The new Eagles album - it's Craptacular

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2007
      Yeah, I stole "Craptacular" from the Simpsons. But it's
      the only word that comes to mind to describe the new
      Eagles album, "Long Road Out of Eden". I bought it,
      against my better judgement, because they had a big
      display of them when I stopped at Sams Club after work
      to buy a couple cases of water. They only wanted $11.44
      for the two-disc set, so I bought it figuring that out
      of 20 songs, there had to be at least a few good ones.

      Unfortunately, there aren't. Disc one is pretty much
      entirely junk. Makes the kind of music you'd hear in the
      waiting room at the dentist sound aggressive and adventurous.
      Pure bland, cookie-cutter pop with banal lyrics, aimed at
      selling a million copies to the Adult Contemporary crowd,
      with a nod to the Country market. I mean really, it's
      that bad.

      Disc two is a little better. They start off with the ten
      minute title track, which seems to be an attempt to make
      a "Last Resort" sequel, but doesn't quite succeed.

      Don Henley attempts to get political here and there, but
      when the best you can write is "Do Something" (the song
      literally tells people they should "do something" about
      the world, but makes no attempt to say what), maybe it's
      time to give up on that sort of thing. I'll give him
      credit for directly attacking the religious right in the
      song "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" but it seems like
      that's just going to piss off the sort of people who might
      like this album otherwise.

      If "The Long Run" and the tepid new studio tracks on
      "Hell Freezes Over" didn't proove that this band should
      have called it quits after "Hotel California", this disc
      certainly does. They seem to have lost what little
      artistic talent they had left after "Hotel". I don't
      even think this new disc contains any decent Joe Walsh
      guitar solos, or at least I didn't notice any as the
      album droned by.

      Maybe something on the album will grow on me with repeated
      listens, but I doubt it. It's that bad.

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • Rob McMonigal
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2007
        Bice,

        The DJ on our local rock station was trying to make it sound like a
        good album by playing as short a clip as possible from a bunch of
        songs, and you could tell in his voice he was having a hard time not
        going, "this is shit" right on the air. It was classic. Like asking
        John Kerry to say, "please support President Bush" or something.

        And Henley gets the "hypocrite of the year" award for trying to be
        political while signing an exclusive deal with WalMart, whose business
        practices are suspect. (I shop there, too, not judging you, just
        saying that HE has no right to judge anyone now...)

        Rob
        who tossed on Greatest Hits Vol 2 to make himself remember what the
        Eagles used to be...

        PS: Hell Freezes over made/makes me cry. I'm not kidding. I paid a
        dollar and wanted my money back.

        On 10/30/07, biceeichler <eichler2@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, I stole "Craptacular" from the Simpsons. But it's
        > the only word that comes to mind to describe the new
        > Eagles album, "Long Road Out of Eden". I bought it,
        > against my better judgement, because they had a big
        > display of them when I stopped at Sams Club after work
        > to buy a couple cases of water. They only wanted $11.44
        > for the two-disc set, so I bought it figuring that out
        > of 20 songs, there had to be at least a few good ones.
        >
        > Unfortunately, there aren't. Disc one is pretty much
        > entirely junk. Makes the kind of music you'd hear in the
        > waiting room at the dentist sound aggressive and adventurous.
        > Pure bland, cookie-cutter pop with banal lyrics, aimed at
        > selling a million copies to the Adult Contemporary crowd,
        > with a nod to the Country market. I mean really, it's
        > that bad.
        >
        > Disc two is a little better. They start off with the ten
        > minute title track, which seems to be an attempt to make
        > a "Last Resort" sequel, but doesn't quite succeed.
        >
        > Don Henley attempts to get political here and there, but
        > when the best you can write is "Do Something" (the song
        > literally tells people they should "do something" about
        > the world, but makes no attempt to say what), maybe it's
        > time to give up on that sort of thing. I'll give him
        > credit for directly attacking the religious right in the
        > song "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" but it seems like
        > that's just going to piss off the sort of people who might
        > like this album otherwise.
        >
        > If "The Long Run" and the tepid new studio tracks on
        > "Hell Freezes Over" didn't proove that this band should
        > have called it quits after "Hotel California", this disc
        > certainly does. They seem to have lost what little
        > artistic talent they had left after "Hotel". I don't
        > even think this new disc contains any decent Joe Walsh
        > guitar solos, or at least I didn't notice any as the
        > album droned by.
        >
        > Maybe something on the album will grow on me with repeated
        > listens, but I doubt it. It's that bad.
        >
        > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
        >

        > ---
        > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
        > To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Storey, Scott D.(MSFC-IS20)
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2007
          Re: [ProgAndOther] The new Eagles album - it's Craptacular I was afraid that would be the case. Somewhat reminiscent of the release of the last Who album a few months back. I thought to myself, “all these years, and this is the best you can do?” The Eagles have less of an excuse since they have more than one songwriter. That said, I’ve heard two songs off the record on XM radio and they didn’t strike me as terrible. But, I wasn’t on pins and needles to rush out and buy it either. It’s too bad, I’ve been a fan since the first record.

