Re: [ProgAndOther] best live album ever

  • pete
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2006
      Bony,
      Are they cousins to Anglagard? ;-) Tell us about it!
      Pete

      Robert Marone wrote:
      np: Miklagard - s/t

    • pete
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2006
        Rich,
        A couple that come to mind are the Allman Brothers-Live at The
        Fillmore;Band of Gypsys-Yessongs.
        Pete

        rich mueller wrote:

        > In an effort to get something other than spam in the mailbox i thought i
        > would start a thread.
        >
        > I am doing some work around the house while listening to The Who Live at
        > Leeds (one of the recent remasters with the extra tracks that make it
        > flow like a real concert, not the original skimpy release) and it dawned
        > on me "holy jebus this absolutely smokes", getting my vote for best live
        > album ever, that's it, none better.
        > But, there is a close runner up, David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the
        > Spiders from Mars m/p soundtrack, can Mick Ronson burn or what? I think
        > I'll play that one next.
        >
        > Comments/Suggestions?
        >
        > good day
        > rich
      • Robert Marone
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2006
          Yeah.....their Irish cousins.  ;-)
          More symphonic prog from Sweden.
          Interesting, if not essential. One long (11+ min.) epic on a very short (<40 min.) album.
          Nice enough.

          bony

          On 5/1/06, pete <marabus@...> wrote:
          Bony,
          Are they cousins to Anglagard? ;-) Tell us about it!
          Pete

          Robert Marone wrote:
          np: Miklagard - s/t

          ---
          The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
          To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

          Rock bands

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2006
            In a message dated 4/30/2006 4:08:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, progholio@... writes:
            Comments/Suggestions?
            Last year Classic Rock magazine did a readers and critics poll of the best live albums of all time.  The critics top 20:

            1.  Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous
            2.  AC/DC - If You Want Blood You Got It
            3.  Cheap Trick - At Budokan
            4.  Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
            5.  The Who - Live At Leads
            6.  UFO - Strangers In The Night
            7.  Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya  Yas Out
            8.  Kiss - Alive
            9.  Rush - Exit Stage Left
            10. Motorhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith.
            11. The Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
            12.  Kiss - Alive II
            13.  Blackfoot - Highway Song Live
            14.  Iron Maiden - Live After Death
            15.  The Clash - From Here To Eternity
            16.  Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
            17.  Rush - All The Worlds A Stage
            18.  Yes - Yessongs
            19.  Black Sabbath - Live Evil
            10.  Hanoi Rocks - All The Wasted Years

            Readers Poll Top 20:

            1. Thin Lizzy - Alive And Dangerous
            2. UFO - Strangers In The Night
            3.  Deep Purple - Made In Japan.
            4.  AC/DC - If You Want Blood....
            5.  Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
            6.  The Who - Live At Leads
            7.  Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
            8.  Hawkwind - Space Ritual
            9.  Rush - Exit Stage Left
            10.  Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour
            11.  Iron Maiden - Live After Death
            12.  Lynard Skynard - One More For The Road
            13.  Kiss - Alive
            14.  Rainbow - On Stage
            15.  Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
            16.  Whitesnake - Live In The Heart Of The City
            17.  Yes - Yessongs
            18.  Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
            19.  Bruce Springsteen - Live 75-85
            20.  Cheap Trick - At Budukan

            Steve Sly
            ProgDay 2006
            (NP - Spocks Beard - Octane)
          • Andy
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2006
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                In a message dated 5/1/2006 9:24:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, andy.oceansize@... writes:
                2. UFO - Strangers In The Night

                This would still be my choice, after all these beers..sorry-years!!! One of
                the few live albums to really capture a band at the top of their game!!
                No doubt one of the all time greats.

                Steve Sly
                ProgDay 2006

              • Bobby Simons
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                  "One of the few live albums to really capture a band at the top of their game!!"

                  That would also describe ELP's "Welcome Back...", for me.

                  Bobby Simons
                  AIM: patentdraw

                • pete
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                    Snatch it from here?

                    http://agamenonprogrock.blogspot.com/

                    On 5/1/06, pete <marabus@...> wrote:
                    Bony,
                    Are they cousins to Anglagard? ;-) Tell us about it!
                    Pete

                    Robert Marone wrote:
                    np: Miklagard - s/t

                    ---

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                      yeppers

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                        In the last digest, "Robert Marone" <bony618@...> wrote:

                        > I need to look into the live FZ albums as well.
                        >
                        > There are plenty others. I singled out JABfLA since it's the
                        > only one (to my knowledge) that's 100% live. (i.e. no overdubs)

                        Ah, but you're forgetting the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore
                        series. That whole set is supposedly "no overdubs". Most of the
                        volumes are collections that span various years, but Vol 2 is all
                        from a few days that the Roxy band played Helsinki. I'd nominate
                        "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol 2" as one of the best
                        live albums ever.

                        There's also Zappa's live albums from the 1988 tour - I don't
                        think there's much overdubbing there. Lots of editing together
                        of various performances, but no overdubs. I'd pick "Make a Jazz
                        Noise Here" as another best live album.

