At last, the end of the "S" section

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
      Here's the last batch of "S" titles:

      U Totem, Strange Attractors - this is one dense album.
      Not only is the music avant enough to make Thinking
      Plague sound like Yes, but the lyrics are based on a
      not-so-short story included in the booklet, and that
      story bounces between Los Angeles in the mid-80s and
      Tokyo in the mid-2010s. I think at one time I studied
      this whole thing enough to kind of understand it, but
      it has since slipped away. I can still enjoy the music,
      but overall I thought this CD was kind of a disappointment
      after first getting hooked on the band via their brilliant
      self-titled disc. If you liked "U Totem", then this CD
      is worth getting, but if you're not looking for a real
      challenge then this is probably an album to avoid.

      Billy Joel, Streetlife Serenade - bunch of great songs
      on this one: the title track, "Los Angelenos", the
      bittersweet "Souvenir", and my favorite Joel song, "The
      Entertainer". Then there's the kick-ass instrumental
      "Root Beer Rag" (is that a cover song? The liner notes
      don't say, but it sounds like a classic ragtime updated
      with synthesizers). "The Mexican Connection" is also an
      instrumental - are there any other Joel albums that have
      even one instrumental? I never think of this CD when I
      think of great albums in my collection (heck, I never
      think of Billy Joel at all), but then when I listen to
      his early stuff it always surprises me how good it is.

      Frank Zappa, Studio Tan - the album begins with Zappa
      boldly announcing "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary!",
      which launches one of Frank's rare side-long tracks.
      And oddly enough, it's a sequel of sorts to another
      side-long FZ track, "Billy the Mountain" (Billy and
      Greggery cross paths about half way through side one
      of this album). The lengthy Peccary was (in grand
      progressive rock tradition) stitched together from
      various musical odds and ends that Zappa had been
      composing over the years, and then given a lyrical
      story line (complete with goofy voices, which makes
      it my daughter's favorite Zappa song). In fact, the
      whole album is kind of a collection of leftovers;
      "Revised Music For Guitar And Low Budget Orchestra"
      is a remake of a piece that Frank wrote for Jean Luc
      Ponty's "King Kong" album (where it had "Violin" in
      the title instead of "Guitar"). And "RDNZL" had been
      around for a while too. I'm not sure where the comic
      ditty "Lemme Take You to the Beach" came from. But
      it's all good stuff (RDNZL is a particular favorite
      of mine), and it hangs together well, making this
      possibly the best "odds and ends" album ever.

      Guy LeBlanc, Subversia - I bought this during the
      heady days of Nathan Mahl mania following the first
      NEARFest. Guy's first solo CD after becoming a
      household name amongst prog fans is a concept album,
      and features a very similar concept to Rush's 2112
      and Zappa's Joe's Garage - a bleak future where a
      totalitarian government has outlawed music because
      it leads to free expression and creative thinking.
      In this case, there's an island called Subversia
      where all the free thinkers go, and where the vocalist
      tells our story from. It's a little heavy-handed as
      far as the lyrics go, but fortunately they're few and
      far between, and most of the album is made up of
      sprawling instrumental sections that walk the line
      between symphonic prog and fusion. I'm not much
      of a fan of Scott McGill's Hand Farm albums, but
      his long, flashy, fluid, jazzy guitar solos are
      the perfect accompaniment for LeBlanc's lengthy
      keyboard excursions on this album. Two of Nathan
      Mahl's guitarists also contribute, and there's a
      good bit of smooth saxophone from a guy named Paul
      Desgagne on a couple tracks. Track four (The Cold
      Truth) reminds me of a Zappa synclavier piece, and
      back when he was reading P&O, Guy said that was in
      fact the inspiration for the track. The centerpiece
      of the CD is the half-hour long title track - the
      rest of the disc is made up of 4-8 minute long
      songs. This isn't a CD that I listen to very often,
      but when I do it's enjoyable.

