Re: Onto the last page with V

  • jeffoaster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2006
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Bob Eichler <eichler@...> wrote:

      > I'm loving these short sections - only 13 CDs in the collection
      > with titles starting with "V"...
      >
      > Van Halen, Van Halen and Van Halen II -

      Maybe it's just me, but I find Eddie Van Halen to be way overrated,
      especially with regards to some of his "innovations." Steve Hackett
      once said that he wished he released a solo album in 1971 called
      "Tapping" just so he could be credited with being the first rock
      guitarist to tap (and I believe there were other guitarists to do it
      as well even before Hackett)

      > Jimmy Buffett, Volcano - ah, nothing like a little Buffett on a
      > nice summer afternoon.

      Well, I woundn't mind getting bamboo stuck under my nails, or maybe an
      icepick in one of my eyes. Buffett is one of my least favorite
      artists, ever. I'm not sure what it is, but hearing him makes me want
      to uproot a few trees and overturn a car or two.

      > Next up is the "W" section, which is a bit longer - I'll probably
      > have to split that into two or three parts. But the end is in
      > sight, finally...

      np: Thork, WeIla.

      This one is pretty sure to *not* be in Bob's list. I bought it a
      couple of years ago, but have played it only sporadically until
      recently. I've given it a few spins the past few days and it is really
      growing on me. It's sorta dark, in the way that the French bands seem
      to have perfected. I think I like Nil better (and I really need to get
      Nil's recent album), but Thork and the other Nil-related band, Syrinx,
      are both very good.

      - Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2006
        Dammit, I hate YahooGroup's new HTML formatted digests. Not only
        are they hard to read, but the reply that I tried to send to this
        message yesterday never went through. Grrr.....

        "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...> wrote:

        > > Jimmy Buffett, Volcano - ah, nothing like a little Buffett on a
        > > nice summer afternoon.
        >
        > Well, I woundn't mind getting bamboo stuck under my nails, or
        > maybe an icepick in one of my eyes. Buffett is one of my least
        > favorite artists, ever.

        Heretic.

        > I'm not sure what it is, but hearing him makes me want
        > to uproot a few trees and overturn a car or two.

        Hmmm, maybe hearing Jimmy Buffett turns you into a hurricane.

        Anyway, I can understand why someone might not like some of his
        stuff, especially the albums of, oh, say, the last two decades
        or so. But his 70s and early 80s albums have a lot of well
        written singer/songwriter type tunes on them. I know it's all
        just a matter of taste, but I can't understand how Jimmy's better
        songs could drive someone to destroy shrubbery or rotate more
        than just the tires.

        Eh, to each his own.

        > > Next up is the "W" section, which is a bit longer - I'll probably
        > > have to split that into two or three parts. But the end is in
        > > sight, finally...
        >
        > np: Thork, WeIla.
        >
        > This one is pretty sure to *not* be in Bob's list.

        Nope, can't say that I've ever hear of it. Although "Thork" sounds
        like it could be the title of a 90s King Crimson album.

        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • jeffoaster
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

          > Anyway, I can understand why someone might not like some of his
          > stuff, especially the albums of, oh, say, the last two decades
          > or so. But his 70s and early 80s albums have a lot of well
          > written singer/songwriter type tunes on them. I know it's all
          > just a matter of taste, but I can't understand how Jimmy's better
          > songs could drive someone to destroy shrubbery or rotate more
          > than just the tires.

          A Shrubbery? (You'll have to imagine the Python voices)

          To each his own indeed. I'm sure that me and Stan Whitaker aren't the
          only non-Buffett fans out there.

          > Nope, can't say that I've ever hear of it. Although "Thork" sounds
          > like it could be the title of a 90s King Crimson album.

          heh. Yeah, except that Crimson would have called it "ThorKC"

          np: some wanky Mars Volta improv (talk about a redundancy).

          And that's as good a reason as any for me to start discussing their
          new album - due out on my daughter's birthday (I think it's a good
          time for her to learn the hobbit method of birthday gift buying). The
          sound sample I heard over at myspace sounded quite good, although
          maybe a bit overproduced. I've heard some people who've downloaded the
          "leaked" version of it say that it has less filler than Frances the
          Mute, which is a good thing, FTM was really great, but they could've
          easily trimmed about 15 minutes off of it and fit the title track on
          there with room to spare.

          - Jeff

          - Jeff