Re: Alt Prog

  • jeffoaster
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hall <motorcityprogger@y...>
      wrote:

      > I use the term loosely to describe bands that have bits and pieces
      that sound like prog to me. The Mars Volta is another good example.

      I sorta use this term too. When I was throwing a bunch of songs onto
      my mp3 player that could be classified as "modern rock with definite
      touches of proginess," I called the folder "alternaprog." Yeah, it's a
      stupid label, but I needed to call the folder something, and
      "Mogwaitortoisetrailofdeadradioheadtooldomakesaythink" sounded too
      much like a Silver Mt Zion album title.

      Incidentally, Bob: I don't know if you'll like Radiohead, largely
      because Thom Yorke definitely is a member of the "Vocalists Bob Hates"
      club - he's kinda whiny and overwrought - although he definitely pulls
      it off about as well as anyone not named Peter Hammill (in my
      opinion). Musically they're great, and do a terrific job of
      incorporating an older (analog equipment) sound with a modern
      (electronics) sound. I personally like Kid A best, but OK Computer is
      where they really hit their stride. I also really like how they keep
      their albums pretty short. I believe they are all under 50 minutes -
      that way they never seem to get tiresome. I have four of their albums,
      and like them quite a bit.

      - Jeff, who should probably get some work done.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
        I would not think that Radiohead would be Bob's cup of tea, but he might surprise me.  I agree that the vocalist would probably be the downfall for him though.

        Steve Sly
        Progday XI
        (NP - The Flower Kings - Adam And Eve)

        > > I use the term loosely to describe bands that have bits and pieces
        that sound like prog to me. The Mars Volta is another good example.

        I sorta use this term too. When I was throwing a bunch of songs onto my mp3 player that could be classified as "modern rock with definite touches of proginess," I called the folder "alternaprog." Yeah, it's a stupid label, but I needed to call the folder something, and "Mogwaitortoisetrailofdeadradioheadtooldomakesaythink" sounded too much like a Silver Mt Zion album title. Incidentally, Bob: I don't know if you'll like Radiohead, largely because Thom Yorke definitely is a member of the "Vocalists Bob Hates" club - he's kinda whiny and overwrought - although he definitely pulls it off about as well as anyone not named Peter Hammill (in my opinion). Musically they're great, and do a terrific job of incorporating an older (analog equipment) sound with a modern (electronics) sound. I personally like Kid A best, but OK Computer is where they really hit their stride. I also really like how they keep their albums pretty short. I believe they are all under 50 minutes - that way they never seem to get tiresome. I have four of their albums, and like them quite a bit. - Jeff, who should probably get some work done. --- The "Prog and Other" Mailing List - To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: ProgAndOther-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Noah Lesgold
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
          On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 stevesly@... wrote:

          > I would not think that Radiohead would be Bob's cup of tea, but he
          > might surprise me. I agree that the vocalist would probably be the
          > downfall for him though.

          I would actually recommend trying _Kid A_ - I like it more than _OK
          Computer_ and in general Thom Yorke is not particularly aggravating on
          it (in stark contrast to _Amnesiac_). It also might be easier to find
          used.

          --
          Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
          nlesgold@... AIM/Y!: nlesgold ICQ: 132716231

          "Your incompetence and your stupidity compete for first place in a
          tournament of folly." --Spummy, in Goats (www.goats.com)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
            Yea, I would think Bob would probably dig "Kid A" better than "OK Computer" since it is the more "out there" of the two.

            Steve Sly
            Progday XI
            (NP - The Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls)

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@a... wrote:

              > I would not think that Radiohead would be Bob's cup of tea, but he
              > might surprise me. I agree that the vocalist would probably be the
              > downfall for him though.

              A friend of my wife gave us a "Modern Rock" compliation CD that
              she didn't want any more, and it has the Radiohead song "Fake
              Plastic Trees" (or some title like that) on it. Is that song
              representative of his voice? Because I don't actually *like*
              the singing, but it's oddly compelling in some way. The sort
              of thing that sticks around in my head and makes me want to
              howl along with it, despite not really liking it.