      Primus, Suck on This - the bassist that I work with
      gave me this CD because he accidentally bought two
      copies. He was on the fence about buying it for a
      long time (he's a huge Les Claypool fan, but the
      album title offended his very religious, very
      conservative sensibilities), but he did end up
      buying it, and then forgetting that he had bought
      it and buying another copy. Heh. Anyway, this is
      a live CD from early in the band's career. Prog
      fans have to like the ironic quote from "YYZ" that
      opens the disc, and while the recording quality
      isn't the best, the song selection is good and the
      performances are great. And it's fun to hear an
      audience reacting so enthusiastically to music this
      offbeat. Well worth picking up if you like Primus
      at all, or are just a fan of flashy bassists and
      unusual, creative music.

      Gongzilla, Suffer - a fusion offshoot of the band
      Gong, with Bon Lozaga and Allan Holdsworth on guitar,
      Vic Stevens on drums and Hansford Rowe on bass. I
      think I picked this up at a Bon Lozaga show. Not a
      bad CD (if you like instrumental fusion albums), but
      nothing to write home about either. As you might
      have guessed from my reaction to Scott McGill's
      guitar soloing, Allan Holdsworth is not a big
      favorite of mine either. But he's not on every
      track, and overall this CD makes for OK background
      music at work. Sounds more like Brand X than Gong
      to me, but then I've never heard the more
      fusion-oriented Gong albums.

      Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock
      Era - Rhino did a fairly good job with this boxed
      set, even though it's easy to quibble with some of
      their song selections, and the book that came with
      the set has several errors and typos. But the
      music is generally good, and there are a bunch of
      songs here that I'm glad I have a copy of, because
      I'll probably never buy the full album. Then there
      are others that I *did* end up buying the full album
      after hearing the sample here. The five disc set
      starts off with a CD of "proto-prog", songs that are
      more psychedelic rock than prog, and things like
      the Nice's "America". I really like "Kings and
      Queens" by Renaissance - I might be the only prog
      fan around who prefers the pre-Annie Haslam
      version of the band. Disc two starts to get into
      more "classic prog", with songs by VDGG, Can, ELP,
      Caravan and Focus, amongst others. Someone must
      have been a big Strawbs fan, because both discs
      3 and 4 have songs by them. Whoever picked "Roll
      Over Beethoven" as being the best representation
      of ELO's prog phase should be shot - "Kuiama"
      would have been a much better choice. The set
      covers a lot of bases (the above mentioned bands,
      plus Procol Harum, the Moody Blues, Atomic Rooster,
      Yes, Genesis, PFM, Roxy Music, Wishbone Ash,
      Nektar, Le Orme, Clearlight, Gong, Gentle Giant,
      Henry Cow, Samla Mammas Manna, Hatfield & the North,
      Banco, Magma, Faust and several other, more obscure
      prog bands. They even finish off the set with
      Zappa's "Inca Roads". There are some glaring
      omissions (no King Crimson, no Kansas...I'm sure I
      could think of a few others if I put my mind to it),
      but that was probably because they couldn't get the
      rights to the music. And some of the stuff seems
      pointless to include - the Yes and Genesis tracks,
      for example - if you're interested enough in prog
      rock to buy this boxed set, you probably already
      own those songs. But overall this is a good beginner's
      guide to prog.

      Soundgarden, Superunknown - my wife bought this CD, and
      I have no idea why. Just as I have no idea how anyone
      can take this band seriously. I swear that if Spinal Tap
      decided to go grunge, they'd sound JUST LIKE THIS. Only
      they'd at least be joking. Ew.

