Re: [ProgAndOther] S, pt. 3

  • Scott Storey
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
      On 12/15/05 4:52 AM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

      > Here's the next installment in the continuing saga...anyone
      > still reading these things?

      Yep, I'm still here and enjoying the read. This list has been pretty quiet,
      so it's a good break. I haven't been replying because most of what you have
      falls into one of two categories; 1) got it and feel the same way that you
      do or 2) don't got it, and it's probably not my cup anyway.

      > Shrek soundtrack - this was bought for my daughter, who
      > seems to like the soundtrack more than the movie. My wife
      > likes most of the music too, so this became the default
      > disc to take in the car when we were all going somewhere.
      > So I've heard this CD probably at least a hundred times.

      I really enjoy the movies, but haven't made the jump to get the soundtrack.
      I'm not crazy about most movie soundtracks anyway. I've got a few, but they
      fall into the 1/10 of 1% of my collection.

      > Frank Zappa, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar - I'm not a big
      > guitar solo worshipper, so this three-disc set isn't at
      > the top of my list of favorite Zappa albums, but it makes
      > for decent background music at work.

      I'm a big fan of guitar and Zappa, but not enough to get either of FZ's
      guitar workouts. For some reason, I go towards Vai or Satriani to get my
      solo guitar fix.

      > Rush, Signals - every time I listen to this CD, I end up
      > thinking "That's a really good disc...I should get more
      > of Rush's stuff from the 80s". But then I never do.

      MAN, I thought this album sucked when I bought it. Way to many keyboards and
      not enough guitar and bass. But with time, it grew on me and has become one
      of my favorites. I still prefer Grace Under Pressure to this one though
      during this Rush period.

      > Neil Young, Silver and Gold - every few years I seem to go
      > through a "Neil Young phase" where I buy a couple of his
      > back-catalog albums, and whatever the newest one is at the
      > time.

      I've been a Young fan since I was 12. But, he's real hit and miss with me. I
      tend to like his adventures with Crazy Horse better than without. I don't
      have this one though and can't comment. The last NY I bought was Greendale
      and I was completely bored. In fact, he's not interested me much since
      Ragged Glory. It's a damn shame.

      > Squeeze, Singles 45's And Under - I forget how I got into
      > this band...I think the guy in the next dorm room over from
      > me might have given me a cassette dub of this album, but
      > I'm not sure. At any rate, I liked it enough to eventually
      > replace the dub with a CD, and later bought another "Best
      > Of" disc that had another 10 tracks or so.

      I haven't listened to an album by these guys in a while, but really do like
      their brand of pop music. East Side Story is probably my favorite. Argybargy
      is a close close second though.

      > Smokin' Granny, Sirius Matter - I enjoy listening to this
      > CD, but after hearing the live versions of these songs so
      > many times (from my tapes of the band at ProgDay '97 and
      > the preshows they've performed since), the studio versions
      > sound "off" somehow.

      I've only listened to their music off of the PD samplers and such and don't
      have a proper release. They're on my endless list of music to buy.

      > Frank Zappa, Sleep Dirt - This album is about half guitar
      > showcase (the feedback drenched "Filthy Habits", the
      > rare acoustic duet "Sleep Dirt" and the jazzy trio
      > workout "The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution") and half
      > songs from an abandoned concept album about giant
      > spiders from outer space ("Flam Bay", "Spider of
      > Destiny" and "Time is Money"). The latter songs
      > infuriated many long-time Zappa fans when this album
      > was first released on CD - the original vinyl versions
      > were instrumental, while the CD versions had vocals
      > added. The instrumental versions still have never
      > been issued on CD, although the "Lather" boxed set
      > has shorter versions of a couple of them. I never
      > really listened to the lyrics before - I can see why
      > people were upset, these lyrics are really lame.
      > Probably intentionally so. "Flam Bay" in particular
      > is just goofy, with the female vocalist singing
      > about having sex with one of the giant spiders.
      > I like this album a lot, but would love to hear
      > the original all-instrumental version some day.

      I've got the vinyl version of this album. If I can get my cd recorder back
      in working order, I'll try to remember to burn you a copy.

      > Mike Keneally & Beer For Dolphins, Sluggo - Damn, I had
      > forgotten how good this album is. One of those discs
      > where I don't want each track to end, but when the next
      > one starts I get excited because it's a great song too.

      Another on my list of music to buy. Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity.

      -cheers
      -sds
      -np - love - forever changes
    • John Diliberto
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
        ECHOES

        A Nightly Music Soundscape

        Echoes is the nightly music soundscape heard on over 130 public radio stations, on-line at www.echoes.org. and on XM Satellite Radio, Channel 133 on Sunday 3 til 5 pm ET and Monday 3 til 5am ET.

