Echoes Listener Poll

  • John Diliberto
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
      ECHOES

      A Nightly Music Soundscape

      Echoes is the nightly music soundscape heard on over 130 public radio stations, on-line at www.echoes.org. and on XM Satellite Radio, Channel 133 on Sunday 3 til 5 pm ET and Monday 3 til 5am ET.

      THE BEST OF ECHOES  2005:  Listener Poll

      The Best of Echoes 2005 Listener Poll program will air Wednesday, December 14th,
      Sunday, December 18th, and Friday, December 30th.

      1.  Yo Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble - Silk Road Journeys -  (Sony Classical)
      2.  Afro Celt Sound System - Volume V: Anatomic - (Real World Records)
      3.  Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth - (Ryko)
      4.  Laliya - Just Like River - Laliya (Self  Released)
      5.  Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up - (Nonesuch)
      6.  Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)
      7.  Sigur Ros - Takk - (Geffen Records)
      8.  Patrick O�Hearn - Slow Time - (Patrick O�Hearn.com)
      9.  Steve Roach - New Life Dreaming - (Timeroom Editions)
      10.  Jeff Pearce - Lingering Light -( Jeff Pearce)
      11.  Anoushka Shankar - Rise - (Angel Records)
      12.  Mark Isham - Crash OST - (Superb Records)
      13.  R.  Carlos Nakai & Keola Beamer - Our Beloved Land  - (Canyon)
      14.  Album Leaf - Soul Beach EP - (Better Looking Records)
      15.  Autumn�s Child Featuring Mark Holland - Visions and Dreams - (Cedar & Sage Music)
      16.  Adham Shaikh - Fusion - (Dakini Records)
      17.  Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By - (Domino)
      18.  Ryan Farish - From the Sky - (Neurodisc)
      19.  Hammock - Stranded Under Endless Sky - (Hammock Music, LLC)
      20.  Moby - Hotel - (V2)
      21.  Harold Budd - Avalon Sutra - (Samadhisound)
      22.  Dom F.  Scab - Crosswords - (Margen Records)
      23.  Christopher O�Riley - Hold Me to This: Christopher O�Riley Plays Radio Head - (World Village)
      24.  Kitaro - Sacred Journey of the Ku Kai Volume 2 - (Domo)
      25.  Paul Avgerinos -Phos Hilaron -  (Round Sky Music)

      John Diliberto
      ((( (((echoes))) )))
      Producer/Host
      1-610-827-9600
      http://www.echoes.org
      Mail TO:
      Echoes
      P.O. Box 256
      Chester Springs, PA 19425
      or
      Echoes
      1649 Art School Rd.
      Chester Springs, PA 19425
    • John Diliberto
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
        ECHOES
        A Nightly Music Soundscape

        25 Essential Echoes CDs for 2005

        You've seen the 2005 Echoes Listener Poll. This one is different. These are the albums that snapped the synapses of John Diliberto and the Echoes staff in 2005.

        "The 25 Essential Echoes CDs for 2005" program will air Tuesday, December 20th and Sunday, December 25th.

        1.  Laurel MacDonald - Luscinia�s Lullaby - (Improbable Music)
        2.  Jon Hassell - Maarifa Street - (Nyen)
        3.  Keola Beamer & R.  Carlos Nakai - Our Beloved Land - (Canyon)
        4.  Leo Abraham - Honey Trap - (Absolute Zero Records)
        5.  Sumner McKane - North - (Don�t Hit Your Sister Records)
        6.  Tristeza - A Colores - (Better Looking Records)
        7.  Peppino D�Agostino & Stef Burns - Bayshore Road - (Favored Nations)
        8.  Philip Glass - Orion - (Orange Mountain Music)
        9.  Matt Coldrick & Matt Hillier - Elemental Journey: Absolute Ambient Volume 2 - (Green         Nuns Music)
        10.  Mark Isham - Crash (OST) - (Superb Records)
        11.  Bluetech - Sines and Singularities - (Aleph Zero)
        12.  Manual - Azure Vista - (Darla)
        13.  Yo Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble - Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the
               Horizon - (Sony Classics)
        14.  Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth - (Ryko)
        15.  Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By - (Domino)
        16.  Anoushka Shankar - Rise - (Angel Records)
        17.  Mediaeval Baebes - Mirabilis - (Nettwerk America)
        18.  Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)
        19.  Afro Celt Sound System - Volume V: Anatomic - (Real World Records)
        20.  Mariam Matossian - Far From Home - (Self Released)
        21.  Sigur Ros - Takk - (Geffen)
        22.  Michael Hewett - Ally - (Self Released)
        23.  Harold Budd - Avalon Sutra - (Samadhisound)
        24.  Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabete - In the Heart of the Moon - (Nonesuch)
        25.  Aine Minogue - Celtic Lamentations - (Sounds True Music)

        These CD�s and other recommendations by John Diliberto can be found on our website at http://www.echoes.org/holiday.html

      • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
          Nice to see Mark Ishams soundtrack to "Crash" on that list. His filmscore was
          one of the highlights of that great movie! Very much like Tangerine Dream.
          Anyone agree with me who has seen that movie? Another film score I really liked
          from a few years ago was from the movie "Monsters Ball."