      Supper's Ready - in the mid-90s, the new Magna Carta
      label tried to make a name for themselves (and promote
      their bands) amongst prog fans by releasing various
      "tribute" albums to classic prog bands. This was the
      Genesis tribute. On the plus side, Kevin Gilbert's
      version of "Back in N.Y.C." (the reason I bought the CD)
      is pretty good, and overall the album is better than the
      Yes tribute, "Tales from Yesterday" (then again, it
      couldn't be much worse). On the minus side, when Robert
      Berry's slickly produced, poppish version of "Watcher of
      the Skies" is one of the best songs on an album, you can
      bet it's not a very good album. Some of the tracks, like
      Over the Garden Wall's (who?) "Firth of Fifth" are so
      nearly identical to the original, it leaves one wondering
      what the point of doing a cover was. And the prog-hair-
      metal bands like Enchant, Shadow Gallery and Cairo still
      don't do anything for me. If you missed this CD when it
      originally came out...you didn't miss much. One odd
      coincidence - the "sleazy prostitute" sound byte that
      Gilbert used as atmosphere in the "N.Y.C." track was also
      used by Steinhardt-Moon on their album. Is everyone
      working from the same set of stock sound clips?

      Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien - the prototypical
      guitar hero album. Of the several guitar-centric,
      instrumental albums I own, this one is probably my
      favorite. It even bumps Zappa's "Shut Up 'n' Play Yer
      Guitar" out of the top spot, and that's saying something.
      Very flashy, very catchy, a wide variety of moods and
      great background music. If you like guitar and don't
      already have this CD, you should get it.

      Trey Anastasio, Surrender to the Air - this was a side
      project of the guitarist from Phish (his first?); a
      foray into free jazz. He lined up some good guest
      musicians - in addition to his usual Phish drummer Jon
      Fishman, he got a couple members of Sun Ra's band and
      John Medeski of Medeski, Martin and Wood, plus guys on
      flute, trombone and tuned percussion. Then they all
      just started jamming in a studio, with little (if any)
      of the music planned out beforehand. The results are,
      as you might expect, hit and miss. There are some
      sections that are really good, but there's also long
      streches that just sound like a bunch of guys screwing
      around in a studio and just amusing themselves. If the
      latter had been edited out, this would be a much more
      enjoyable CD. As it is, it makes for OK (if occasionally
      irritiating) background music.

      Stereolab, Switched on Stereolab - wow, I had almost
      forgotten about this CD. This was one of the big pile of
      CDs I bought at the local Encore Bookstore's going out of
      business sale several years ago. I really like this disc
      and always meant to pick up some more Stereolab, but never
      got around to it. I think I've read that their "Dots and
      Loops" CD is supposed to be good. Something else for my
      "to buy" list. Anyway, if I remember right this CD is a
      collection of early EP material the band released. The
      music manages to be mostly upbeat and yet droney at the
      same time. Jangly guitars, thick keyboards and high,
      sweet female vocals. The lyrics seem to be in the Jon
      Anderson school of "the way they sound is more important
      than what they mean". A great disc - maybe a little too
      samey from song to song, but it's only 44 minutes long so
      it doesn't wear out its welcome too much.

      Morte Macabre, Symphonic Holocaust - I forget what the
      exact story behind this album was, but at least one member
      of Anekdoten was involved, which is what made me buy it.
      The songs are all remakes of music from horror movies,
      with the arrangements in a symphonic prog vein and the
      instrumentation heavy on mellotron. As you would expect,
      it's fairly heavy, dark and foreboding, and yet parts of
      it are oddly soothing as well. It makes for great
      headphone listening at work. The bits with acoustic
      guitar remind me of early Pink Floyd. Good CD.

