Homemade Mellotron

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2007
      This might be old news, but I just saw this on the Zappa newsgroup:

      http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html

      It's a web page that details a keyboard enthusiast's creation of
      a home made Mellotron, using an old keyboard and a bunch of gutted
      Walkmans (Walkmen?). Kind of neat.

      -- Bob
    • pete
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
        Bob,
        I first saw it via the Mellotron list-really cool!
        Pete

        biceeichler wrote:
        > This might be old news, but I just saw this on the Zappa newsgroup:
        >
        > http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html
        >
        > It's a web page that details a keyboard enthusiast's creation of
        > a home made Mellotron, using an old keyboard and a bunch of gutted
        > Walkmans (Walkmen?). Kind of neat.
        >
        > -- Bob

      • Bobby Simons
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
          At the other end of the spectrum, have you seen this one? Looks like they may have done it right. . .
          http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/index.html

          biceeichler wrote:
          > This might be old news, but I just saw this on the Zappa newsgroup:
          >
          > http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html
          >
          > It's a web page that details a keyboard enthusiast's creation of
          > a home made Mellotron, using an old keyboard and a bunch of gutted
          > Walkmans (Walkmen?). Kind of neat.
          >
          > -- Bob

          Bobby Simons
          boo@...
          IM: patentdraw

        • jeffoaster
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

            > This might be old news, but I just saw this on the Zappa newsgroup:
            >
            > http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html
            >
            > It's a web page that details a keyboard enthusiast's creation of
            > a home made Mellotron, using an old keyboard and a bunch of gutted
            > Walkmans (Walkmen?). Kind of neat.
            >
            > -- Bob

            I've seen that before. Seems like a lot of effort, but not everybody
            can enjoy reading as a hobby. 8^/

            I personally like this one: http://www.mellotronics.com/skellotron.htm

            - Jeff

            np: Dirty Three, Horse Stories
          • progholio@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007

              That Memotron is very cool and i would have one in a heartbeat if it were under a grand. i don't understand why a sampling keyboard with a cool wooden case is $2700, sample disc not included!

              rich

              biceeichler wrote:
              > This might be old news, but I just saw this on the Zappa newsgroup:
              >
              > http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html
              >
              > It's a web page that details a keyboard enthusiast's creation of
              > a home made Mellotron, using an old keyboard and a bunch of gutted
              > Walkmans (Walkmen?). Kind of neat.
              >
              > -- Bob

              Bobby Simons
              boo@...
              IM: patentdraw

              Click to receive credit card help and get out of debt fast
            • progholio@juno.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
                While on this thread, could anybody offer any suggestions on how to
                get the best mellotron sound on the cheap? I would be interested in
                finding something that would not require the use of a computer that's
                easy to set up for live performance.
                ???
                rich

                Click to receive credit card help and get out of debt fast
                http://track.juno.com/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6iifRlP8X0q1Oe2Z8AvLoYeqcvcBhQYeDTOunsVaGReRxdsBWQ/
              • Jon Byrne
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
                  At 07:42 AM 6/26/2007, Bobby Simmonswrote:
                  >At the other end of the spectrum, have you seen this one? Looks like
                  >they may have done it right. . .
                  >http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/index.html

                  Just add to the list of faux 'trons, if you've got $130 and a
                  computer, you can have one on your desktop:
                  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/GForceMTron-main.html

                  I use it as a plugin with ACID Music Studio and it's a hoot (it works
                  as a stand alone, too). They used samples recorded from real
                  Mellotron tapes so they come with all the flaws (8 second sustain,
                  limited range, etc.) that made the Mellotron so loveable. Much easier
                  to just lug a laptop around, tho'!

                  Jonathan Byrne
                  Infinity Ranch: http://infinityranch.blogspot.com
                  "[y]ou are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence."
                  - Time Bandits
                  "Debbie, we're going to need some law books. With pictures this time."
                  - Harvery Birdman, Attorney-at-Law