Re: The G's Continued........

  • Jeff Swanson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2007
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@ wrote:
      > >
      > > 278.GENESIS â€" AND THEN THERE WERE THREE â€" 1978
      > >
      > > 279.GENESIS â€" DUKE â€" 1980
      > >
      > > 280.GENESIS â€" ABACAB â€" 1981
      > >
      > > 281.GENESIS â€" INVISIBLE TOUCH â€" 1986
      > >
      > > 282.GENESIS â€" WE CAN’T DANCE â€" 1991
      > >
      > > 283. GENESIS â€" CALLING ALL STATIONS â€" 1997
      >
      > I take it you don't find the self-titled album worth
      > owning on CD. Not that I blame you, but if you're
      > going to own the rest of those latter-day Genesis
      > albums, you might as well complete the collection.

      Actually, I find the omission of Trespass (1970) and Lamb Lies Down..
      (1974?) to be more surprising. I saw that these were being listed
      before commenting. Both are outstanding releases (although I admit -
      Trespass does sound a bit dated - but hey - it is 37 years old).

      > > 287.KEVIN GILBERT â€" THE SHAMING OF THE TRUE â€" 2000
      >
      > If you like "Shaming", you should definitely try to find a
      > copy of "Thud". Despite the fact that I like it a lot, I
      > think it would be right up your alley. :-)

      Yep, copies of Thud are out there along with some live bootlegs...
      just incredibly hard to find. Giraffe is another band that Kevin
      Gilbert was involved with. Very different from "Shaming", "Thud",
      and "Toy Matinee" - reminds me of Frankie Goes To Hollywood (lots of
      techno ear candy). "Imagemaker" was on a Giraffe release called "The
      Power of Suggestion".

      Thanks for taking time to post your music library Steve. I enjoy the
      commentary, and it rattles the ol' memory banks a bit.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2007
        I don't have the yellow album on CD, just on vinyl which is why I did not review it.  I have also heard good things about the Shaw Blades project.

        Steve Sly
        ProgDay 2007
        http://www.progday.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2007
          Bob wrote:

           >>take it you don't find the self-titled album worth
          owning on CD. Not that I blame you, but if you're
          going to own the rest of those latter-day Genesis
          albums, you might as well complete the collection.<<

          I do own in on vinyl, but for some reason have never replaced it on CD.  I'm not really sure why.  I will probably pick it up used one of these days.

          >>Man, I can't stand that song. Like nails on a chalkboard.
          I'm just sayin'.<<

          "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" did get way overplayed.  I still like it ok, but there is a lot of their other stuff that I like better.

          I>>f you like "Shaming", you should definitely try to find a
          copy of "Thud". Despite the fact that I like it a lot, I
          think it would be right up your alley. :-)<<

          I have always wanted to explore more of Gilbert's stuff........just haven't for some reason.  I will have to give "Thud" a try.

          >>PS - figure out what's screwing up your quote marks -
          you're
          killin' me here!<<

          I still don't know why it is doing it.  It does not come through that way to me when I open it from the yahoogroup, but obviously it is still coming through to everyone else with the quotes screwed up.  I'll see if I can try something different.

          Steve Sly
          Progday 2007

          See what's free at AOL.com.
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2007
            In a message dated 4/17/2007 9:44:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jswanson1@... writes:

            Jeff wrote:

            >>Actually, I find the omission of Trespass (1970) and Lamb Lies
            Down..
            (1974?) to be more surprising. I saw that these were being listed
            before commenting. Both are outstanding releases (although I admit -
            Trespass does sound a bit dated - but hey - it is 37 years old).<<

            Yea, it is kind of weird that I do not own either of these.  I have always liked "The Lamb", but for some reason have never bought it.  I have always liked "The Knife" off of "Trespass", but have never really had a great desire to get the album.

            >>Thanks for taking time to post your music library Steve. I enjoy
            the
            commentary, and it rattles the ol' memory banks a bit.<<

            Yes, it has been fun going through everything again.

            >>NP> Sonny Landreth - Grant Street<<

            Cool, I "discovered" Landreth about a year ago and now have most of his albums.  I will be getting to the L's down the road.

            Steve Sly
            ProgDay 2007

            See what's free at AOL.com.