          --
          -scott

          On 10/30/07 7:41 PM, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

          Yeah, I stole "Craptacular" from the Simpsons.  But it's
          the only word that comes to mind to describe the new
          Eagles album, "Long Road Out of Eden".  I bought it,
          against my better judgement, because they had a big
          display of them when I stopped at Sams Club after work
          to buy a couple cases of water.  They only wanted $11.44
          for the two-disc set, so I bought it figuring that out
          of 20 songs, there had to be at least a few good ones.

          Unfortunately, there aren't.  <snip>
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D.(MSFC-IS20)"
            <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

            > That said, I¹ve heard two songs off the
            > record on XM radio and they didn¹t strike me as terrible. But, I
            > wasn¹t on pins and needles to rush out and buy it either.

            I listened to most of the album again today, and it might not be
            as horrible as my first impression of it was. It starts out on a
            promising note with a couple minutes of nearly a capella harmony
            vocals (with just a bit of acoustic guitar backing), similar to
            "Seven Bridges Road" from the "Live" album. And there are a
            few other almost-good songs here and there. The one and only
            track written by Joe Walsh would be OK if it weren't for some
            lame, whispered repeats of the last word of some lines. And there
            were a couple other songs that didn't grate on me as much today.

            But overall it's way too mediocre a disc for a band that put
            together albums like "Desperado" and "Hotel California" in the
            70s though. And the lyrics are uniformly awful. They're almost
            self-parody. I don't know how they could sing a lot of those
            lyrics with a straight face, they're that bad.

            I looked closer at the liner notes and noticed that most of the
            songs were either written or co-written by outside writers,
            which is never a good sign. And the number of small-print
            "supporting" musicians outnumbers the actual band 3 to 1, which
            is just pathetic.

            -- Bob
          • Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS20)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
              Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: The new Eagles album - it's Craptacular

              Yep. One of the songs I heard was a "Joe Walsh" tune which was really a cover of an old blues tune. Joe looked like death warmed over the last video I saw. But the pictures that I saw from this tour may have proved me wrong.

              Unfortunately, I'm too pissed with these guys to generate much hope. However, IMHO Walsh has more talent than any of them, so I hope he comes out of this revived. Call me an uncurable romantic.

              -scott
              -256.698.3199

              > record on XM radio and they didn¹t strike me as terrible. But, I
              > wasn¹t on pins and needles to rush out and buy it either.

              I listened to most of the album again today, and it might not be
              as horrible as my first impression of it was.  It starts out on a
              promising note with a couple minutes of nearly a capella harmony
              vocals (with just a bit of acoustic guitar backing), similar to
              "Seven Bridges Road" from the "Live" album.  And there are a
              few other almost-good songs here and there.  The one and only
              track written by Joe Walsh would be OK if it weren't for some
              lame, whispered repeats of the last word of some lines.  And there
              were a couple other songs that didn't grate on me as much today.

              But overall it's way too mediocre a disc for a band that put
              together albums like "Desperado" and "Hotel California" in the
              70s though.  And the lyrics are uniformly awful.  They're almost
              self-parody.  I don't know how they could sing a lot of those
              lyrics with a straight face, they're that bad.

              I looked closer at the liner notes and noticed that most of the
              songs were either written or co-written by outside writers,
              which is never a good sign.  And the number of small-print
              "supporting" musicians outnumbers the actual band 3 to 1, which
              is just pathetic.

                -- Bob

              ---
              The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
              To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:ProgAndOther-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:ProgAndOther-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Miller, Bryan
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007

                While this album has its moments, it should have been released as a single CD with combining the best from both disks into one.

                For $11.88, IMO it’s definitely worth picking up especially if your an Eagles fan.

                Bryan Miller

                Intergraph Services Company (ISC)

                Intergraph Corporation

                P.O. Box 6724, Huntsville, AL 35813-0724 USA

                P 1.256.730.1894  F 1.256.730.6728

                bryan.miller@...www.intergraphservices.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Miller, Bryan" <wbmiller@...>
                  wrote:

                  > While this album has its moments, it should have been released as
                  > a single CD with combining the best from both disks into one.

                  I somehow missed this message until now...

                  You're absolutely right, it should have been a single disc.
                  I think if I had listened to the second disc first, my
                  reaction wouldn't have been so negative. It still wouldn't
                  be an album I'd be all that thrilled about, but most of the
                  crappiest stuff is on disc 1.

                  Considering that both discs together are just over 90 minutes,
                  surely they could have dropped a few of those songs from disc
                  one and made it a single disc. It would help to re-arrange
                  the track order and put some of the stronger songs first.

                  > For $11.88, IMO it's definitely worth picking up especially if
                  > your an Eagles fan.

                  I hate to admit it, but I keep finding songs from that album
                  stuck in my head. And it's usually the worst songs that get
                  lodged in there. Make it stop!