Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Bands for Kansas fans

  • T. J. Higgins
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2006
      On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 02:00:47PM -0000, jeffoaster wrote:
      > Noah's
      > suggestion (at least I think it was Noah) of Hackett's "Please Don't
      > Touch" is an excellent one - Walsh sings on two songs, and another
      > member of Kansas contributes somewhere (drums IIRC).

      Which reminds me of another album that Walsh sings a few songs on:
      "Around The Sun" by Jeff Watson (formerly of Night Ranger).
      Pretty decent album, but to my knowledge Walsh still hasn't
      been paid the money Watson owes him, which remains a point of
      contention between them.

      Some more suggestions:
      David Ragsdale, "David & Goliath"
      Kerry Livgren, "One of Several Possible Musiks"
      Kerry Livgren, "Odyssey Into The Mind's Eye"
      Steve Walsh, "Glossolalia" (we're not in Kansas anymore! :^)
      Steve Walsh, "Shadowman"
      Steve Morse, "Major Impacts"

      Another violin-based band is Ozone Quartet.

      Most Kansas fans will probably like Discipline/Matthew Parmenter.

      T.J.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2006
        > big Kansas fan and is looking for more bands to explore
        > in that style.

        OK, I summed up all the responses and here's what I'm going to
        send the guy:

        Probably would like:
        Salem Hill, particularly the Ragsdale CDs (which are?)
        Proto-Kaw
        Zello (Swedish Kansas "clone")
        IZZ
        Kerry Livgren, "One of Several Possible Musiks"
        Kerry Livgren, "Odyssey Into The Mind's Eye"
        Possibly other Kerry Livgren solo albums
        Steve Walsh, "Glossolalia"
        Steve Walsh, "Shadowman"
        Steve Walsh, "Schemer/Dreamer" (if it's still in print)

        Possibly would like:
        Spock's Beard, particularly _The Light_
        Steve Hackett, particularly _Please Don't Touch_ (Steve Walsh sings
        on two tracks) or _Guitar Noir_
        UK
        Boston, Chicago (following the "classic rock with place name" theme)
        Enchant (for similar vocal style)
        Jeff Watson (of Night Ranger) _Around the Sun_ (more Walsh vocals)
        Discipline/Matthew Parmenter
        Magellan (the first album)

        If he thinks he may like fusion with a violin:
        David Ragsdale, "David & Goliath" (Isn't this long out of print?)
        KBB
        Dixie Dregs (also features ex-Kansas guitarist Steve Morse)
        Steve Morse solo albums
        Boud Deun
        Ozone Quartet

        Not really like Kansas at all, but has violin:
        some Magma (Live/Hhai?)
        Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2006
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@y...>
          wrote:

          > p.s. Sudoku's are freaking addictive - I bought a kid's version for
          > my daughter, and ended by one for myself a few day's later. Has
          > anyone tried the "Kakuru" type of puzzle yet? They look really tough.

          The sudoku book I bought for my wife for Xmas has a bunch of
          variation games - I don't know if any of them are "Kakuru". I'm
          having a hard enough time with the medium level sudoku games.
          On the upside, after struggling with the mediums for a couple
          days, I went back and did an easy one in about three and a half
          minutes.

          BTW, I read on another newsgroup that these types of puzzles have
          actually been around for decades - "Games" magazine and others have
          been publishing them for years. Someone just came up with the idea
          of giving it a Japanese-sounding name, and promoting it, and bingo,
          a sudden "new" craze.

          I should have known, because I could have sworn I remembered doing
          a puzzle very similar to sudoku in college back in the late 80s.

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
        • Scott Storey
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2006
            Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Bands for Kansas fans Bice,

            I haven’t heard anything from these guys in a while, but Under The Sun (Magna Carta records) might appeal to him as well. You might recall that they played NF a few years back.

            -sds
            -np – delicious agony net radio

            On 1/10/06 6:33 PM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

            > big Kansas fan and is looking for more bands to explore
            > in that style.

            OK, I summed up all the responses and here's what I'm going to
            send the guy:

            Probably would like:
            Salem Hill, particularly the Ragsdale CDs (which are?)
            Proto-Kaw
            Zello (Swedish Kansas "clone")
            IZZ
            Kerry Livgren, "One of Several Possible Musiks"
            Kerry Livgren, "Odyssey Into The Mind's Eye"
            Possibly other Kerry Livgren solo albums
            Steve Walsh, "Glossolalia"
            Steve Walsh, "Shadowman"
            Steve Walsh, "Schemer/Dreamer" (if it's still in print)

            Possibly would like:
            Spock's Beard, particularly _The Light_
            Steve Hackett, particularly _Please Don't Touch_ (Steve Walsh sings
            on two tracks) or _Guitar Noir_
            UK
            Boston, Chicago (following the "classic rock with place name" theme)
            Enchant (for similar vocal style)
            Jeff Watson (of Night Ranger) _Around the Sun_ (more Walsh vocals)
            Discipline/Matthew Parmenter
            Magellan (the first album)

            If he thinks he may like fusion with a violin:
            David Ragsdale, "David & Goliath" (Isn't this long out of print?)
            KBB
            Dixie Dregs (also features ex-Kansas guitarist Steve Morse)
            Steve Morse solo albums
            Boud Deun
            Ozone Quartet

            Not really like Kansas at all, but has violin:
            some Magma (Live/Hhai?)
            Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          • Jim B
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 13, 2006
              Howdy All,

              I am very behind this discussion. I've had modem problems (it didn't work) Many of you know me from the Kansas mailing list.

              I'd add:

              Spock's Beard and Neal Morse
              Any Magellen (though it's repeative)
              Explorers Club (Walsh and Livgren are the second cd)
              Dream Theater
              Symphony X
              Mastermind
              Ice Age
              Shadow Gallery

              The last five are prog metal bands so the enjoyment will vary. I love prog metal but thats my opinion.

              Jim B

              NP: DirecTV: XM's Music Lab: "Stream of Conciousness" by Dream Theater

              "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin