Re: [ProgAndOther] Spock's Beard - Octane

  • Greg Hall
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2005
      I second Steve's comments.  I bought Octane with very low expectations, but have found it's growing into a personal favorite.  I can't seem to get it out of my CD player.

      Greg

      NP:  Hidria Spacefolk - Live at 11 AM

      stevesly@... wrote:
      I finally picked this album up last week, and I am really liking it a lot.  I think it is a big improvement over "Feel Euphoria" and really ranks right up with the best stuff I have bought in the past year.  If you were a Spock's fan who was disappointed by "Feel Euphoria" and gave up on them, you should really give "Octane" a shot.  It is a very good solid album IMO.

      Steve Sly
      (NP - UFO - You Are Here)

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Scott Storey
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2005
        Re: [ProgAndOther] Spock's Beard - Octane I wish that I could second them. Granted, I’ve only listened to it one time, but I found myself just waiting for it to be over. I may eat those words later, I did when I dissed the last Gabriel album (Steve may remember that). It just seems to me that they’ve lost any connection to prog and are just a rock band now (not necessarily a bad thing given today’s rock environment). Unless there’s a great improvement over the next couple of listens, I’ve given up on these guys. I think I’d be more interested in the Hydria Spacefolk that Greg’s listening to.

        -sds
        -np – los lobos – the ride (MUCH better than Octane)

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2005
          DB,

          As I mentioned, I warmed to Octane.  After about 2 or 3 listens I found melodies stuck in my head.  I agree that it is not like a lot of what we call prog these days.  My sister told me it sounded like Pink Floyd to her (I don't hear it, but that's her ears).  I do agree that it's more rock than prog, but there are enough interesting bits to set it apart from mainstream rock.

          Greg

          NP:  Camel - A Nod and A Wink

          Scott Storey <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:
          I wish that I could second them. Granted, I�ve only listened to it one time, but I found myself just waiting for it to be over. I may eat those words later, I did when I dissed the last Gabriel album (Steve may remember that). It just seems to me that they�ve lost any connection to prog and are just a rock band now (not necessarily a bad thing given today�s rock environment). Unless there�s a great improvement over the next couple of listens, I�ve given up on these guys. I think I�d be more interested in the Hydria Spacefolk that Greg�s listening to.

          -sds
          -np � los lobos � the ride (MUCH better than Octane)

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Don Arnold
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 10, 2005
            I've had Octane for a week now and about a half dozen
            spins. It's funny because on one hand I have an
            inkling in me that says it's okay, even pretty good,
            but nothing to make a top 10 list. But...I keep
            wanting to play the thing!

            I particularly like "Flash", NWC and The Planet's Hum
            (hmmm..the more proggy pieces). The others are more
            straight ahead rock which, while decent stuff, is
            nothing special in my opinion.

            Don Arnold

            --- stevesly@... wrote:
            > I finally picked this album up last week, and I am
            > really liking it a lot. I
            > think it is a big improvement over "Feel Euphoria"
            > and really ranks right up
            > with the best stuff I have bought in the past year.
            > If you were a Spock's fan
            > who was disappointed by "Feel Euphoria" and gave up
            > on them, you should
            > really give "Octane" a shot. It is a very good
            > solid album IMO.
            >
            > Steve Sly
            > (NP - UFO - You Are Here)

            test'; ">