Re: [ProgAndOther] Live albums, part 1

  • mprete1@nyc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
      > After Crying, Live-Struggle For Life - I think this band is
      > a little overrated. They're certainly not bad, but people
      > rave about them and I just think they're an average symphonic
      > prog band, with a tendency to get really derivative of King
      > Crimson and ELP. At least they make no secret of their
      > influences, covering Crimson's "Starless" (with John Wetton
      > on vocals, no less) and titling another track "Arrival of
      > the Manticore". I bought this CD when I saw them at Orion
      > Studios, mostly because it has a track called "Hommage a
      > Frank Zappa". The show was entertaining, but listening to
      > this live album isn't as much fun. It's over two hours long,
      > and about half-way through each disc I find myself wondering
      > if it's soon over. I liked their NEARFest appearance even
      > less, and that pretty much ended my interest in this band.

      I think their one essential album is their second, Megalazottak Es Megszomoritottak. While there's some good stuff on those earlier albums, I could really live with out them. Of course, MeM is much different from the rest, being almost purely orchestral.

      WRT to the live album, I'm of a similar mindset, although I found it rather painful to sit all the way through. And the NF set was just atrocious.

      - Mike
    • Don Arnold
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
        --- biceeichler <eichler@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Live at the Royal Albert Hall
        This CD was the first place I heard "Pirates", and
        that put the Works albums (which I like more than most
        people seem to) high on my to-buy list.

        I've always liked the first Works album alot.
        Emerson's concerto is an excellent stab at writing and
        playing classical music, which I'd like to see more of
        in the world of Prog. A couple of Lake's ballad's,
        although high in saccarin (sp?), I still enjoy hearing
        - C'est La Vie and Closer to Believing I think are the
        two I'm thinking of. And Fanfare and Pirates are both
        good pieces of music.

        Don Arnold

        test'; ">

        test'; ">

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
          Bob wrote:

          >>After Crying, Live-Struggle For Life<<

          I have always had mixed feelings on this band.  I have this album along with a few of their studio discs.  There are parts of all of them that I really like and parts that I find rather dull.  I really do not care for the vocal stuff much at all.  "Struggle For Life" has it's moments, but I think it might have been a better overall album if they had condensed it down to one disc.

          >>Djam Karet, Live at Orion<<

          I like this one a lot.  A nice mix of their various styles

          >>Finisterre, Live at ProgDay '97<<

          To this day it remains one of the best all time performances at Progday.  It has a lot of nostalgia value for me too since it was the very first Progday that I attended.  Little did I know then that 8 years later I would be running the thing.  I have never been a huge fan of their studio stuff, but that particular performance was one of those magical moments that only happen rarely in a live situation.

          >>Dire Straits, Live at the BBC<<

          I don't have this one, but I have always thought that their "Live Alchemy" album was vastly underrated.  Great stuff, and even has some proggy moments.  The live version of "Telegraph Road" is killer.  Telegraph Road is an actual road in Detroit, and I have driven on it several times.

          >>Dream Theater, Live at the Marquee<<

          Although I agree that Labrie is at his most annoying on this record, I still say he has come a long way since then.  The overall performance of both Labrie and the band on "Live In New York" from a few years ago blows both the "Live At The Marquee" and "Once In A Live Time" away.

          >>Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Live at the Royal Albert Hall<<

          I saw this tour and like this album a lot.  I think it plays to the bands strengths and since I thought Black Moon was a strong album, I don't mind the inclusion of tracks from it on the disc.

          >>Kansas, Live at the Whiskey<<

          Walsh has since stated that he is embarrassed by his vocal performance on this album.  It was at the height of his cocaine abuse days and it shows.  On the other hand the music on this disc is smokin Kansas at their best.  David Ragsdale really shines on both violin and guitar on this one and the rest of the band kicks ass as well.

          Steve Sly
          Progday XI
          (NP - Le Orme - Felona E Sorona)
        • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2005
            My favorite live album happens to be a Pink Floyd bootleg of a show i was at- Animal Instincts and Mr Pig, both discs from the same show 5/9/77 Oakland, California.

            Russell