Re: Looking for good music download tips

  • Brandon Wu
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...>
      wrote:
      > I have heard good things about dimeadozen, and will probably
      > try to figure it out once I've exhausted archive.org. After
      > trying to get three computers hooked up to our new home
      > wireless router, plus migrate from an XP machine to a Vista
      > machine at the same time, I'm REALLY burnt out on installing,
      > debugging and figuring things out right now. I was about
      > ready to throw my new PC out the window a couple days ago
      > when I couldn't figure out how to convert SHN to WAV. I
      > eventually found a program that can do it and works in Vista.

      Another thing to note is that most recordings on Dimeadozen are
      shared in FLAC format, another lossless format that can be coverted
      into WAV if you so wish (but finding an audio program that can just
      play FLAC and SHN natively is probably a better idea because they are
      so much more space-efficient than WAV).

      > BTW, how do you find time to listen to all that stuff?

      Er... sometimes I don't. Especially this summer. I have a pretty
      enormous backlog that I need to figure out how to deal with. It's a
      perpetual problem!
    • jeffoaster
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2007
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Alfredo Yung" <alfredoyung@...>
        wrote:

        > I downloaded some very interesting stuff from a band called "Fly Pan Am"
        > from dimeadozen. I think they are a Godspeed YBE! offspin.

        They have a concert over at archive, which I downloaded, but only
        listended to a couple of times. It didn't quite do anything for me,
        but I don't think I gave them enough listens. I'll have to check them
        out again.

        Speaking of GYBE offshoots, you should check out Hrsta. I got a really
        brief show of theirs at dime - I don't know if it's still there or
        not, but there is a decent concert of theirs at archive.

        - Jeff
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2007
          wrote:

          > http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/ Genesis and Genesis related only.
          > Excellent site. Chek out also http://www.genesis-movement.co.uk/ for
          > database of every single Genesis non official audio or video recording
          > available
          >
          > http://www.thetradersden.org/

          Those sound promising, espeically the Genesis one. Thanks for
          the info.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2007
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Wu" <yahooooo@...> wrote:

            > Another thing to note is that most recordings on Dimeadozen are
            > shared in FLAC format, another lossless format that can be coverted
            > into WAV if you so wish (but finding an audio program that can just
            > play FLAC and SHN natively is probably a better idea because they are
            > so much more space-efficient than WAV).

            My problem is that I do most of my listening at work, with a
            portable CD player that only supports CD Audio and MP3. So I
            have to get stuff converted to WAV and burned to CD in order
            to listen to it.

            I went through a dozen CDRs this week alone though, so I guess
            an iPod or something is probably in my future.

            -- Bob

            PS - I did find a program that works with Windows Vista and can
            convert FLAC to WAV, but every time I run it I get errors unless
            I right-click on it and say "Run as Administrator". Then Vista
            gives me that ultra-annoying prompt to ask whether I REALLY want
            to run it as an administrator (that prompt comes up ALL THE
            FRIGGIN TIME in Vista, and it's really irritating). Anyway, if
            I run the program as an administrator, it runs fine.

            Have I mentioned how much Vista sucks?