Annual ProgDay hotel grovel

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2006
      So I called the Comfort Inn that's the offical ProgDay hotel
      this afternoon to try to reserve a room. The woman asks
      what kind of room I want. I say preferrably non-smoking,
      and I'll be by myself so it doesn't even have to have 2 beds.
      She says that all they have available for that weekend are
      smoking doubles (so why even ask what I wanted?). I ask how
      much one of those would be, and she puts me on hold for a
      few minutes. She finally comes back and says "All we have
      available for that weekend is a non-smoking suite at $139 a
      night". Pass.

      So...anyone looking for a roommate? Preferrably someone who
      already has a room reserved? At this point I don't care if
      it's smoking or non-smoking or if I have to sleep on the
      floor (I've got a nice air mattress). I'd just like to stay
      at the official ProgDay hotel.

      -- Bob
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
        Bob,
        Did you contact the # listed on the website?
        919-490-4949? Your post spurred me to action,
        I just now reserved a non-smoking for the ProgDay rate
        ($69) Make sure you mention the progday rate and
        try again. It's hard to find good help these days but
        the lady I spoke with knew about ProgDay.

        Jeff

        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...>
        wrote:

        > So I called the Comfort Inn that's the offical ProgDay hotel
        > this afternoon to try to reserve a room. The woman asks
        > what kind of room I want. I say preferrably non-smoking,
        > and I'll be by myself so it doesn't even have to have 2 beds.
        > She says that all they have available for that weekend are
        > smoking doubles (so why even ask what I wanted?). I ask how
        > much one of those would be, and she puts me on hold for a
        > few minutes. She finally comes back and says "All we have
        > available for that weekend is a non-smoking suite at $139 a
        > night". Pass.
        >
        > So...anyone looking for a roommate? Preferrably someone who
        > already has a room reserved? At this point I don't care if
        > it's smoking or non-smoking or if I have to sleep on the
        > floor (I've got a nice air mattress). I'd just like to stay
        > at the official ProgDay hotel.
        >
        > -- Bob

      • Roy DeRousse
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
          Thanks for the good news, Jeff. This IS a football weekend for the area, so
          hotel rooms will be scarcer than normal. Whoever is planning to go should
          make reservations ASAP. (Rhea and I already have ours.)

          It looks like this will be a GREAT ProgDay!

          --
          Have fun!

          Roy DeRousse
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
            Great Roy!
            See you there! I know a block of rooms is set aside
            for ProgDay people every year (at the special rate)
            but not sure exactly how many. I know they do run out
            of these rooms (one year I had to pay regular price).
            It doesn't hurt to reserve now, the official hotel is
            the best place to be IMO.
            Tickets are also available now at www.progday.com
            Hope you got a room Bob! I'd offer to share mine but
            I'm bringing the wife and kids.

            Jeff

            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks for the good news, Jeff. This IS a football weekend for
            the area, so
            > hotel rooms will be scarcer than normal. Whoever is planning to
            go should
            > make reservations ASAP. (Rhea and I already have ours.)
            >
            > It looks like this will be a GREAT ProgDay!
            >
            > Jeff wrote:
            > > Bob,
            > > Did you contact the # listed on the website?
            > > 919-490-4949? Your post spurred me to action,
            > > I just now reserved a non-smoking for the ProgDay rate
            > > ($69) Make sure you mention the progday rate and
            > > try again. It's hard to find good help these days but
            > > the lady I spoke with knew about ProgDay.
            > >
            > > Jeff
            > >

            > > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@>
            > > wrote:
            > >>
            > >> So I called the Comfort Inn that's the offical ProgDay hotel
            > >> this afternoon to try to reserve a room. The woman asks
            > >> what kind of room I want. I say preferrably non-smoking,
            > >> and I'll be by myself so it doesn't even have to have 2 beds.
            > >> She says that all they have available for that weekend are
            > >> smoking doubles (so why even ask what I wanted?). I ask how
            > >> much one of those would be, and she puts me on hold for a
            > >> few minutes. She finally comes back and says "All we have
            > >> available for that weekend is a non-smoking suite at $139 a
            > >> night". Pass.
            > >>
            > >> So...anyone looking for a roommate? Preferrably someone who
            > >> already has a room reserved? At this point I don't care if
            > >> it's smoking or non-smoking or if I have to sleep on the
            > >> floor (I've got a nice air mattress). I'd just like to stay
            > >> at the official ProgDay hotel.
            > >>
            > >> -- Bob
            > >>

            > --
            > Have fun!
            >
            > Roy DeRousse

          • T. J. Higgins
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
              I just called the 919 number and got a no smoking room
              for the PD rate. Thanks for the reminder!

              T.J.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <to_gryphon3@...> wrote:

                > Bob,
                > Did you contact the # listed on the website?
                > 919-490-4949? Your post spurred me to action,
                > I just now reserved a non-smoking for the ProgDay rate
                > ($69) Make sure you mention the progday rate and
                > try again. It's hard to find good help these days but
                > the lady I spoke with knew about ProgDay.

                Those of you who have successfully made reservations - what time
                of day did you call, and is your reservation for Friday,
                Saturday and Sunday, or just part of that time span?

                I'm thinking the woman I talked to (a very tired sounding
                woman with a southern accent who seemed like the last thing in
                the world she wanted to do was help someone make a reservation)
                either didn't know what she was doing, or didn't hear me say
                that I was with the ProgDay group (which I definitely specified)
                and therefore wouldn't give me one of the rooms blocked off for
                ProgDay.

                I just tried calling again at 7:30 this evening, and the same
                woman answered. This time she was busy dealing with hotel
                guests at the front desk and wanted to put me on hold. I said
                I'd call back later.

                This shouldn't be so difficult...If they end up running out of
                rooms, I'm gonna be pissed.

                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

                  > Those of you who have successfully made reservations - what time
                  > of day did you call, and is your reservation for Friday,
                  > Saturday and Sunday, or just part of that time span?

                  Bob,
                  I musta called about 9PM last night. I reserved for Fri, Sat,
                  Sun and Mon (wouldn't give me the ProgDay rate for Monday, not sure
                  if I'm staying that extra day or not)
                  Good luck!
                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <to_gryphon3@...> wrote:

                    > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@>
                    wrote:

                    > > Those of you who have successfully made reservations - what time
                    > > of day did you call, and is your reservation for Friday,
                    > > Saturday and Sunday, or just part of that time span?
                    > >

                    > I musta called about 9PM last night. I reserved for Fri, Sat,
                    > Sun and Mon (wouldn't give me the ProgDay rate for Monday, not sure
                    > if I'm staying that extra day or not)

                    Maybe the clueless woman's shift ends at 9 or something. My wife
                    (who's much better at dealing with people on the phone than I am)
                    called around 8pm and also got the brush-off, but gave them our
                    phone number and asked them to call back.

                    A little after 9pm, the hotel called back. Different woman this
                    time - very polite and professional. As soon as my wife said the
                    check-in date was Sept 1st, the woman asked if we wanted one of
                    the ProgDay rooms. A couple minutes later I had a reservation for
                    a non-smoking room with one bed for Friday, Saturday and Sunday
                    nights at the ProgDay rate.

                    Guess it just depends on who answers the phone when you call.

                    -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                  • progholio@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2006

                      This is my 6th year attending PD and every time i have at least one hassle with this hotel regarding reservations. I made my reservation about 2 months ago and am still waiting for a written confirmation (a habit i have gotten into since the 1st time they f'd up my reservation). Thanks for the reminder, i need to follow up and see if they still have it.

                      rich