Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: For those who like lists...

  • Michael Prete
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 15, 2005
      > - Pet Sounds was played last night. While I've never heard it, I was
      > certain that it would've been a top 10 album. After listening to it, I
      > didn't feel it lived up to it's unliveabletoable hype. In fact, I
      > thought it was tremendously over produced. No wonder Brian Wilson went
      > insane and didn't get out of bed for two years.

      I felt the same way about Pet Sounds for a long time, but at some point it
      just clicked. Now it's one of my favourite albums.

      - Mike
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 16, 2005
        "progjeff2000" <jeff_oaster@n...> wrote:

        > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...>
        wrote:

        > > The top 885 list is on their web
        > > site (the top 25 aren't there yet as of this writing because
        > > they haven't played them yet) at:
        > >
        > > http://www.xpn.org/885ATGA.php
        >

        > Just some random notes:
        >
        > - It looks like WXPN has a younger fanbase (I always kinda figured
        > them to appeal to the folsky/singer-songwriter crowd that digs Joni
        > Mitchell, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan),

        But there have been a buttload of albums by Joni Mitchell, Van
        Morrison and Bob Dylan in the countdown (along with the Grateful
        Dead), and just a ton of stuff from the 70s in general, so it's
        not all younger people doing the voting.

        > - My prediction for #1: Kind of Blue. Two reasons: People's
        > opinions on which Beatles album it should be will be divided, so
        > Revolver, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper will split votes. Plus it
        > lists on XPN's webpage a bunch of their DJ's and some musicians'
        > votes, and "Kind of Blue" appears on a lot of them. Vote for Miles!

        I listened to the countdown a bit today while driving home from my
        brother's daughter's christening (the first time I've beeen dragged
        into a church in a loooong time) and just happened to hear Kind of
        Blue at album #14. And it was followed, of course, by Joni
        Mitchell's Blue at #13. I also heard the Dead's American Beauty
        at #12 and Who's Next at #11. Checking the web site I see that I
        just missed OK Computer at #15.

        The top 10 gets played tomorrow, and I noticed that Dark Sidde of
        the Moon and the White Album still haven't been played. I'm
        betting one of those two is #1.

        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • progjeff2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 18, 2005
          WXPN finished their top 885 albums of all time, and Double Helix's
          "The Butterfly Effect" narrowly edged out Thorne's "Iago." Dammit, I
          really though Thorne was gonna pull it off.

          Actually, of the top 10, five were Beatles albums, with Sgt. Pepper
          and Abbey Road coming in at 2 and 1, respectively. Dark Side of the
          Moon was #3. While I think *5* Beatles albums is a bit much, I can'r
          really argue - 5400 people voted, with a total of 6400 albums getting
          listed.

          (I should take a moment to point out that people submitted at top 10
          list, with the number 1 album getting 10 points, 2 gets 9, etc. The
          885th album received a total of 37 point. All it would've taken was
          four people to collude and list MDK, Western Culture, At-King, or Per
          Un Amico as their number 1 and it would be on the list. Something to
          remember if they do it again)

          The other top 10 albums were the Joshua Tree, Born to Run, London
          Calling, and some Bob Dylan album (Blood on the Track IIRC).
          Radiohead's OK Computer was 15, which pleases me even if I like Kid A
          better (a subjective opinion - critically OK Computer is no doubt a
          landmark album)

          I don't recall seeing either of the Mars Volta's albums in there,
          which is odd (an At the Drive-In album did make it). Maybe I missed
          it, but I figured they would be in there somewhere, considering Omar
          Rodriguez-Lopez is attempting to resuscitate the Guitar Solo.

          It was quite an enjoyable couple of weeks for me, and I applaud WXPN
          for doing such a feat.

          - Jeff, still amused that the Indigo Girls did better than Genesis.
        • Ellerbee, Jason
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 18, 2005
            On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, progjeff2000 wrote:
            > Actually, of the top 10, five were Beatles albums,

            I think this defines 'overrated', but who's counting?

            > MDK, Western Culture, At-King, or Per Un Amico

            Which one of these is not like the others?

            > The other top 10 albums were the Joshua Tree, Born to Run, London
            > Calling, and some Bob Dylan album (Blood on the Track IIRC).
            > Radiohead's OK Computer was 15, which pleases me even if I like Kid A
            > better (a subjective opinion - critically OK Computer is no doubt a
            > landmark album)

            Naturally, I don't like any of those <shrug>.

            > Rodriguez-Lopez is attempting to resuscitate the Guitar Solo.

            Are 3-CD box sets far behind?

            --
            Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
            DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.DreamsWideAwake.tk/
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 18, 2005
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Ellerbee, Jason" <jeller@u...>
              wrote:

              > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, progjeff2000 wrote:
              > > Actually, of the top 10, five were Beatles albums,
              >
              > I think this defines 'overrated', but who's counting?