      Yes, Symphonic Music of Yes - what were they thinking?
      Oh god, what were they thinking? I'd like to submit the
      release of this album as the exact point when Yes jumped
      the shark, so to speak. Yeah, things had been going
      downhill for a while - we'd already been subjected to
      the YesWest years (which I kind of like, actually), and
      the horrors of Union (at least the concerts were good).
      But when Steve Howe, Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford got
      together to create a disc of re-treaded Yes elevator
      music, and LAME elevator music at that, that pretty
      much killed the last hope of anything decent ever coming
      out of this band. At least for me. You'd think that
      Bruford at least would have had more artistic sense than
      that. Oh well. Is there anything good to say about
      this CD? Well, "Mood For a Day" wasn't butchered too
      badly. Other than that...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        Bob wrote:

        >>Supernatural Fairy Tales:  The Progressive Rock
        Era - Rhino did a fairly good job with this boxed
        set, even though it's easy to quibble with some of
        their song selections, and the book that came with
        the set has several errors and typos. <<

        I bought this box set and it came with one cd missing and two copies of one of the others.  I don't remember off the top of my head which CD was not there and which was double, but I was not very happy with it.  I think I ordered it through the mail, so I never bothered to return it to get a correct copy.  Like you mention the booklet also seemed to not edited very well.

        Steve Sly
        Progday 2006
        (NP - Boud Deun - Astronomy Made Easy)

      • jeffoaster
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

          > Billy Joel, Streetlife Serenade - - are there any other Joel albums
          that have
          > even one instrumental? I

          I didn't even know that he did any instrumentals. My ex was such a big
          Billy Joel fan that I have difficulty listen to him objectively
          anymore, but his early stuff is actually pretty good singer/songwriter
          fare.

          > Primus, Suck on This -

          Primus is a band that I find myself getting burned out on really
          easily. I'm not sure why - they're all talented musicians, they're not
          afraid to admit their prog influences (they still do Rush, King
          Crimson and Floyd covers). I guess their tendency to noodle combined
          with Les Claypool's annoying voice wears thin pretty quickly.

          > Soundgarden, Superunknown - my wife bought this CD, and
          > I have no idea why. Just as I have no idea how anyone
          > can take this band seriously. I swear that if Spinal Tap
          > decided to go grunge, they'd sound JUST LIKE THIS. Only
          > they'd at least be joking. Ew.

          Ahem. I happen to like Soundgarden quite a bit. Note to self: Kick
          Bob's ass next time I see him. (And since we're on the "S" section, I
          would be remiss if I didn't mention my least favorite band/artist of
          all time: Soundscape. If Spinal Tap decided to release a prog-metal
          album, that is what they would sound like)

          > Supper's Ready - in the mid-90s, the new Magna Carta
          > label tried to make a name for themselves (and promote
          > their bands) amongst prog fans by releasing various
          > "tribute" albums to classic prog bands.

          Yuck. The #1 rule about doing a cover/tribute: Put your own spin on
          it. Don't just play the freaking song - do something different. Hell,
          just listen to what Yes did with "America." (Or They Might Be Giants
          with the Allman Bros. "Jessica," or the Cure with "Purple Haze." Or
          when Marillion covered "Supper's Ready" and renamed it "Grendel.")
          That's how to do a cover.

          > Morte Macabre, Symphonic Holocaust - I forget what the
          > exact story behind this album was, but at least one member
          > of Anekdoten was involved, which is what made me buy it.
          > The songs are all remakes of music from horror movies,
          > with the arrangements in a symphonic prog vein and the
          > instrumentation heavy on mellotron. As you would expect,
          > it's fairly heavy, dark and foreboding, and yet parts of
          > it are oddly soothing as well. It makes for great
          > headphone listening at work. The bits with acoustic
          > guitar remind me of early Pink Floyd. Good CD.

          I don't listen to this one too much anymore, but it still gets some
          spins now and again. There was a time when I made a point to listen to
          it on rainy days - it just sets a perfect mood. IIRC, it is the
          drummer and guitarist from Anekdoten and the bassist and guitarist
          from Landberk. I think everyone was credited with mellotrons, but that
          was just to hammer home the fact that this album has A LOT OF
          MELLOTRON on it. (I believe just two of the members actually played it)

          > Yes, Symphonic Music of Yes - Other than that...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

          Zzzzz indeed. I can't remember what happened to my copy of this. Maybe
          I sold it.