              The other bit of Radiohead in my collection is a Mike Keneally
              live recording where he covers the song "Paranoid Android" from
              OK Computer. Which I realize isn't really a fair way to judge the
              original, but when Mike sings it he puts on this really annoying
              whiney falsetto voice - listening to the 30 second clip of the
              song on Amazon makes it sound like Mike was pretty accurate.
              Don't know if I could take a whole album of that.

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
            • barnestoneworth
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                >> I would not think that Radiohead would be Bob's cup of tea, but he
                >> might surprise me. I agree that the vocalist would probably be the
                >> downfall for him though.
                >
                > A friend of my wife gave us a "Modern Rock" compliation CD that
                > she didn't want any more, and it has the Radiohead song "Fake
                > Plastic Trees" (or some title like that) on it. Is that song
                > representative of his voice? Because I don't actually *like*
                > the singing, but it's oddly compelling in some way. The sort
                > of thing that sticks around in my head and makes me want to
                > howl along with it, despite not really liking it.

                Actually, that is one of Thom Yorke's more musical vocals!!

                > The other bit of Radiohead in my collection is a Mike Keneally
                > live recording where he covers the song "Paranoid Android" from
                > OK Computer. Which I realize isn't really a fair way to judge the
                > original, but when Mike sings it he puts on this really annoying
                > whiney falsetto voice - listening to the 30 second clip of the
                > song on Amazon makes it sound like Mike was pretty accurate.
                > Don't know if I could take a whole album of that.

                Try 'The Bends' first, it's still their best 'rock' album (I don't care what
                anyone says, it's miles better than the patchy 'OK Computer' ). Much as I
                like Radiohead, 'Kid A' is a parking lot full of whale vomit, and it's
                'follow up recorded at the same time' 'Amnesiac' was barely more palatable .
                I'm all for experimentation in music if it remains music, Kid A/Amnesiac
                didn't, it became a loosely assembled group of sounds

                Their most recent one 'Hail to The Thief' was a whole lot better, mind you.

                Cheers

                Andy
                np-Dredg - Catch Without Arms (A wonderful example of how good 'modern rock'
                can really be!)
              • jeffoaster
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:

                  > > downfall for him though.
                  >
                  > A friend of my wife gave us a "Modern Rock" compliation CD that
                  > she didn't want any more, and it has the Radiohead song "Fake
                  > Plastic Trees" (or some title like that) on it. Is that song
                  > representative of his voice? Because I don't actually *like*
                  > the singing, but it's oddly compelling in some way. The sort
                  > of thing that sticks around in my head and makes me want to
                  > howl along with it, despite not really liking it.

                  Fake Plastic Trees is on "The Bends," which was the album prior to OK
                  Computer, and thus more accessible. It appears that Radiohead is doing
                  a Coltrane and getting more and more out there with each album.

                  > The other bit of Radiohead in my collection is a Mike Keneally
                  > live recording where he covers the song "Paranoid Android" from
                  > OK Computer. Which I realize isn't really a fair way to judge the
                  > original, but when Mike sings it he puts on this really annoying
                  > whiney falsetto voice - listening to the 30 second clip of the
                  > song on Amazon makes it sound like Mike was pretty accurate.
                  > Don't know if I could take a whole album of that.

                  Whiny is a pretty fair description, although it is oddly compelling as
                  you had mentioned. Since three people on this list have recommended
                  Kid A, I'd seek that one out. It's my personal favorite by them, and
                  if my Eichlerizer is working properly, I think that you'd probably
                  like it (but not love it), consider it a good example of a rock band
                  that is not afraid to experiment and show some progressive tendencies,
                  and you will find yourself wanting to give it some repeated spins,
                  especially the track "The National Anthem."

                  - Jeff, who reads Ground and Sky quite frequently

                  NW: CNN, freaking terrorists