              That really disappointed me that so many Beatles albums made it, but
              then again, many Beatles fans make the most fanboyish prog fans seems
              apathetic (someone once accused me of hating on the Beatles because I
              said something like "they're not really for me, although they were
              definitely the best songwriters ever." Of course, it didn't help the
              situation when I followed up with the old "What would it take to get
              the Beatles back together?" joke.)

              > > MDK, Western Culture, At-King, or Per Un Amico
              >
              > Which one of these is not like the others?

              Duh. Per Un Amico is sung it Italian.

              > > The other top 10 albums were the Joshua Tree, Born to Run, London
              > > Calling, and some Bob Dylan album (Blood on the Track IIRC).
              > > Radiohead's OK Computer was 15, which pleases me even if I like Kid A
              > > better (a subjective opinion - critically OK Computer is no doubt a
              > > landmark album)
              >
              > Naturally, I don't like any of those <shrug>.

              That's because none of them has screechy sopranos or avant twaddling
              (instead you get treated to Bob Dylan's/Thom Yorke's/Bono's whining,
              which may be worse)

              > > Rodriguez-Lopez is attempting to resuscitate the Guitar Solo.
              >
              > Are 3-CD box sets far behind?

              <whooosh> That one went over my head. Although given how much solo
              room Rodriguez-Lopez gives his bandmates (translation: none), I
              wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Vander (or Zappa) and released a
              boxed set of his solos.

              - Jeff
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 18, 2005
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progjeff2000"
                <jeff_oaster@n...> wrote:

                > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Ellerbee, Jason"
                <jeller@u...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, progjeff2000 wrote:
                > > > Actually, of the top 10, five were Beatles albums,
                > >
                > > I think this defines 'overrated', but who's counting?
                > >

                > That really disappointed me that so many Beatles albums made it,
                > but then again, many Beatles fans make the most fanboyish prog
                > fans seems apathetic

                I was pretty disgusted by their top 10. Ruined what was otherwise
                a good countdown. Five Beatles albums in the top 10, including
                both of the top 2? Come on. And the Clash, U2 and Bruce
                Springsteen in the top 10? Yep, that defines overrated all right.

                I heard the Springsteen album while driving home from work and
                honestly thought they were taking a break from the top 10. Imagine
                my surprise when they said it was #4.

                At least my guesses for #1 were close (White Album at #6 and
                Dark Side of the Moon at #3). I'm surprised that Abbey Road
                came in higher than Sgt. Pepper though - the latter is probably
                the most overrated album ever (which I say despite the fact that
                I like about half of it).

                > Of course, it didn't help the situation when I followed up with
                > the old "What would it take to get the Beatles back together?"
                > joke.)

                Hey, we're down to two bullets now. (Sorry)

                > > > MDK, Western Culture, At-King, or Per Un Amico
                > >
                > > Which one of these is not like the others?
                >
                > Duh. Per Un Amico is sung it Italian.
                > >
                > > > The other top 10 albums were the Joshua Tree, Born to Run,
                London
                > > > Calling, and some Bob Dylan album (Blood on the Track IIRC).
                > > > Radiohead's OK Computer was 15, which pleases me even if I
                like Kid A
                > > > better (a subjective opinion - critically OK Computer is no
                doubt a
                > > > landmark album)
                > >
                > > Naturally, I don't like any of those <shrug>.

                Good to hear someone else doesn't.

                > > > Rodriguez-Lopez is attempting to resuscitate the Guitar Solo.
                > >
                > > Are 3-CD box sets far behind?
                >
                > <whooosh> That one went over my head.

                I think that's a reference to Zappa's "Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar",
                although Ryko's original CD release of that album was only 2 CDs.

                > wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Vander (or Zappa) and
                > released a boxed set of his solos.

                Well there, you DID get it.

                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              • Scott Storey
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 19, 2005
                  Beatles, was Re: And the winner is... As I’ve always said, never, in an open forum, discuss politics, religion.....or the Beatles. Seriously though, I’m the biggest Beatles fan I know, and I wouldn’t have filled out the top 10 with more than one album. There’s just too much good stuff out there. Can’t say that I’d be putting Magma’s MDK in front of the White Album though.

                  -sds
                  -np – weather report – black market

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 19, 2005
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Scott Storey
                    <scott.d.storey@n...> wrote:

                    > As I¹ve always said, never, in an open forum, discuss politics,
                    > religion.....or the Beatles.

                    I'm going to have to reply to this post. Hopefully, Bice doesn't put
                    on us moderated status for talking about a taboo subject.

                    Seriously though, I¹m the biggest Beatles fan I
                    > know, and I wouldn¹t have filled out the top 10 with more than one
                    album.

                    When I wrote up what I thought their top 10 was going to be, I figured
                    three Beatles albums sounded about right.

