Re: [ProgAndOther] The best of latter day Floyd (was: new floyd good)

  • rich mueller
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
      On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:26:21 -0000 "biceeichler" <eichler@...>
      writes:
      > Hmmm, that could be an interesting topic of debate...the best
      > post-Final Cut Floyd-related album.

      Yessir, based our fine taste of course.
      I consider myself a huge PF fan from a long time ago and would generally
      scarf up any PF related material. My feeling is that they "jumped the
      shark" with The Wall. I thought is was about half cool when it came out
      but realized i just didn't care for the Ezrin production or hundreds of
      outside musicians.

      > Let's see, assuming you mean stuff released by members of Pink Floyd
      >
      > after the Final Cut breakup, and not including "best of" packages,
      > tribute albums, reissues, etc, that would be the following:
      >
      > David Gilmour, About Face (1984)
      Hit and miss with me, overall didn't hold up that well. I saw the concert
      back in '84, really kicked ass live.

      > Roger Waters, Pros & Cons of Hitch-hiking (1984)
      Bought this when it came out with controversial ass cheeks cover. Did not
      like the Final Cut, I was sold on the ass cheeks and Clapton, liked this
      less than Final Cut, wrote off Roger Waters from that point.

      > Nick Mason & Rick Fenn, Profiles (1985)
      Nick and guy from 80's band i didn't like doing more 80's music, had to
      pass.

      > Roger Waters, When the Wind Blows soundtrack (1986)
      Pass.

      > Pink Floyd, Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
      Pretty good, held up ok, not the best Gilmour solo record but that Tony
      Levin sure sounds good.

      > Roger Waters, Radio KAOS (1987)
      Somebody made me a copy of this back in the day, made it about half way
      and filed it with Kansas' In the Spirit of Things (eeek, more Ezrin)

      > Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder (Live) (1988)
      Was getting pretty numb to PF at this point, didn't bother

      > Roger Waters, Amused to Death (1992)
      No comment

      > Pink Floyd, The Division Bell (1994)
      ok i guess, i'll have to listen to it again to see if i like it, i guess
      it didn't make much of an impression. I'd much prefer solo Sid Barret
      over this from what i remember.

      > Pink Floyd, PULSE (Live) (1995)
      > Richard Wright, Broken China (1996)
      Can't comment on these two.

      > Roger Waters, In the Flesh (Live) (2000)
      I have the dvd, lot's of fun watching this with the 5.1 sound, Doyle
      Bramhall II does a fantastic job covering Gilmour and the rest are all
      top notch. Only marred by Waters' solo material.

      > David Gilmour, On an Island (2006)
      I guess the biggest turn on for me is that it has a much more organic and
      minimalist vibe. One of the tunes has a bit of a delta blues influence to
      it, sometimes it's refreshing to hear someone take a few steps back
      rather than pushing the envelope (maybe i'm getting older, a few years
      ago i might have found this to be easy listening). I don't care that it's
      not lyrically challenging because few people play the guitar as well as
      DG and too many words just get in the way. I still stand behind my
      original opinion.

      So far, Rolling Stone and today's USA Today give this album pretty low
      marks indicating that this album sucks (These are the same people who
      give Blacked Eyed Pee's remix of old Sergio Mendes music such glowing
      marks, their credibility is shot to hell). I keep hearing the word
      "processed" in these reviews. I think these journalist have their heads
      shoved somewhere that is processing the since of sound and reason.
      Judging from the upcomming sold out shows, i would imagine this album
      should do just fine. I wish I were there.

      rich

    • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
        In a message dated 3/10/2006 2:02:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, progholio@... writes:
        Richard Wright, Broken China (1996)
        for those of you who do not have broken china buy richard wright, i strongly recommend you track it down! thumbs up!
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
          I like "The Division Bell" more than most people.  In fact I think it is a very strong album from start to finish.  From Waters "Amused To Death" is his best.  I think that each solo album he did got better.  I like all of Gilmours solo albums with "About Face" being my favorite of the earlier stuff.  I have not really had a chance to fully digest the new one yet.  Richard Wright's "Broken China" is a nice little album too.  It did not get a lot of publicity when it came out, but every time I pull it out it surprises me as being better than I remember it.

          Steve Sly
          Progday 2006
          (NP - Alice Cooper - Dragontown

          So, how does everyone else rank the post-Final Cut Floyd albums?

          I like Broken China  Amused to Death and Division Bell as the 3 favorite post Final Cut and when it comes to all solo projects i like Gilmours first solo the best. And least would be that album Nick did with Carla Bley (did i get her name right?) that was marketed under his name but really a Carla Bley album. So, what is everybodys favorite and least favorite Floyd solo projects?

          ---
          The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
          To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

          Rock bands