Re: Camper von Beethoven

  • jeffoaster
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

      > I was going to say "a lot less commerical sounding and more folky
      > than Cracker", but Noah did a much better job describing them.

      Thanks to both Il Bice and to Noah. I browsed around for that 5 disc
      set, and it looks like it is gone - people are asking for $50 for used
      versions of it. I'm guessing I'll just work my way through their
      discography and then grab some concerts from archive.org. I grabbed
      some stuff at random from archive, and I like what I hear. Quirky and
      all over the place with regards to their influences.

      I also see that they do a cover of Interstellar Overdrive, which
      oughta be interesting.

      - Jeff

      np: EPQ, Il Silencio
    • Noah Lesgold
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
        On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, jeffoaster wrote:

        > Thanks to both Il Bice and to Noah. I browsed around for that 5 disc
        > set, and it looks like it is gone - people are asking for $50 for used
        > versions of it.

        At 10/disc, that's still not entirely unreasonable... but pretty steep
        for a first purchase, I'll admit.

        > I'm guessing I'll just work my way through their discography and then
        > grab some concerts from archive.org. I grabbed some stuff at random
        > from archive, and I like what I hear. Quirky and all over the place
        > with regards to their influences.

        Yup, that sounds about right. Glad you're liking it.

        > I also see that they do a cover of Interstellar Overdrive, which
        > oughta be interesting.

        Man, that is a damn fine cover. They played it the last time I saw
        them, and it tore the place up.

        --
        Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
        nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

        Hell is in Gorham, NY, on SR247, E of Canandaigua
      • Noah Lesgold
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
          So, I just got done listening to the Dixie Dregs' _What If?_, which
          honestly is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums ever. It got me
          thinking that I probably need more stuff by them. Here's what I have
          now:

          What If
          Night of the Living Dregs
          Full Circle
          King Biscuit Flower Hour

          I like all of them, although _Full Circle_ (a 90s reunion album) is not
          as exciting as the others. What I think I would actually like would be
          more studio albums by them. Any recommendations?

          --
          Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
          nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

          That government governs best which governs pants.
        • progholio@juno.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006

            I would say Free Fall is essential.

            Is there anyone out there who could comment on Industry Standard? I remember it having vocals and being more radio friendly so i stayed away from it. It must have worked because it landed them an appearance on the Uncle Floyd Show.

            rich

            -- Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...> wrote:
            So, I just got done listening to the Dixie Dregs' _What If?_, which
            honestly is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums ever.  It got me
            thinking that I probably need more stuff by them.  Here's what I have
            now:

                     What If
                     Night of the Living Dregs
                     Full Circle
                     King Biscuit Flower Hour

            I like all of them, although _Full Circle_ (a 90s reunion album) is not
            as exciting as the others.  What I think I would actually like would be
            more studio albums by them.  Any recommendations?

            --
            Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
            nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold

            That government governs best which governs pants.

            ---

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

            <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Bobby Simons
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
              'What if' is solidly in my 'Top 5 on a Desert Island' list, where it
              has been forever. Every song is perfect. And now, as luck would have
              it, Rod (drummer) and I live maybe a mile apart, and we've become
              drinking buddies of a sort, often bumping into each other at a local
              saloon. He's one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. And
              busy as hell.

              On Apr 17, 2006, at 7:30 PM, progholio@... wrote:

              > I would say Free Fall is essential.
              >
              > Is there anyone out there who could comment on Industry Standard? I
              > remember it having vocals and being more radio friendly so i stayed
              > away from it. It must have worked because it landed them an appearance
              > on the Uncle Floyd Show.
              >

              > rich
              >
              > -- Noah Lesgold <nlesgold@...> wrote:
              > So, I just got done listening to the Dixie Dregs' _What If?_, which
              > honestly is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums ever.  It got m
              > thinking that I probably need more stuff by them.  Here's what I have
              > now:
              >
              >          What If
              >          Night of the Living Dregs
              >          Full Circle
              >          King Biscuit Flower Hour
              >
              > I like all of them, although _Full Circle_ (a 90s reunion&nb
              > sp;album) is not
              > as exciting as the others.  What I think I would actually like would be
              >
              > more studio albums by them.  Any recommendations?
              >
              > --
              > Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
              > nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold
              >
              > That government governs best which governs pants.
              >

              > ---
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > ---
              > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
              > To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "ProgAndOther" on the web.

              > Service.

              Bobby Simons
              AIM: patentdraw
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 17, 2006
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...>
                wrote:

                > I also see that they do a cover of Interstellar Overdrive, which
                > oughta be interesting.

                That track (and one other) is the reason why the self-titled album
                is my favorite.

                -- Bob
              • pete
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
                  Noah,
                  That's the only one I have by them.Great music!
                  Pete

                  Noah Lesgold wrote:

                  > So, I just got done listening to the Dixie Dregs' _What If?_, which
                  > honestly is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums ever. It got me
                  > thinking that I probably need more stuff by them. Here's what I have
                  > now:
                  >
                  > What If
                  > Night of the Living Dregs
                  > Full Circle
                  > King Biscuit Flower Hour
                  >
                  > I like all of them, although _Full Circle_ (a 90s reunion album) is not
                  > as exciting as the others. What I think I would actually like would be
                  > more studio albums by them. Any recommendations?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Noah Lesgold
                • CthulhuCthulhuCthulhuCthulhuCthulhuCthul
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, pete <marabus@...> wrote:

                    > Noah,
                    > That's the only one I have by them.Great music!
                    > Pete
                    >
                    > Noah Lesgold wrote:
                    >
                    > > So, I just got done listening to the Dixie Dregs' _What If?_,
                    which
                    > > honestly is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums ever. It
                    got me
                    > > thinking that I probably need more stuff by them. Here's what I
                    have
                    > > now:
                    > >
                    > > What If
                    > > Night of the Living Dregs
                    > > Full Circle
                    > > King Biscuit Flower Hour
                    > >
                    > > I like all of them, although _Full Circle_ (a 90s reunion album)
                    is not
                    > > as exciting as the others. What I think I would actually like
                    would be
                    > > more studio albums by them. Any recommendations?
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Noah Lesgold

                    From Dregs fan to another -- Get FreeFall

                    ~jwp
                  • Scott Storey

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 19, 2006

                        On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Scott Storey wrote:

                        I can second all the votes for “Free Fall”. Another one worth considering is “Unsung Heroes”. While its not as good as FF and WI to me, its better than “Full Circle”.

                        Agreed. Though I wish I had caught that FC tour - with Jordan Rudess behind the keys.