                    > There¹s just too much good stuff out there. Can¹t say that I¹d be
                    putting
                    > Magma¹s MDK in front of the White Album though.

                    If I were making my list objectively, I'd definitely rank some Beatles
                    stuff higher than MDK. Hey, I'm fanatical about Team Vander, but I can
                    still keep them in persepctive.

                    Actually, if I wrote up my top 10 list, MDK wouldn't make it on there
                    (I would include Theatre du Taur, which has MDK on it though. K.A.
                    would probably make it too)

                    - Jeff
                  • rich mueller
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 20, 2005
                      While on The Beatles subject, something worth mentioning, my wife gave me
                      Sir Paul's new one as a gift last week Chaos and Creation From the
                      Backyard. After so many years of listen to things like XTC and Adrian
                      Belew and thinking- gosh, I really dig that Beatles influence, it's
                      really nice to hear the real thing. Right now it's my favorite solo Paul
                      disc (neck and neck with Ram) and high on the list for fave solo Beatles.

                      rich

                      On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:25:25 -0500 Scott Storey <scott.d.storey@...>
                      writes:
                      > As I�ve always said, never, in an open forum, discuss politics,
                      > religion.....or the Beatles. Seriously though, I�m the biggest
                      > Beatles fan I
                      > know, and I wouldn�t have filled out the top 10 with more than one
                      > album.
                      > There�s just too much good stuff out there. Can�t say that I�d be
                      > putting
                      > Magma�s MDK in front of the White Album though.
                      >
                      > -sds
                      > -np � weather report � black market
                      >
                      > On 10/18/05 6:34 PM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progjeff2000"

                      > > <jeller@u...>

                      > it,
                      > >
                      > > I was pretty disgusted by their top 10. Ruined what was otherwise
                      > > a good countdown. Five Beatles albums in the top 10, including
                      > > both of the top 2? Come on. And the Clash, U2 and Bruce
                      > > Springsteen in the top 10? Yep, that defines overrated all right.
                      > >
                      > > I heard the Springsteen album while driving home from work and
                      > > honestly thought they were taking a break from the top 10.
                      > Imagine
                      > > my surprise when they said it was #4.
                      > >
                      > > At least my guesses for #1 were close (White Album at #6 and
                      > > Dark Side of the Moon at #3). I'm surprised that Abbey Road
                      > > came in higher than Sgt. Pepper though - the latter is probably
                      > > the most overrated album ever (which I say despite the fact that
                      > > I like about half of it).

                    • Scott Storey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 20, 2005
                        Re: [ProgAndOther] Beatles, was Re: And the winner is... Is it that good? I’ve been sort of lukewarm over his solo stuff in the last few years. Flaming Pie being my favorite. But, even that one doesn’t get as much play as Band On The Run or Venus And Mars. Maybe I should reconsider the new one...

                        -sds
                        - np – chris thile – not all who wander are lost

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 20, 2005
                          Yes, it is that good. I have never been much of a fan of big Mac's solo
                          stuff except I really, really like Ram. I don't know, maybe it's
                          Radiohead's producer or being fully adjusted to a life without Linda. I
                          listened to this one song after the next waiting for the frootie
                          cheeseball of a song, but it never happened. Buy it.

                          rich

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 20, 2005
                            I have had similar thoughts.  I really thought "Driving Rain" was a pretty weak album.  "Flaming Pie" was a lot better and I also liked "Off The Ground" a lot too.  How does the new one compare to those three?

                            Steve Sly
                            Progday XII
                            (NP - Alan Parsons Project - Gaudi

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 21, 2005
                              I honestly couldn't compare because i have really ignored Paul's later
                              disc. I heard a newer one recently (don't remember the title) that was
                              supposed to be more of a throwback to rootsier rock'n'roll, it had David
                              Gilmour and Ian Paice on it i think- didn't do a whole lot for me. This
                              new one seriously did do it for me.

                              While we're at it, I should mention that wifee also got me the new
                              Stones- A Bigger Bang, another one that totally caught me off guard and
                              another very high recommendation, It's pretty interesting that last week
                              a prune faced Rod Stewart, in his fancy Italian suits and hairdoo, croons
                              (or croaks) another volume of smoothness for the blue hair set, and then
                              you have the Stones cranking out some rock'n'roll like it's 1975 all over
                              again.

                              It's been a weird year musically, I have gotten a lot of new mainstream
                              releases from the corporate mega-uber-stores that I really like, maybe
                              proving that it is safe to rock again.

                              rich

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 21, 2005
                                 Speaking of the Stones..........I don't have the new one, but I happened to pull the "Steel Wheels" album out of mothballs the other night and I really enjoyed it.  Sometimes I need a dose of well done basic rock and the Stones are always good for that.

                                Steve Sly
                                Progday XII
                                (NP - Shadow Gallery - Carved In Stone)