Advent (NJ Proghouse 5-19-07)

  • Robert Marone
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2007
      ok....i'm just gonna come right out and say it:

      advent is one of the best bands i've ever seen in my life!
      (and i say that without reservation, nor with any attempt at hyperbole)

      after much anticipation, advent made their live debut last nite to a packed house at the progschool in metuchen, nj. (just under 100 people were privileged to witness this amazing performance).
      alan benjamin and henry ptak have assembled a group of extremely talented musicians to pull off henry's sublime compositions.
      compositions of incredible depth and complexity.
      compositions full of patience and maturity.
      compositions which gather up the listener's psyche, and take it on a mystical, enthralling journey.

      as obviously talented as these six musicians are, there is no sense of "showing off"....no display of "monster chops". rather just a sense of serving the music. diligent, precise, and wholly appropriate performances.
      as demanding and difficult as these arrangements are, they also somehow managed to have a great deal of FUN performing them.

      perhaps the most amazing thing about this band is the fact that they only just began rehearsing as a unit this past april. i couldn't imagine even learning and memorizing these pieces in less than two months (let alone performing them as a group in near-perfect fashion)!

      advent will be performing at this year's "progday" festival in storybook farm n.c.
      i would advise any fan of adventurous music to make it their business to be there.
      (i know i will).

      check out their website:

      you have been put on notice

      ;-)
      bony

    • magnus1@charter.net
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2007
        Wow! What a pos, bony!

        Now, I *really* can't wait for ProgDay! Advent. Naikaku. The first US appearance of Nemo. Plus two headliners that have not been announced!

        Doug