Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Isis at the TLA 3/13

  • Mark Pilon
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007

      Oceanic

      Panopticon

      In The Absence of Truth (that's my favorite)

      If you like them, try Red Sparrowes and Cult Of Luna.

      Mark

      From: Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...>
      To: ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Isis at the TLA 3/13
      Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:46:08 +0000 (UTC)

      Speaking of Isis, I turned up a CD of theirs called "In the Absence of
      Truth" the other day in the used rack at my local CD store. On the off
      chance that it's still around the next time I go by, is it one of their
      better albums? If not, what's a good album of theirs to try?

      --
      Noah Lesgold nlesgold@freeshell. org AIM: nlesgold

      "You know, Beta, in the lab you were raised in, we took gene samples from
      the animals, not the other way around." "Sorry, Mom."
      --Narbonic

      RealLiveMoms: Share your experience with Real Live Moms just like you.
    • Brandon Wu
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...>
        wrote:

        > Speaking of Isis, I turned up a CD of theirs called "In the Absence
        > of Truth" the other day in the used rack at my local CD store. On
        > the off chance that it's still around the next time I go by, is it
        > one of their better albums? If not, what's a good album of theirs
        > to try?

        That's their latest one and a pretty good one. My favorite by far is
        "Panopticon," with "Oceanic" a distant second, but "In the Absence of
        Truth" will give you a good idea of what they're all about.

        I've reviewed most of their albums at Ground & Sky if you're
        interested.

        Red Sparowes is a good additional recommendation, I'd add Pelican as
        well - kind of an instrumental version of Isis.
      • Jeff Oaster
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of Isis, I turned up a CD of theirs called "In the Absence of
          > Truth" the other day in the used rack at my local CD store. On the off
          > chance that it's still around the next time I go by, is it one of their
          > better albums? If not, what's a good album of theirs to try?
          >
          > --

          I'll second Louis' recommendation of Panopticon as their best. In the
          Absence of Truth is extremely good though, and I would say sounds more
          Tool-like than any of their other albums - especially with regards to
          the drums.

          Noah, if you like Neurosis, than Isis is pretty much a no-brainer.
          They've basically taken Neurosis' sound and ran with it, and darn near
          perfected the hybrid post-metal genre.

          -Jeff
        • Andy
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
            From: Mark Pilon

            Oceanic
            Panopticon
            In The Absence of Truth (that's my favorite)
            If you like them, try Red Sparrowes and Cult Of Luna.
            Mark

            >and Russian Circles and Irepress..both very, very good!!

            Cheers

            Andy