        THE BEST OF ECHOES  2005:  Listener Poll

        The Best of Echoes 2005 Listener Poll program will air Wednesday, December 14th,
        Sunday, December 18th, and Friday, December 30th.

        1.  Yo Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble - Silk Road Journeys -  (Sony Classical)
        2.  Afro Celt Sound System - Volume V: Anatomic - (Real World Records)
        3.  Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth - (Ryko)
        4.  Laliya - Just Like River - Laliya (Self  Released)
        5.  Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up - (Nonesuch)
        6.  Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)
        7.  Sigur Ros - Takk - (Geffen Records)
        8.  Patrick O�Hearn - Slow Time - (Patrick O�Hearn.com)
        9.  Steve Roach - New Life Dreaming - (Timeroom Editions)
        10.  Jeff Pearce - Lingering Light -( Jeff Pearce)
        11.  Anoushka Shankar - Rise - (Angel Records)
        12.  Mark Isham - Crash OST - (Superb Records)
        13.  R.  Carlos Nakai & Keola Beamer - Our Beloved Land  - (Canyon)
        14.  Album Leaf - Soul Beach EP - (Better Looking Records)
        15.  Autumn�s Child Featuring Mark Holland - Visions and Dreams - (Cedar & Sage Music)
        16.  Adham Shaikh - Fusion - (Dakini Records)
        17.  Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By - (Domino)
        18.  Ryan Farish - From the Sky - (Neurodisc)
        19.  Hammock - Stranded Under Endless Sky - (Hammock Music, LLC)
        20.  Moby - Hotel - (V2)
        21.  Harold Budd - Avalon Sutra - (Samadhisound)
        22.  Dom F.  Scab - Crosswords - (Margen Records)
        23.  Christopher O�Riley - Hold Me to This: Christopher O�Riley Plays Radio Head - (World Village)
        24.  Kitaro - Sacred Journey of the Ku Kai Volume 2 - (Domo)
        25.  Paul Avgerinos -Phos Hilaron -  (Round Sky Music)

        John Diliberto
        ((( (((echoes))) )))
        Producer/Host
        1-610-827-9600
        http://www.echoes.org
        Mail TO:
        Echoes
        P.O. Box 256
        Chester Springs, PA 19425
        or
        Echoes
        1649 Art School Rd.
        Chester Springs, PA 19425
      • John Diliberto
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
          ECHOES
          A Nightly Music Soundscape

          25 Essential Echoes CDs for 2005

          You've seen the 2005 Echoes Listener Poll. This one is different. These are the albums that snapped the synapses of John Diliberto and the Echoes staff in 2005.

          "The 25 Essential Echoes CDs for 2005" program will air Tuesday, December 20th and Sunday, December 25th.

          1.  Laurel MacDonald - Luscinia�s Lullaby - (Improbable Music)
          2.  Jon Hassell - Maarifa Street - (Nyen)
          3.  Keola Beamer & R.  Carlos Nakai - Our Beloved Land - (Canyon)
          4.  Leo Abraham - Honey Trap - (Absolute Zero Records)
          5.  Sumner McKane - North - (Don�t Hit Your Sister Records)
          6.  Tristeza - A Colores - (Better Looking Records)
          7.  Peppino D�Agostino & Stef Burns - Bayshore Road - (Favored Nations)
          8.  Philip Glass - Orion - (Orange Mountain Music)
          9.  Matt Coldrick & Matt Hillier - Elemental Journey: Absolute Ambient Volume 2 - (Green         Nuns Music)
          10.  Mark Isham - Crash (OST) - (Superb Records)
          11.  Bluetech - Sines and Singularities - (Aleph Zero)
          12.  Manual - Azure Vista - (Darla)
          13.  Yo Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble - Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the
                 Horizon - (Sony Classics)
          14.  Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth - (Ryko)
          15.  Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By - (Domino)
          16.  Anoushka Shankar - Rise - (Angel Records)
          17.  Mediaeval Baebes - Mirabilis - (Nettwerk America)
          18.  Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)
          19.  Afro Celt Sound System - Volume V: Anatomic - (Real World Records)
          20.  Mariam Matossian - Far From Home - (Self Released)
          21.  Sigur Ros - Takk - (Geffen)
          22.  Michael Hewett - Ally - (Self Released)
          23.  Harold Budd - Avalon Sutra - (Samadhisound)
          24.  Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabete - In the Heart of the Moon - (Nonesuch)
          25.  Aine Minogue - Celtic Lamentations - (Sounds True Music)

          These CD�s and other recommendations by John Diliberto can be found on our website at http://www.echoes.org/holiday.html

        • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
            Nice to see Mark Ishams soundtrack to "Crash" on that list. His filmscore was
            one of the highlights of that great movie! Very much like Tangerine Dream.
            Anyone agree with me who has seen that movie? Another film score I really liked
            from a few years ago was from the movie "Monsters Ball."

