Re: the new Mars Volta tues

  • progjeff2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, tommy a <phallicmonk@g...> wrote:
      > highly overrated
      >
      > if someone burns it for you, cool, otherwise i wouldnt part with the
      cash

      > tommy

      Damn Tommy, those are fighting' words.

      Hell, at that price, I may pick up an extra copy or two to give to
      friends.

      - Jeff
    • tommy a
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
        haha, sorry

        maybe it was the hype, but it left me pretty cold

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
          I stopped by Circuit City on the way home from work last night
          and sure enough, they had "Frances the Mute" for $5.99. I couldn't
          pass up that price, so I bought it. I've given it two listens so
          far (although the first listen was in a noisy bar, so it wasn't
          under the best of circumstances).

          Anyway, the first 4 or 5 minutes of the disc had me thinking
          "Oh no, I just blew six bucks on a modernized Echolyn". I'm
          not much of an Echolyn fan, and the opening of the album sounds
          like a dead ringer for "As the World" to me.

          Fortunately the Echolyn similarities are intermittant, and the
          majority of the album sounds like a post-rock version of early
          Pink Floyd. Heck, they even got Storm Thorgerson to do a very
          Floydish album cover, so they're just begging for the comparison.

          Whoever predicted that I wouldn't like the singer (Jeff?) knows
          my tastes pretty well. He's tolerable but I much prefer the
          parts where he shuts up.

          Overall I'm pretty happy with it, especially for six bucks. The
          second listen definitely sounded better than the first, so it
          may be an album that'll grow on me.

          Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the tracks? There
          are 12 tracks on the CD, and only five songs listed on the back
          of the case. Three of those songs are split into sections, but
          if you count all the individual sections, there should be 15 tracks.

          I tried to match lyrics in the booklet to what is sung on the disc,
          and it appears that track one is all of "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus"
          (even though it lists multiple sections), track two is all of "The
          Widow", track three is all of "L'Via L'Viaquez", track four is all
          of "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore" (even though it has
          multiple sections), and then tracks 5-12 are "Cassandra Geminni",
          even though it's listed as only having five sections.

          The tray card under the CD lists another track called "Frances the
          Mute" with three sections, which could account for the extra three
          tracks, but the lyrics that are printed for that song don't seem
          to appear anywhere on the album. And the final section of "Cassandra
          Geminni" is the same music as the first section of "Cygnus", and
          they're both listed with the same section title ("Sarcophagi") on
          the back of the CD case. So unless "Frances the Mute" falls
          somewhere in the middle of "Cassandra"...

          I know it's a stupid thing to get hung up on, but it bugs me...

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
            Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

            On my copy of "Frances", track nine sounds like it's skipping
            (making that kind of metallic "clicking" noise that CDs make
            when they're not tracking quite right). I've tried it on two
            different CD players and both had the same problem.

            Is it supposed to sound like that? Does anyone else have that
            problem? If not, I should probably return the disc and get a
            replacement. That track is one of the most "Floydish" sounding
            bits of the album, so I'd like to hear it without the skipping.

            -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
          • Greg Hall
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
              Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last night, but found that my local Circuit City is out of business.  Fortunately, there was a Best Buy just down the road selling it for $6.99.

              I can see why a lot of people would like this CD.  It is very fresh sounding and is unlike anything I've heard before.  In my eyes, it is clearly progressive rock even though MV is labeled as an Alternative band.  Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has a somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of some great instrumental work.  Let's hope that the singer becomes less grating once I get used to him, because there is an awful lot to like.

              Greg

              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hall
                <motorcityprogger@y...> wrote:

                > Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last
                > night, but found that my local Circuit City is out of business.

                Maybe from selling too many CDs for only $5.99. ;-)

                > Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has
                > a somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of
                > some great instrumental work.

                That's a pretty good description of the singer. I had the same
                reaction.

                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              • barnestoneworth
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last night, but
                  found that my local Circuit City is out of business. Fortunately, there was
                  a Best Buy just down the road selling it for $6.99.

                  I can see why a lot of people would like this CD. It is very fresh sounding
                  and is unlike anything I've heard before. In my eyes, it is clearly
                  progressive rock even though MV is labeled as an Alternative band.
                  Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has a
                  somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of some great
                  instrumental work. Let's hope that the singer becomes less grating once I
                  get used to him, because there is an awful lot to like.

                  Greg

                  Hey Greg,

                  It was the vocals that initially put me off their first album-I disliked
                  them so much I couldn't even begin to digest anything else that was going
                  on. I played it the once, and thought it would never darken my CD player
                  again..Then I kept hearing about how good an albnum it was from people whose
                  opinions I know and trust and gave it another chance, and it absolutely
                  floored me... I even got to enjoy the vocals too-ok, he overdoes the
                  sreaming a bit at times, but it all seems to fit-Sounds like Robert Plant on
                  helium to me when he goes off on one!! I've had this new one is rather
                  crappy mp3 format since Christmas and absolutely love it to bits-not got the
                  official release yet, but it's on order.

                  Cheers

                  Andy

                • Greg Hall
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "barnestoneworth"
                    <sub.surface@n...> wrote:

> [...]

                    Thanks Andy. I'll make sure I give it a good chance.

                    Greg
                  • tommy a
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                      but its not fresh, i dont see why people say this

                      its typical "crazy" indie guitar stuff blended with typical prog elements

                      annoying at its best

                    • andkat95@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...>
                        wrote:

                        > Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the tracks? There
                        > are 12 tracks on the CD, and only five songs listed on the back
                        > of the case. Three of those songs are split into sections, but
                        > if you count all the individual sections, there should be 15
                        tracks.

                        This is just a guess, but since TMV have a surreal approach to
                        music, thus the cryptic song titles/dense nonsense lyrics/enigmatic
                        art work...etc. So it seems appropriate that the tracks listed don't
                        match what's actually on the CD. Maybe they did it to drive prog
                        heads mad!

                        Andre'
                      • grwessel
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                          wrote:

                          ... and then tracks 5-12 are "Cassandra Geminni",
                          > even though it's listed as only having five sections.

                          This appears to be correct. Tracks 5-6 are part A, tracks 7-8 are
                          part B, tracks 9-10 are part C, and tracks 11 and 12 are parts D and
                          E. That's how it came up when I played it on my computer using Real
                          player, and it seems to match the lyrics, like you said.

                          Btw, I also hear the clicking sound, starting around 3 min's into
                          track 9, continuing on and off for the remaining 2 min's. So, I'm
                          guessing that's how all of them are.

                          Gerhard
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "grwessel" <wesselg@e...> wrote:

                            > Btw, I also hear the clicking sound, starting around 3 min's into
                            > track 9, continuing on and off for the remaining 2 min's. So, I'm
                            > guessing that's how all of them are.

                            Thanks. Guess I'll just keep the copy I have then.