Slade, KYHOMPS

  • Landgraf, Virginia
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1998
      Bice wrote:

      >First cassette: Slade - Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply. And I
      >still like it. Now you know my secret shame. ;-)

      I like that one too, though I admit I haven't heard it in a while because
      it's one of the vinyl "prisoners" in my parents' basement awaiting my being
      able to afford a turntable. Shame? Well, maybe if I examined the lyrics
      there might be some innuendo I disagreed with from a theological-ethical
      perspective, but probably less so than some of the UFO albums I still listen
      to . . . go ahead and play it loud! It's a fun album! Weren't we all
      trying to be non-snobs here?

      Classical snob: doesn't like that album because it's rock.
      Folk snob: doesn't like that album because it uses electric instruments.
      Blues snob: doesn't like that album because it includes some non-blues chord
      progressions.
      Big Country snob: doesn't like that album because "Run Run Away" sounds as
      if it ripped off Big Country (this was a comment I actually heard at the
      time).
      Live performance standards snob: doesn't like that album because Slade
      lip-synched a promotional appearance while one of the members was ill (I
      remember hearing about this too).
      Quiet Riot snob: doesn't like that album because it might not have received
      as much attention had Quiet Riot not had hits with old Slade songs.
      Prog snob (we know all about that one, so I won't go into it).

      Bice, I can imagine you complaining about live performance standards, but
      not about any of the others . . . or is there something shameful about the
      album that I don't remember?

      Ginny
    • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 1998
        "Landgraf, Virginia" <virginia.landgraf@...> wrote:

        >Bice wrote:
        >
        >>First cassette: Slade - Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply. And I
        >>still like it. Now you know my secret shame. ;-)
        >
        >I like that one too, though I admit I haven't heard it in a while because
        >it's one of the vinyl "prisoners" in my parents' basement awaiting my being
        >able to afford a turntable. Shame? Well, maybe if I examined the lyrics
        >there might be some innuendo I disagreed with from a theological-ethical
        >perspective, but probably less so than some of the UFO albums I still listen
        >to . . . go ahead and play it loud! It's a fun album! Weren't we all
        >trying to be non-snobs here?

        [snip]

        >Big Country snob: doesn't like that album because "Run Run Away" sounds as
        >if it ripped off Big Country (this was a comment I actually heard at the
        >time).
        >Live performance standards snob: doesn't like that album because Slade
        >lip-synched a promotional appearance while one of the members was ill (I
        >remember hearing about this too).
        >Quiet Riot snob: doesn't like that album because it might not have received
        >as much attention had Quiet Riot not had hits with old Slade songs.
        >Prog snob (we know all about that one, so I won't go into it).

        My little sister actually thought Slade was ripping Quiet Riot off.
        But then she also thought that whoever originally did "Bang a Gong"
        was ripping Power Station off. ;-)

        >Bice, I can imagine you complaining about live performance standards, but
        >not about any of the others . . . or is there something shameful about the
        >album that I don't remember?

        No, not at all. I was just speaking tongue-in-cheek from a prog-snob's
        perspective. You're right - it is a fun little pop/rock album. But I
        think most of my appreciation for the album is due to nostalgic reasons.
        If I heard it for the first time today, there's not much chance I'd buy
        the album. But on the other hand, I still really enjoy the drums on
        "Run Run Away", and the way "Slam the Hammer Down" shifts into "In The
        Doghouse", and the racing theme of "Ready to Explode".

        Hmmmm, that last track is over eight minutes long, is split into four
        "movements", and tells a continuous story. I wonder if it qualifies
        as prog? ;-)

        BTW, what does the "KYHOMPS" in the subject mean?