Re: T titles, part second to last

  • Bob Eichler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      In the last digest, "Scott Storey" scott.d.storey@... wrote:

      >On 5/30/06 7:59 PM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Arti+Mestieri, Tilt - wow, I forgot how good this album is.
      >
      >I completely agree. If you can get your hands on
      >the Progday Special disc, you¹re bound to enjoy
      >it as well. I got mine from Sean McFee²

      What's the ProgDay Special disc? I have a vague memory of one of
      the recent ProgDay bands putting out a live CD of their performance,
      but I had heard that the sound quality wasn't very good. Was it
      Arti+Mestieri? Or am I thinking of a different band?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
         Bob wrote:

        <<Natalie Merchant, Tigerlily - another one of my wife's Natalie
        Merchant CDs.<<

        I always like 10,000 Maniacs, but never bought any of Merchant's solo stuff.

        >>Arti+Mestieri, Tilt - wow, I forgot how good this album is.<<

        I still don't really get this one.  For all the praise that it gets, I find it to be a pretty average Italian prog rock album.  I was never blown away by it.  I enjoyed their ProgDay performance, but again would probably not rank it at the top of my list.

        >>Electric Light Orchestra, Time <<

        ELO's most underated album.  This really was a return to prog like stuff after the "commercial" years.  Really a solid album from beginning to end.

        >>3, To the Power of Three - one of the "bastard stepchild of prog"
        projects of the 80s.<<
        I liked this one ok, I though Emerson Lake and Powell was better though if we are talking the 80's incarnations of ELP spin offs.

        >>Toy Matinee, Toy Matinee -<<

        I never understood why this band did not become much larger.  "Last Plane Out" got some airplay, but it should have been a huge it.  It is one of those songs that after the first time I heard it I could not get it out of my head.

        Steve Sly
        ProgDay 2006
        (NP - Liquid Tension Experiment - I)
          Arti&Mestieri I’ll have to dig it off the shelf to get you the details. It is Arti+Mestieri and it has just a few tracks. I want to think that the disc is somewhere between 30-40 minutes long. IIRC, this disc was sold only during their appearance at ProgDay. To me, the material on there is as good as anything on Tilt.

          -sds
          -np – chris squire – fish out of water

          On 6/1/06 9:20 PM, "Bob Eichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

          In the last digest, "Scott Storey" scott.d.storey@... wrote:

          >On 5/30/06 7:59 PM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Arti+Mestieri, Tilt - wow, I forgot how good this album is.
          >
          >I completely agree. If you can get your hands on
          >the Progday Special disc, you’re bound to enjoy
          >it as well. I got mine from Sean McFee”

          What's the ProgDay Special disc?   I have a vague memory of one of
          the recent ProgDay bands putting out a live CD of their performance,
          but I had heard that the sound quality wasn't very good.  Was it
          Arti+Mestieri?  Or am I thinking of a different band?

             -- Bob

        • the_original_ib
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
            Hi,

            Yeah, the story behind this is that the band was bringing the CDs over
            to sell at the show, but in all the chaos of their trip (they were
            delayed a total of 24 hours) they were not able to sell any. This made
            it hard for them to break even. They then sent some copies to a friend
            of mine, and I bought some off her to help take the edge off of the
            financial situation.

            It's a band-produced CDR, has four tracks, and is about 30 minutes
            long. It includes a reason version of Articolezione IIRC. It's
            basically live in studio stuff with the band as it existed at that
            time (Furio, Beppe, Slep, Corrado on violin, etc.) I can get full
            info. I think I still have a few left because I never really tried to
            push it too hard (I was in the process of leaving the country so I
            had other things on my mind, and I've been working on ProgQuebec
            pretty much since I got back to Canada), so if anyone actually wants
            it you can send me an e-mail.

            Regards,
            Sean

            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Scott Storey <scott.d.storey@...>
            wrote:

            > I¹ll have to dig it off the shelf to get you the details. It is
            > Arti+Mestieri and it has just a few tracks. I want to think that the
            disc is
            > somewhere between 30-40 minutes long. IIRC, this disc was sold only
            during
            > their appearance at ProgDay. To me, the material on there is as good as
            > anything on Tilt.
            >
            > -sds
            > -np ­ chris squire ­ fish out of water

            > > What's the ProgDay Special disc? I have a vague memory of one of
            > > the recent ProgDay bands putting out a live CD of their performance,
            > > but I had heard that the sound quality wasn't very good. Was it
            > > Arti+Mestieri? Or am I thinking of a different band?
            > >
            > > -- Bob

          • John Diliberto
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
              Wednesday 06/07, Sunday 6/11

              A LIVING ROOM CONCERT WITH MARCONI UNION
              Ambient duo plays only Second Live performance
              Marconi Union is a duo from Manchester who make a music that travels in cinematic melancholy and textural malaise.  Their songs build slowly, emerging out of a flattened landscape of static and stillness to attain a quietly triumphal beauty. We'll hear them do it live for only the second time ever, in London on an Echoes Living Room Concert.
              See more information at www.echoes.org

              ECHOES
              A Nightly Music Soundscape
              Over 130 Radio Stations

              ARTISTS FEATURED THIS MONTH ON ECHOES
              Leo Abrahams, Absolute Ambient, Bombay Dub Orchestra,
              California Guitar Trio, Lanterna, Marconi Union, Edgar Meyer,
              Don Peris, Steve Hillage, Caryn Lin, and Saul Stokes

              SPECIAL ECHOES PROGRAMS THIS MONTH
              A Classical Confluence: June 9, 2006
              An Echoes Summer Solstice: June 21, 2006

              Subscribe to Echoes On-Line, On demand 24-7. http://www.echoes.org/aboutonline.html

              Sign-up for free Echoes Podcast of interviews

              Read the Echoes Blog
              http://www.echoes.org/blog

              John Diliberto
              ((( (((echoes))) )))