            Russell
          • jeffoaster
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 16, 2005
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, John Diliberto <johnd@e...> wrote:

              > 18. Jeff Oster - Released - (Retso Records)

              Holy crap! I'm on the list, and I didn't even know I released an
              album. Too bad the darned record company misspelled my name
              (actually, he spells it right. It's my ancestors who spelled it wrong.)

              First Bice appears on American Idol, and then this. It's been a good
              year for P&O members.

              - Jeff OAster

              np: Nothing. Maybe I should be this Oster dude's album, and then see
              if I can get some royalties from it.
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
                "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@y...> wrote:

                > No "Strands of the Future" by Pulsar? I bet it's just because you
                > haven't gotten that far into the Ss (that looks funny, or maybe I'm
                > just over caffeinated. Should it be Ses? S's? I don't know.)

                You are correct - I haven't gotten to the "St" section yet...but
                when I do you won't see "Strands of the Future". I've never
                actually heard anything by Pulsar, and don't own any of their
                CDs. Somehow I've just never come across that band.

                Oh, and my vote would be for Ss, despite the odd way it looks.

                > Some other random comments:
                >
                > - I don't have the Shrek soundtrack, but I certainly echo your
                > sentiments about Smashmouth. Someone once pondered, "were they the
                > first band to do a premeditated sellout?" Pretty accurate
                > description of them - just an awful, awful band.

                Oh, no, I don't hate the band entirely. I like the song
                "Walking on the Sun", and didn't mind "All Star" the first
                hundred times or so that I heard it. But they definitely
                are sell-outs. And the fact that their big hit songs sound
                nothing like the rest of the album makes me wonder who's
                writing the big hit songs.

                > - By the way, Bob - How long has this Alpha Quest been going on
                > for? It's been at least a year, hasn't it? Keep it up, it's
                > enjoyable.

                Started the morning of March 16th, 2004. So one year and just
                over nine months so far. I'm about half-way through page 10 of
                13 in my printed inventory list, so I've probably got another
                four or five months to go.

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
                  Scott Storey <scott.d.storey@n...> wrote:

                  > > Neil Young, Silver and Gold
                  >
                  > I've been a Young fan since I was 12. But, he's real hit and miss
                  > with me. I tend to like his adventures with Crazy Horse better
                  > than without. I don't have this one though and can't comment.
                  > The last NY I bought was Greendale and I was completely bored.

                  Yeah, I saw the "movie" he made of Greendale, and it seemed
                  pretty typical of Neil's "folky" type of music, with the added
                  twist of making it a concept album following a farm family in
                  a small town, with Young's usual big enviromental message at
                  the end. The music wasn't bad, but the movie looked like it
                  had been shot on a hundred dollar camcorder and cast with
                  whatever friends were on hand that day. I'm glad I got to
                  see that one for free (it was available as one of the "on
                  demand" movies on digital cable).

                  -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 17, 2005
                    In a message dated 12/17/2005 1:38:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    eichler@... writes:

                    << You are correct - I haven't gotten to the "St" section yet...but
                    when I do you won't see "Strands of the Future". I've never
                    actually heard anything by Pulsar, and don't own any of their
                    CDs. Somehow I've just never come across that band.

                    Well someone needs to send you a CD-R or a tape of Strands of the Future,
                    Pollen and Halloween! Those 3 are a must!

                    When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the Earth and
                    Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                    Russell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 18, 2005
                      RapIsEvilCulture@a... wrote:

                      > When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the
                      > Earth and Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                      Unfortunately no. I think I heard some Far East Family Band once
                      (Ginny Landgraf let me hear one of their CDs at NEARFest one year)
                      and it sounded interesting, but I never ended up getting any of
                      their stuff.

                      There's just too many prog bands out there and not enough disposable
                      income...

                      -- Bob
                    • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 18, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/18/2005 12:41:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        eichler@... writes:

                        << > When you get to the T's, is it going to have The Cave Down to the
                        > Earth and Tenkujin by Far East Family Band?

                        Unfortunately no. I think I heard some Far East Family Band once
                        (Ginny Landgraf let me hear one of their CDs at NEARFest one year)
                        and it sounded interesting, but I never ended up getting any of
                        their stuff. >>

                        No Pulsar and no Far East Family Band, those are must for prog fans. I do not
                        remember your "O's" but did that include One Niter by Eela Craig? Well, you
                        have any Eela Craig? Anyone on this list have any Eela Craig?

                        Russell