the who

  • Storey, Scott D. (JSC-IT2)
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
      Steve, what's your opinion of Endless Wire? I've got it too, but have made only one pass through so far. My initial reaction is "They've had all these years to come up with an album, and this is it?" Needless to say, I was under whelmed.

      -sds
      - np - nothing unfortunately, but I did listen to Gov't Mule's "High and Mighty", good stuff

      ________________________________

      Steve Sly
      Progday 2007
      http://www.progday.com <http://www.progday.com/>
      (NP - The Who - Endless Wire)..........speaking of voices not being what they used to be.......
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
        Danger Boy Wrote:

        >>Steve, what's your opinion of Endless Wire? I've got it too, but
        have made only one pass through so far. My initial reaction is "They've had all these years to come up with an album, and this is it?" Needless to say, I was under whelmed.<<

        Unfortunately I have to agree with you.  I was really really looking forward to this album.  To me, The Who are one of the all time great rock an roll bands and I was hoping they would make a blazing return to glory.  "Endless Wire" is not it unfortunately.  It is not a bad album, but it certainly does not blow me away.  The Who always had a lot of power behind their music, but I don't know if it is just the production or what but "Wire" seems rather lifeless in comparison to some of their older stuff.  I recently watched a DVD from before John Entwistle's death and the guy really was a monster bass player.  I always thought he was underrated as a songwriter too.  Maybe his loss was more of a blow to the creative forces in the band that I would have thought.  I think the sad fact that Daltry and Townshends voices have really deteriorated does not help matters either.  I just saw The Who in 2002 and they both still sounded pretty good then, but some of the vocals on the new disc are pretty shakey.  Still.....with all that there are parts of it I like.  The mini-opera is pretty good, and the rest of the album is at least decent.

        Do you have the version with the DVD?  I tell ya......the DVD is painfull to watch.  Daltry's voice is horrible and the band just seems to play with a lot of lethargy.  I am really curious as to why they even released it.  I have tickets to see The Who next Thursday night in Grand Rapids and I am worried.  They were great in 2002, but I am hoping things have not deteriorated to what is recorded on the DVD.

        Steve Sly
        ProgDay 2007
        (NP - Interpose - Interpose)
      • progholio@juno.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006

          It's good to read some of these comments. I had a curiosity about this supposed "comeback" for The Who (it seems weird to refer to them as that, why couldn't they have just gone by Roger & Pete) but the couple of songs i have heard so far left me unimpressed. The critical praise i read that says things like "best effort since It's Hard" isn't doing anything to sell me on it either  definitley gonna pass. I'm glad they are not going to be here in town or i probably would of gotten roped into going.

          On a side note i had a business trip cancelled for Friday and it frees me up to catch The New York Dolls, that should be a rockin' little show. Everything i've heard from their comback cd sounds damn fine, no shakey vocals on that one if your a fan of David/Buster Johanson.

          rich

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
            "The Best Effort Since It's Hard".......I find that funny considering "It's Hard" was the last album of new music that they put out so of course it would be their best effort since :-)  I don't want to totally put people off on the album as it is not really bad. It is worth picking up if you are a fan of the band, but I had my expectations set up way high for this one and the album does not come close to meeting them.

            I never got into the Dolls, but it should be a fun show.

            Steve Sly
            ProgDay 2007
            (NP - Cheap Trick - Greatest Hits)

            -- stevesly@aol. com wrote:
            Danger Boy Wrote:

            >>Steve, what's your opinion of Endless Wire? I've got it too, but have made only one pass through so far. My initial reaction is "They've had all these years to come up with an album, and this is it?" Needless to say, I was under whelmed.<<

            Unfortunately I have to agree with you.  I was really really looking forward to this album.  To me, The Who are one of the all time great rock an roll bands and I was hoping they would make a blazing return to glory.  "Endless Wire" is not it unfortunately.  It is not a bad album, but it certainly does not blow me away.  The Who always had a lot of power behind their music, but I don't know if it is just the production or what but "Wire" seems rather lifeless in comparison to some of their older stuff.  I recently watched a DVD from before John Entwistle's death and the guy really was a monster bass player.  I always thought he was underrated as a songwriter too.  Maybe his loss was more of a blow to the creative forces in the band that I would have thought.  I think the sad fact that Daltry and Townshends voices have really deteriorated does not help matters either.  I just saw The Who in 2002 and they both still sounded pretty good then, but some of the vocals on the new disc are pretty shakey.  Still.....with all that there are parts of it I like.  The mini-opera is pretty good, and the rest of the album is at least decent.

            Do you have the version with the DVD?  I tell ya......the DVD is painfull to watch.  Daltry's voice is horrible and the band just seems to play with a lot of lethargy.  I am really curious as to why they even released it.  I have tickets to see The Who next Thursday night in Grand Rapids and I am worried.  They were great in 2002, but I am hoping things have not deteriorated to what is recorded on the DVD.

            Steve Sly
            ProgDay 2007
            (NP - Interpose - Interpose)

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
            Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

          • Storey, Scott D. (JSC-IT2)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
              I do have the version with the DVD, but have not yet watched it. Maybe I won't. My daughter enjoys watching concert video, especially of bands from the 60s and 70s. So, I thought seeing a video of one of the most powerful live bands ever would be a good idea. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the version of The Who on my copy of Woodstock.

              BTW, it's good to see that you are pro-gay and getting away from that silly progday business :>)

              -db
              -was playing - jimmy buffett - banana wind

              ________________________________

              Do you have the version with the DVD? I tell ya......the DVD is painfull to watch. Daltry's voice is horrible and the band just seems to play with a lot of lethargy. I am really curious as to why they even released it. I have tickets to see The Who next Thursday night in Grand Rapids and I am worried. They were great in 2002, but I am hoping things have not deteriorated to what is recorded on the DVD.

              Steve Sly
              ProgDay 2007
              http://www.progay.com <http://www.progay.com/>
              (NP - Interpose - Interpose)
            • progholio@juno.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Danger wrote:

                  >>I do have the version with the DVD, but have not yet watched it.
                  Maybe I won't. My daughter enjoys watching concert video, especially of bands from the 60s and 70s. So, I thought seeing a video of one of the most powerful live bands ever would be a good idea. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the version of The Who on my copy of Woodstock.<<

                  You've got to watch it, but I also have the 3 DVD set put out a while ago that has the complete Tommy concert from 1989, and the complete Quadraphenia concert from the late 90's and they both blow it away.

                  >>BTW, it's good to see that you are pro-gay and
                  getting away from that silly progday business :>)<<

                  Yes, it's going to be a whole new festival.

                  >>-was playing - jimmy buffett - banana
                  wind<<

                  So what is your impression?  I think it is one of his best latter day releases.

                  Steve Sly
                  ProgDay 2007
                  (NP - The Rolling Stones - Exile On Mainstreet)