Dime

  • Alfredo Yung
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi. Bice, if you don't want to wait 18 days to be able to upload your recordings to Dime, www.thetradersden.org is a very good choice. The rules on the two sites are pretty much the same. i.e. if you are going to compress your recordings, you must use a lossless format (such as FLAC, APE or SHN). No MP3s are allowed.

      Cheers
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Alfredo Yung" <alfredoyung@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi. Bice, if you don't want to wait 18 days to be able to upload your
        > recordings to Dime, www.thetradersden.org is a very good choice.

        That's the first I've heard of that one. Most people I talked
        to mentioned Dime, so I figured that was the popular one.

        I'll check the Trader's Den out sometime when I have some free
        time. Maybe I can upload the ProgDay recordings to both places.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
          wrote:

          > Hi. Bice, if you don't want to wait 18 days to be able to upload your
          > recordings to Dime, www.thetradersden.org is a very good choice.

          Well, I read through all the rules at Trader's Den (they're
          even more complicated than Dime), and I attempted to upload
          the Morglbl Trio ProgDay Preshow set up there. I have no idea
          if I did it correctly or not. It hasn't shown up on their list
          of most recent seeds, although I only posted it a few minutes
          ago. Does it usually take a while?

          I'm looking for a volunteer to try to download it from there
          (assuming it eventually shows up on their seed list) and let
          me know if you could get it or not...

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

            > Well, I read through all the rules at Trader's Den (they're
            > even more complicated than Dime), and I attempted to upload
            > the Morglbl Trio ProgDay Preshow set up there. I have no idea
            > if I did it correctly or not. It hasn't shown up on their list
            > of most recent seeds, although I only posted it a few minutes
            > ago. Does it usually take a while?

            I've got to learn not to be so impatient. It showed up on the
            Trader's Den's tracker about 30 seconds after I posted the above.

            > I'm looking for a volunteer to try to download it from there
            > (assuming it eventually shows up on their seed list) and let
            > me know if you could get it or not...

            Someone - have at it. Let me know if it works.

            I tried opening the torrent in my own torrent program, but it
            just sits there showing a blue arrow, which I think means that
            it's trying to download it but can't. Is that because it's on
            my own computer?

            Why does this have to be so hard in the day and age of point
            and click...

            -- Bob
          • Robert Marone
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
              bob,

              it shows up on traders den...but you have to seed it:

              - download the .torrent file from the traders den site.
              you can find it here:
              scroll down to where it says attached files...right click the link to the .torrent file,
              (save as) save to your desktop.

              -open the file
              when the dialog box comes up (not sure what client you're using), browse to the folder you have the audio files in.

              your client should then check to see you have all the files and start seeding.
              (a green light or green arrow or some such)

              bony
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Marone" <bony618@...>
                wrote:

                > bob,
                >
                > it shows up on traders den...but you have to seed it:
                >
                > - download the .torrent file from the traders den site.
                > you can find it here:
                > http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?
                t=46337&highlight=morglbl
                > scroll down to where it says attached files...right click the link
                to the .torrent file,
                > (save as) save to your desktop.
                >
                > -open the file
                > when the dialog box comes up (not sure what client you're using),
                browse to the folder you have the audio files in.

                I've tried this, but it doesn't work. I'm using uTorrent as my
                client, but I used Trader's Little Helper to create the actual
                .torrent file (because it has a drop-down list of the URLs for
                the most popular torrent sites, whereas uTorrent makes you type
                them in manually).

                Anyway, I tried to use uTorrent to open the .torrent file that
                Trader's Little Helper created, and it tried to do a download
                instead of an upload. So then I picked "Create New Torrent",
                which seemed to be the only other option, and uTorrent overlaid
                the .torrent file that Trader's Little Helper had crated, but
                at least uTorrent is now showing me as a seeder and not a
                downloader. But it still has the red arrow.

                Do I have to upload the .torrent file that uTorrent created
                to the Trader's Den? Is there any way I can modify the existing
                entry to use the new .torrent file, or do I have to start a
                new thread?

