Re: music is good therapy

  • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 1998
      In the last digest, Eric Baillargeon <ericb@...> wrote:

      [snip]
      >As the music increased in unpleasantness, an area on the
      [snip]
      >On the other hand, as the music increased in pleasantness,

      I wonder what they considered "pleasant"? Sounds like they're
      talking elevator-music here. Personally, that stuff would activate
      the "kill" center of my brain... ;-)

      [snip]

      >Schlaug and fellow researchers used magnetic resonance
      >imaging to compare the brains of 32 right-handed musicians with 24
      >right-handed men who did not play instruments.

      >In another study, Lawrence Parsons and colleagues at the
      >University of Texas in San Antonio found that an area on the right side
      >of the brain interprets written musical notes and passages.
      [snip]
      >Eight right-handed faculty conductors were scanned as they

      Seriously though, I wonder if the fact that I'm left handed is why
      I tend to enjoy "unpleasent, clashing" music as much as "pleasent"
      music (if not more). I wonder why they specifically selected right
      handed people for these tests.