          Russell
        • jeffoaster
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, John Diliberto <johnd@e...> wrote:

            > 18. Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)

            Holy crap! I'm on the list, and I didn't even know I released an
            album. Too bad the darned record company misspelled my name
            (actually, he spells it right. It's my ancestors who spelled it wrong.)

            First Bice appears on American Idol, and then this. It's been a good
            year for P&O members.

            - Jeff OAster

            np: Nothing. Maybe I should be this Oster dude's album, and then see
            if I can get some royalties from it.
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
              "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@y...> wrote:

              > No "Strands of the Future" by Pulsar? I bet it's just because you
              > haven't gotten that far into the Ss (that looks funny, or maybe I'm
              > just over caffeinated. Should it be Ses? S's? I don't know.)

              You are correct - I haven't gotten to the "St" section yet...but
              when I do you won't see "Strands of the Future". I've never
              actually heard anything by Pulsar, and don't own any of their
              CDs. Somehow I've just never come across that band.

              Oh, and my vote would be for Ss, despite the odd way it looks.

              > Some other random comments:
              >
              > - I don't have the Shrek soundtrack, but I certainly echo your
              > sentiments about Smashmouth. Someone once pondered, "were they the
              > first band to do a premeditated sellout?" Pretty accurate
              > description of them - just an awful, awful band.

              Oh, no, I don't hate the band entirely. I like the song
              "Walking on the Sun", and didn't mind "All Star" the first
              hundred times or so that I heard it. But they definitely
              are sell-outs. And the fact that their big hit songs sound
              nothing like the rest of the album makes me wonder who's
              writing the big hit songs.

              > - By the way, Bob - How long has this Alpha Quest been going on
              > for? It's been at least a year, hasn't it? Keep it up, it's
              > enjoyable.

              Started the morning of March 16th, 2004. So one year and just
              over nine months so far. I'm about half-way through page 10 of
              13 in my printed inventory list, so I've probably got another
              four or five months to go.

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
                Scott Storey <scott.d.storey@n...> wrote:

                > > Neil Young, Silver and Gold
                >
                > I've been a Young fan since I was 12. But, he's real hit and miss
                > with me. I tend to like his adventures with Crazy Horse better
                > than without. I don't have this one though and can't comment.
                > The last NY I bought was Greendale and I was completely bored.

                Yeah, I saw the "movie" he made of Greendale, and it seemed
                pretty typical of Neil's "folky" type of music, with the added
                twist of making it a concept album following a farm family in
                a small town, with Young's usual big enviromental message at
                the end. The music wasn't bad, but the movie looked like it
                had been shot on a hundred dollar camcorder and cast with
                whatever friends were on hand that day. I'm glad I got to
                see that one for free (it was available as one of the "on
                demand" movies on digital cable).

                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/17/2005 1:38:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  eichler@... writes:

                  << You are correct - I haven't gotten to the "St" section yet...but
                  when I do you won't see "Strands of the Future". I've never
                  actually heard anything by Pulsar, and don't own any of their
                  CDs. Somehow I've just never come across that band.

                  Well someone needs to send you a CD-R or a tape of Strands of the Future,
                  Pollen and Halloween! Those 3 are a must!

                  When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the Earth and
                  Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                  Russell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 18, 2005
                    RapIsEvilCulture@a... wrote:

                    > When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the
                    > Earth and Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                    Unfortunately no. I think I heard some Far East Family Band once
                    (Ginny Landgraf let me hear one of their CDs at NEARFest one year)
                    and it sounded interesting, but I never ended up getting any of
                    their stuff.

                    There's just too many prog bands out there and not enough disposable
                    income...

                    -- Bob
                  • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 18, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/18/2005 12:41:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                      eichler@... writes:

                      << > When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the
                      > Earth and Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                      Unfortunately no. I think I heard some Far East Family Band once
                      (Ginny Landgraf let me hear one of their CDs at NEARFest one year)
                      and it sounded interesting, but I never ended up getting any of
                      their stuff. >>

                      No Pulsar and no Far East Family Band, those are must for prog fans. I do not
                      remember your "O's" but did that include One Niter by Eela Craig? Well, you
                      have any Eela Craig? Anyone on this list have any Eela Craig?

                      Russell