                        For non-Zappa, my picks would be:

                        Cheap Trick at Budokan
                        ELP - Welcome Back my Friends... (one of the albums that really
                        sold me on prog)
                        Yes - Yessongs (another one that got me into prog)
                        Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
                        King Crimson - The Great Deceiver (kind of a cheat there)
                        Magma - that trilogy live release they put out a few years ago
                        Mats/Morgan - On Air with Guests
                        Phish - Hampton Comes Alive
                        Pink Floyd - disc 1 of UmmaGumma
                        X-Legged Sally - Fired!

                        Those are just the ones that jumped out at me from a quick scan of
                        my CDs...

                        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                      • Bobby Simons
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                          I'd nominate
                          > "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol 2" as one of the best
                          > live albums ever.

                          Vol. 5 ain't too shabby, either.

                          Bobby Simons
                          boo@...
                          AIM: patentdraw
                        • rich mueller
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                            On Tue, 02 May 2006 20:59:36 -0400 Bob Eichler <eichler@...> writes:
                            > I'd nominate
                            > "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol 2" as one of the best
                            > live albums ever.

                            Sounds like one i need to look into.

                            > For non-Zappa, my picks would be:
                            >
                            > Cheap Trick at Budokan

                            that one as well

                            > King Crimson - The Great Deceiver (kind of a cheat there)

                            This one could easily be right up there with my Live at Leeds pick. I
                            need to pull that one and listen real soon, always great for those
                            involved home projects.

                            > Magma - that trilogy live release they put out a few years ago
                            > Mats/Morgan - On Air with Guests

                            I agree with both of those, I don't have the Magma but i do have the dvd
                            if i'm not mistaking i think they might be from the same era.
                            Anybody out there have the newer M/M (Come Fly With Us i think it's
                            called)? How is it? Those guys totally knocked me on my ass at Progday.

                            > Pink Floyd - disc 1 of UmmaGumma

                            More great stuff.

                            Going back to the subject of live Zappa, I am not an expert but have
                            always liked and respected FZ. Only within the last couple of years have
                            i started paying closer attention to Franks music. I get the idea that a
                            lot of his studio tracks are culled from live jams that Frank
                            edited/polished/overdubbed into complete studio tracks. Is that how Frank
                            worked throughout his career. Man, i needs to get more Zappa but there is
                            so much it make my head swim (not tom mention the sucking sound in my
                            wallet).

                            rich
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3, 2006
                              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, rich mueller <progholio@...>
                              wrote:

                              > On Tue, 02 May 2006 20:59:36 -0400 Bob Eichler <eichler@...>
                              writes:

                              > > Magma - that trilogy live release they put out a few years ago
                              > > Mats/Morgan - On Air with Guests
                              >
                              > I agree with both of those, I don't have the Magma but i do have
                              > the dvd if i'm not mistaking i think they might be from the same
                              > era.

                              I think the DVD and the CDs are from the same performances. Where
                              are our resident Magma experts? Jeff, Jason, care to comment?

                              > Anybody out there have the newer M/M (Come Fly With Us i think it's
                              > called)? How is it? Those guys totally knocked me on my ass at
                              > Progday.

                              I never got around to buying the new one, but I heard part of it
                              over the PA system at an Orion show between bands last year, and
                              it sounded really good. I think some of what they played at
                              ProgDay was from that new album. I'll probably pick it up at
                              ProgDay this year.

                              > Going back to the subject of live Zappa, I am not an expert but
                              > have always liked and respected FZ. Only within the last couple
                              > of years have i started paying closer attention to Franks music.
                              > I get the idea that a lot of his studio tracks are culled from
                              > live jams that Frank edited/polished/overdubbed into complete
                              > studio tracks. Is that how Frank worked throughout his career.

                              He used just about every technique imaginable to create albums.
                              Some of them are live performances overdubbed until they sound
                              like studio recordings (I think most of "Sheik Yerbouti" was done
                              that way), while other live albums are straight live recordings
                              (although he usually would edit together the best performances
                              from various concerts), and some studio albums are strictly
                              studio creations, especially the early albums. Some are a mix
                              of purely studio tracks and purely live stuff (like "Weasels
                              Ripped My Flesh). Some were created with the Synclavier (Jazz
                              From Hell, Civilization Phase III).

                              > Man, i needs to get more Zappa but there is so much it make my
                              > head swim (not tom mention the sucking sound in my wallet).

                              Yep, his output is huge. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 70
                              official releases, last I counted. You might want to try picking
                              up one of the six "You Can Do That On Stage Anymore" volumes as
                              you can afford them, and then use the songs you like on those to
                              determine future purchases. But even that method isn't foolproof,
                              since the YCDTOSA series doesn't have any tracks that are
                              representative of the Grand Wazoo / Waka Jawaka era, or the
                              synclavier stuff, or the Orchestral stuff, etc...

                              For prog fans, I usually nominate "One Size Fits All" as a good
                              studio album to start with.

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                                No doubt another great live album.  Pretty much the album where I discovered ELP.

                                Steve Sly
                                Progday 2006
                                (NP - Ice Age - The Great Divide)