                Damn, this is way too hard...

                -- Bob
              • Robert Marone
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                  bob,

                  DON'T use the .torrent file you created.
                  you have to download it from the torrent's page on traders den.
                  then open THAT .torrent file in your client (making sure to point it at the folder containing the flac files).

                  it's not really that hard once you get the hang of it...and it seems you're only that one small step away from making it work.
                  the torrent is fine.
                  you just need to successfully seed it.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                    wrote:

                    >(making sure to point it at the folder containing the flac
                    > files).

                    BINGO!!! That's the part I was screwing up. I was paranoid
                    that if I opend the .torrent file and pointed it at the
                    directory where my original files were, that they would get
                    overlaid somehow. I was trying to open the torrent and
                    point it a an empty folder, assuming that the files would
                    get copied over and seeded from there. D'oh.

                    Anyway, it seems like it's all ready to go - it's in
                    "seeding" mode and I've got a green upload arrow. Give it
                    a try and see if it will work this time.

                    -- Bob
                  • Robert Marone
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                      if anyone wants...this show is now being (somewhat) successfully seeded here:

                      unless bob decides to change something again.

                      ;-)
                    • Roy DeRousse
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
                        biceeichler wrote:
                        > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Marone" <bony618@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> (making sure to point it at the folder containing the flac
                        >> files).
                        >
                        > BINGO!!! That's the part I was screwing up. I was paranoid
                        > that if I opend the .torrent file and pointed it at the
                        > directory where my original files were, that they would get
                        > overlaid somehow. I was trying to open the torrent and
                        > point it a an empty folder, assuming that the files would
                        > get copied over and seeded from there. D'oh.
                        >
                        > Anyway, it seems like it's all ready to go - it's in
                        > "seeding" mode and I've got a green upload arrow. Give it
                        > a try and see if it will work this time.
                        >
                        > -- Bob

                        I'm on it! I'm glad that you were able to figure out Bit Torrent. It is a
                        bit confusing at first, but it makes a lot of sense once you understand what
                        it is really doing. Thanks for being persistent! And thanks again for making
                        your recordings available.

                        --
                        Have fun!

                        Roy DeRousse
                      • Robert Marone
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
                          hey bob,

                          i just got home from work and am just now listening to your morglbl recording.
                          very nice indeed!
                          i gotta say, when i saw that you recorded it on a handheld cassette w/ internal mics, i was a little skeptical...but it actually sounds quite good.
                          a bit of (expected) compression on the loud bits, but very clear and defined.
                          and you say the storybook recordings (w/ external mics) sound even better?
                          looking forward to them as well.

                          thanks for sharing
                          bony
                          np:morglbl - progday 07 preshow
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > hey bob,
                            >
                            > i just got home from work and am just now listening to your morglbl
                            recording.
                            > very nice indeed!
                            > i gotta say, when i saw that you recorded it on a handheld cassette
                            w/ internal mics, i was a little skeptical...but it actually sounds
                            quite good.

                            Yeah, that tape recorder belongs to a guy I used to work with.
                            He loaned it to me a few years ago to record the preshow because
                            I didn't want to mess with setting up my own microphones. I wasn't
                            expecting decent sound quality at all, and was very surprised when
                            the show ended up sounding pretty good. In fact, I sent a copy to
                            Smokin' Granny (since they were one of the bands), and the bass
                            player wanted to put it up on their website as an "official
                            bootleg". Don't know if he ever did.

                            > a bit of (expected) compression on the loud bits, but very clear
                            and defined.
                            > and you say the storybook recordings (w/ external mics) sound even
                            better?

                            Oh yeah, much better. Out at Storybook I actually set up a couple
                            fairly decent microphones and try to find a spot as close to the
                            soundboard as I can get. Try the Oblivion Sun set I just put up
                            and see what you think.

                            > thanks for sharing

                            I'm the kind of person that just loves to spread my audience
                            recordings around, so this bit torrent thing is perfect for me.