Re: Mastadon

  • Brandon Wu
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2006
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Jon Byrne <pylondodger@...>
      wrote:

      > Can anbody offer any opinions on Mastadon? There's a big write up
      > in today's New York Times about them (http://tinyurl.com/nc78l)
      > that name drops most of the 70s prog heavyweights (Yes, Genesis,
      > Crimson, etc.) and compares the drummer's skills to Bruford's and
      > Bill Cobhams.
      >
      > Sounds interesting for an epic metal band, so I'd be interested in
      > what anybody thinks of their stuff.

      Love 'em, but beware - if you're not into death metal-style growled
      vocals, they use these liberally. The first album ("Remission") is a
      bit more spastic grindcore and the second ("Leviathan") is more
      straightforward and proggy. It's kind of weird, I think I like the
      first album better, but the second one ends up in my CD player more
      often. Regardless, great metal band. I'm excited about their new
      one.

      my full thoughts on the first two albums...
      http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=mast-rem
      http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=mast-lev