          - Jeff

          np: Mono
        • Michael Prete
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
            >> Soundgarden, Superunknown - my wife bought this CD, and
            >> I have no idea why. Just as I have no idea how anyone
            >> can take this band seriously. I swear that if Spinal Tap
            >> decided to go grunge, they'd sound JUST LIKE THIS. Only
            >> they'd at least be joking. Ew.
            >
            > Ahem. I happen to like Soundgarden quite a bit. Note to self: Kick
            > Bob's ass next time I see him. (And since we're on the "S" section, I
            > would be remiss if I didn't mention my least favorite band/artist of
            > all time: Soundscape. If Spinal Tap decided to release a prog-metal
            > album, that is what they would sound like)

            THORNE ROCKS!!

            - Mike
          • rich mueller
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
              On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:22:33 -0000 "biceeichler" <eichler@...>
              writes:

              > Here's the last batch of "S" titles:
              >
              > Supernatural Fairy Tales:
              >. I really like "Kings and
              > Queens" by Renaissance - I might be the only prog
              > fan around who prefers the pre-Annie Haslam
              > version of the band.

              Me too! Honestly, back in the 70's when that music was new, i always
              found Haslam's voice kind of, well.......grating in a comically dramatic
              way. I recently got the KaQ's album, like it very well.

              > Soundgarden, Superunknown - my wife bought this CD, and
              > I have no idea why. Just as I have no idea how anyone
              > can take this band seriously. I swear that if Spinal Tap
              > decided to go grunge, they'd sound JUST LIKE THIS. Only
              > they'd at least be joking. Ew.

              I can't agree, don't see the Spianal Tap connection at all. If you're
              just not a fan of this type of music i understand. If you like the older
              Black Sabbath, heavier Led Zeppelin or newer bands Queens of the Stone
              Age or Fu Manchu then Soundgarden is a good fit. File under Stoner Rock
              (although Nigel does appear to be a bit of a stoner).

              > Supper's Ready -
              On the plus side, Kevin Gilbert's
              > version of "Back in N.Y.C." (the reason I bought the CD)
              > is pretty good,

              If you like this I would suggest checking into Jeff Buckley's Sketch's
              (for my Sweetheart the Drunk). I am a latecommer to the Buckley party, i
              picked this up a few months back. There is a version of this song with
              him an electric guitar and a cheap 4 track machine that will send chills
              down your spine. Needless to say now i get the hype surrounding JB and
              became quite a fan. Highly recommended for those who like great
              songwriters.

              > Joe Satriani, Surfing with the Alien - the prototypical
              > guitar hero album. Of the several guitar-centric,
              > instrumental albums I own, this one is probably my
              > favorite. It even bumps Zappa's "Shut Up 'n' Play Yer
              > Guitar" out of the top spot, and that's saying something.
              > Very flashy, very catchy, a wide variety of moods and
              > great background music. If you like guitar and don't
              > already have this CD, you should get it.

              I have lost interest in guitar wankery albums over the years but still
              have kind of a soft spot for Joe. My 2 faves are the self titled Joe
              Satiani for it's stripped down organic sound (actually sounds like it
              might have been tracked live). and Engines of Creation, the techno album
              that sounds like Joe vs the computer. The tunes are strong on both of
              thes albums and thank goodness neither of these have vocals.

              > Stereolab, Switched on Stereolab - wow, I had almost
              > forgotten about this CD.

              Every time I hear this band on the radio (we have a wonderful station
              that actually plays this stuff) I say to myself "must get Stereolab!"
              Thanks for the reminder.

              > Morte Macabre, Symphonic Holocaust - I forget what the
              > exact story behind this album was, but at least one member
              > of Anekdoten was involved, which is what made me buy it.
              > The songs are all remakes of music from horror movies,
              > with the arrangements in a symphonic prog vein and the
              > instrumentation heavy on mellotron. As you would expect,
              > it's fairly heavy, dark and foreboding, and yet parts of
              > it are oddly soothing as well. It makes for great
              > headphone listening at work. The bits with acoustic
              > guitar remind me of early Pink Floyd. Good CD.

