Re: [ProgAndOther] More Ps

  • Michael Prete
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2005
      > ProgDay 2003 Sampler disc - Man, Krakatoa got kind of
      > shortchanged on this sampler with only three minutes
      > of music. Guess it's their own fault for having such
      > short songs. I forgot how good they are though, I'll
      > have to dig out the CD I bought from them that year.
      > Cast is one of the huge pile of generic symphonic
      > prog/neo bands that all sound pretty much the same to
      > me, so their nine-minute track seems to take forever.
      > Arti+Mestiere get two tracks that total over 13
      > minutes, and they deserve every second - great band.
      > Just wish the sound quality of these live tracks
      > was better. Bubblemath is one of the bands that
      > tries a little too hard to be impressive and ends up
      > leaving me feeling more fatigued than entertained.
      > Samla Mamas Manna - if I were to put together a
      > "perfect" prog festival, I'd probably start with
      > ProgDay '97 and make just a few substitutions, the
      > first of which would be to have these guys as the
      > closing band. The two tracks on this disc are
      > great, but just hint at how amazing this band was
      > live. Kraan's track is actually review instead of
      > preview - I guess their set impressed someone enough
      > to put a live song on the 2003 sampler disc, even
      > though they played in 2002. I just wish this
      > recording wasn't plagued with skips.

      The Kraan we put on for three reasons: 1. They kicked ass in 2002, and were
      one of the most impressive live bands I'd ever seen - 2. It was a 'bonus'
      incentive for people to buy the disc ;) and 3. There was room for it...

      I put this one together, and as I remember it, things like Krakatoa having
      shorther length is that the songs we used were dictated by either the band
      or label's permission. Considering I'm the biggest Krakatoa fanboy, I would
      have put more on there if I could have ;)

      > Was there a ProgDay 2005 sampler/promo disc? I
      > don't remember hearing about one. If there was
      > one, does anyone have a copy I could buy to keep
      > my collection complete?

      AFAIK, there wasn't one.

      - Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2005
        He did a two disc live album a few years ago that covers a lot of ground and is a very good overview of his career.  I think it is just called "John Prine Live", but I don't have it here in front of me so I don't remember for sure.  It is on his own "Oh Boy" label.

        Speaking of "Oh Boy" and John Prine.....anybody out there into Todd Snider?  He also records on Prine's label and is a great singer songwriter.

        Steve Sly
        Progday XII?
        (NP - Rocket Scientists - Brutal Architecture)

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2005
           No, we did not do a sampler disc last year.  The big reason was the late start we got on the festival made is so we just did not have enough time to put it together.  I am not sure if we will do one for 2006 or not.  The promotional value of them is up for debate, and getting the permissions to put them out can be a real bitch.  There are some labels that absolutely refuse to let their artists participate including one very well known US based label.  This can be a big pain in the ass, and is one of the reasons not all of the artists have been represented on past promo discs.

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/jGKolB/TM"><B>Click Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> --- The "Prog and Other" Mailing List - To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: ProgAndOther-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/