After having a nice refreshing dip in the pool, we got settled in,then had some wonderful Sushi at Kanki (the restaurant right next to the hotel) with our good friend, Debi. After which, we went to the pre-show at the Local 506 club in Chapel Hill. It got started a little later than I had hoped as we had to get up quite early to be at the farm since Paul and I both work early shifts to help ProgDay. A suggestion to future bands who set up these shows...maybe see if it can start earlier and end earlier? Just an idea as we had to leave before Speechless finished.
      Kinetic Element sounded great, some problems with one of the keyboards I know, but they played well and Mike's voice was in good form. A nice symphonic sound!
      Speechless also sounded great, instrumental and I was really enjoying them, but it got to be late and we were tired having been up since about 6am and had to get up at about 6:30am the next morning. I heard that we missed some really good covers and hopefully someone else will describe those.

      Day 1:
      Yes, it got quite warm and the humidity was high (this made it feel even hotter), but I was glad that we were not expecting a hurricane at least!

      Von Frickle: I didn't see the 1st half of their set as I was working the gate but could hear it very well and couldn't wait until my shift ended...at which point I saw in person what you see in their pictures: totally white outfits with white masks and they must have been boiling inside! But they were tearing up the stage and the crowd with their music. Wow, were they good IMHO.

      Holding Pattern: A fine set with lots of guitar work from Tony Spada. He looked a bit cooler in his outfit wearing shorts.

      Abigail's Ghost: I missed the very beginning of their set as I was at the gate again, then I helped a bit at the ProgDay table but I was able to hear it all and see most of it. They are a very talented young band and they sounded good...the Porcupine Tree reference is certainly there. I'm not a huge fan of the current PT, so this is not really my favorite sound..but I enjoyed them and it was good to have a band with vocals, great voice! A note here since they are from Louisiana with Gustav zeroing in, they were thinking they would have to stay in NC until at least Wednesday. I hope that the fact that Gustav weakened a bit....helps them get back to their homes sooner.

      Ain Soph: They didn't disappoint me. There were moments when I was sitting there listening that they just took me away somewhere else. They were ready early and had started about 15 minutes early. About halfway through their set, it started getting a bit cloudy and breezy ..it was welcomed by most everyone as it cooled off a bit, then during their last 2 announced songs, it started to rain lightly...at that point I decided to go under the pavillion for cover and also to get something to drink. As I stood under there enjoying it just as much from that vantage point..they had almost finished when it had started raining harder and thunder and lightning ended the show. This wasn't really close, but for safety reasons, when thunder and lightning is heard, the power is shut off. They had a pretty good long set, but I was told they had a great encore planned and could have played another 30 minutes which is too bad. They were so happy to be in the US for the 1st time...I hope they make it back again!

      Back to the hotel to clean up, we ended up at Kanki again, joined with about 8 others and had some fine appetizers, but a steak dinner this time instead of Sushi...great food, very nice restaurant with a fantastic aquarium of tropical fish. No, they don't raise their own sushi.....at least I don't THINK so!

      Hung out at the pool with a few people for awhile, then got a few hours of sleep to prepare for Day 2 (will review later!)

      -------------
      Deb S.
      "The Prog-Rock Diner"
      www.fcac.org/webr Mondays 5-7pm EST
      www.progrockdiner.com
      ProgDay!
      www.progday.com

    • Roy DeRousse
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
        Thanks for the review, Deb. Another great ProgDay indeed!

        progluvr@... wrote:
        > ProgDay. A suggestion to future bands who set up these shows...maybe see
        > if it can start earlier and end earlier? Just an idea as we had to leave
        > before Speechless finished.

        We skipped the entire pre-show due to the late scheduling. I hated to do
        that, and I especially hated it the next day when people were saying how good
        it was. :-(

        > Von Frickle: I didn't see the 1st half of their set as I was working the
        > gate but could hear it very well and couldn't wait until my shift
        > ended...at which point I saw in person what you see in their pictures:
        > totally white outfits with white masks and they must have been boiling
        > inside! But they were tearing up the stage and the crowd with their
        > music. Wow, were they good IMHO.

        These guys were great - one of my favorites of the festival!

        > Holding Pattern: A fine set with lots of guitar work from Tony Spada. He
        > looked a bit cooler in his outfit wearing shorts.

        I was a bit disappointed by them. They were OK, but nothing to really
        distinguish them. I really enjoy the HP and Spada CDs that I have, so they
        were my biggest disappointment of the festival.

        > Abigail's Ghost: I missed the very beginning of their set as I was at

        I enjoyed them for a while, but they sounded like a lot of "alternative rock"
        bands out there. Very professional and talented, but not enough to hold my
        interest.

        > Ain Soph: They didn't disappoint me. There were moments when I was
        > sitting there listening that they just took me away somewhere else. They
        > were ready early and had started about 15 minutes early. About halfway
        > through their set, it started getting a bit cloudy and breezy ..it was
        > welcomed by most everyone as it cooled off a bit, then during their last
        > 2 announced songs, it started to rain lightly...at that point I decided
        > to go under the pavillion for cover and also to get something to drink.
        > As I stood under there enjoying it just as much from that vantage
        > point..they had almost finished when it had started raining harder and
        > thunder and lightning ended the show. This wasn't really close, but for
        > safety reasons, when thunder and lightning is heard, the power is shut
        > off. They had a pretty good long set, but I was told they had a great
        > encore planned and could have played another 30 minutes which is too
        > bad. They were so happy to be in the US for the 1st time...I hope they
        > make it back again!

        It is too bad that their planned set was cut, especially after traveling so
        far to play here. I enjoyed them, but I wasn't blown away by them as I was
        hoping to be. Nice, well-played music, but maybe they lacked an edge to the
        music or something? A slight disappointment... but maybe I had set my
        expectations too high?

        > Back to the hotel to clean up, we ended up at Kanki again, joined with
        > about 8 others and had some fine appetizers, but a steak dinner this
        > time instead of Sushi...great food, very nice restaurant with a
        > fantastic aquarium of tropical fish. No, they don't raise their own
        > sushi.....at least I don't THINK so!

        Kanki is always a highlight of the trip. Great food plus some entertainment
        from the chefs!

        --
        Have fun!

        Roy DeRousse
      • progluvr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
          In a message dated 9/2/2008 12:17:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, roylayer@... writes:
          Kanki is always a highlight of the trip. Great food plus some entertainment
          from the chefs!

          We actually sat in the sushi bar area this time because the wait for the grill tables was too long,  got seated right away and they cooked the steak dish in the kitchen. I've seen the show before and it was nice to be able to chat with everyone during the meal!  : )

          Deb S.
          "The Prog-Rock Diner" Mondays 5-7pm EST
          www.fcac.org/webr
          www.progrockdiner.com