              I think the other contributing members are from Landberk. I am very big
              into brooding Swedish music. If you ever want a great companion piece to
              this album i very highly recomend the Fantomas Director's Cut.

              rich
            • Bobby Simons
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006

                > > Ahem. I happen to like Soundgarden quite a bit. Note to self: Kick
                > > Bob's ass next time I see him...

                I likewise think that Superunknown a killer recording, and Chris
                Cornell is definitely one of today's top-shelf, A-list vocalists. He
                kicks ass on that record, and his solo effort 'Euphoria Morning' is
                positively brilliant.
                Bobby Simons
                AIM: patentdraw
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

                  > Bob wrote:
                  >
                  >>Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era
                  >
                  > I bought this box set and it came with one cd missing and two
                  > copies of one of the others. I don't remember off the top of my
                  > head which CD was not there and which was double, but I was not
                  > very happy with it. I think I ordered it through the mail, so I
                  > never bothered to return it to get a correct copy.

                  If you want, I can CDR you a copy of the disc you're missing.
                  Contact me off-list (eichler at epix dot net) if you're intested.

                  > (NP - Boud Deun - Astronomy Made Easy)

                  Hey! By amazing coincidence, I picked that CD out to listen to in
                  the car the last couple days. Probably the first time we've ever
                  been listening to the same CD on the same day. :-) Man, do I miss
                  Boud Deun. I'd kill to see them play another live show. Oh well.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                    "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...> wrote:

                    > "biceeichler" <eichler@> wrote:
                    >
                    > with Les Claypool's annoying voice wears thin pretty quickly.
                    >
                    > > Soundgarden, Superunknown - my wife bought this CD, and
                    > > I have no idea why. Just as I have no idea how anyone
                    > > can take this band seriously. I swear that if Spinal Tap
                    > > decided to go grunge, they'd sound JUST LIKE THIS. Only
                    > > they'd at least be joking. Ew.
                    >
                    > Ahem. I happen to like Soundgarden quite a bit. Note to self: Kick
                    > Bob's ass next time I see him.

                    Wait, you like Soundgarden and you have the nerve to complain
                    about Les Claypool's voice? OK, another poster even singled
                    out the vocalist from Soundgarden for praise. I JUST DON'T
                    GET THAT. That guy has a HORRIBLE voice, and he whines to boot.
                    I know it's all just taste, but I honestly don't see why you guys
                    like that band. They sound like a self-parody.

                    > (And since we're on the "S" section, I would be remiss if I didn't
                    > mention my least favorite band/artist of all time: Soundscape.

                    Oh, come on, I've heard MUCH worse than Soundscape. Granted,
                    they're not my first choice to listen to, but their "Discovery"
                    CD isn't that bad. I'd take it over Soundgarden. And their
                    "America the Beautiful" has a painting of a naked chick on the
                    cover. And...well, OK, that's about all you can say for Soundscape.
                    Actually, I never would have heard anything by them except that
                    they sent me their CDs for free (back when they had their
                    rec.music.progressive giveaway).

                    > If Spinal Tap decided to release a prog-metal
                    > album, that is what they would sound like)

                    Can't disagree with that.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006

                      > (NP - Boud Deun - Astronomy Made Easy)

                      Hey!  By amazing coincidence, I picked that CD out to listen to in
                      the car the last couple days.  Probably the first time we've ever
                      been listening to the same CD on the same day. :-)  Man, do I miss
                      Boud Deun.  I'd kill to see them play another live show.  Oh well.<<

                      Yea, I pull this one out every once in a while.  That is pretty strange that we would be listening to this disc.  It has aged quite well and brings me back to my first Progday.

                      Steve Sly
                      Progday 2006
                      (NP - Yes - Union)