Re: [ProgAndOther] the "The"s - Gentle Giant

  • Don Arnold
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2006
      Hi Bob,

      I like this GG album too, but, unlike yourself, I do
      prefer their more clever and complex albums
      because...they're more clever and complex. I'll add
      "As Old as You're Young" to the list of good tracks
      from this lp.

      Cheers,

      Don Arnold

      --- biceeichler <eichler@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Gentle Giant, The Missing Piece - this album seems to
      get bashed a lot as the beginning of Gentle Giant's
      "sell out" period. I'm not a big GG fan to begin
      with, so maybe that's why this album doesn't
      sound particularly bad to me. In fact, I rather like
      most of it. Definitely more commercial sounding that
      other GG albums that I've heard, but those other
      albums often struck me as sometimes being overly
      clever and complex for the sake of being overly clever
      and complex. So a more commercial version of Gentle
      Giant is not necessarily a bad thing in my book. The
      tracks "Two Weeks in Spain", "Memories of Old Days"
      and "For Nobody" are particular favorites of mine, but
      I enjoy the whole album.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2006
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Don Arnold <progmellotron@...>
        wrote:

        > I'll add "As Old as You're Young" to the list of good tracks
        > from this lp.

        Yep, I'll agree with that. I was originally going to mention
        that one, and then changed my mind. But I listened to the
        album again while driving home from work on Friday, and "As
        Old as You're Young" was stuck in my head all weekend...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2006
          Bob wrote:

          >>REO Speedwagon, The Hits - if anyone was wondering whether
          I'm
          skipping any CDs that I'd be to embarrassed to admit to owning in
          public, this should put those doubts to rest.<<

          I will always have a soft spot for REO.  Up until the "High Infidelity" album they were really a great Midwestern rock n roll band.  "You Can Tune A Piano, But You Cant Tuna Fish" is a great album.  Some of their other early albums are very good too.  Once they hit the really big time with "HI" their output was much more spotty and inconsistent, and the ballads did begin to take over somewhat.  REO was always a great live act though (I've seen them several times), and they always gave you your money's worth.

          >>Yes, The Ladder - this is probably my favorite post-Rabin-era
          CD
          from Yes<<

          I think it is very underated.  Probably my favorite Yes album of the past 15 years or so.

          >>The Eagles, The Long Run - the Eagles probably should have
          quit
          after "Hotel California".  This certainly isn't a terrible album,
          but it's no "Hotel",<<

          We are pretty much on the same page on this one.  They tried too hard on this to make a perfect album and ended up with something that was certainly a stop down from "Hotel California" which remians their high water mark.

          Steve Sly
          Progday 2006
          (NP - Echolyn - The End Is Beutiful)