Re: [ProgAndOther] the new Mars Volta tues

  • rich mueller
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2005
      Wow, you have an advance copy? That bad huh? For six bucks if it's half
      as good as De-loused it will be worth it.

      rich

      On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:54:52 -0600 tommy a <phallicmonk@...>
      writes:

      > highly overrated
      >
      > if someone burns it for you, cool, otherwise i wouldnt part with the
      > cash
      >

      > tommy
      >
      > http://www.yetimuzik.com
      >

      > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:25:36 -0500 (EST), Adam Levin
      > <alevin@...> wrote:
      > > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, rich mueller wrote:
      > >

      > > > The new Mars Volta cd Frances The Mute is released this tuesday
      > and Best
      > > > Buy stores have it advertised for $6.99. Hell, thats less than
      > a Big Mac,
      > > > some cheese fries and a blueberry Slurpee, for anyone on the
      > fence about
      > > > trying these guys, this is your chance. I'm there dude
      > >
      > > Believe it or not, it's a dollar cheaper at Circuit City.
      > >
      > > -Adam
      > >
      > > ----
      > > T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
      > > http://www.darkaether.net/
      > >
      > > "Fusing jazz-inflected soundscapes, dark imagery, innovative tape
      > loops,
      > > symphonic rock textures and psychedelic experimentation, Dark
      > Aether
      > > Project
      > > explore the furthest realms of progressive rock." - Allmusic
      > Guide
      > >
      > > ** The latest CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available
      > from:
      > > Amazon.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com -
      > MandMMusic.com
      > > OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - TowerRecords.com -
      > WaysideMusic.com
      > >

      > > ---
      > > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
      > > To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > Service.

      > --------------------~-->
      > What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
      > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/rKxVKC/SOnJAA/n1hLAA/jGKolB/TM

    • progjeff2000
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, tommy a <phallicmonk@g...> wrote:
        > highly overrated
        >
        > if someone burns it for you, cool, otherwise i wouldnt part with the
        cash

        > tommy

        Damn Tommy, those are fighting' words.

        Hell, at that price, I may pick up an extra copy or two to give to
        friends.

        - Jeff
      • tommy a
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
          haha, sorry

          maybe it was the hype, but it left me pretty cold

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
            I stopped by Circuit City on the way home from work last night
            and sure enough, they had "Frances the Mute" for $5.99. I couldn't
            pass up that price, so I bought it. I've given it two listens so
            far (although the first listen was in a noisy bar, so it wasn't
            under the best of circumstances).

            Anyway, the first 4 or 5 minutes of the disc had me thinking
            "Oh no, I just blew six bucks on a modernized Echolyn". I'm
            not much of an Echolyn fan, and the opening of the album sounds
            like a dead ringer for "As the World" to me.

            Fortunately the Echolyn similarities are intermittant, and the
            majority of the album sounds like a post-rock version of early
            Pink Floyd. Heck, they even got Storm Thorgerson to do a very
            Floydish album cover, so they're just begging for the comparison.

            Whoever predicted that I wouldn't like the singer (Jeff?) knows
            my tastes pretty well. He's tolerable but I much prefer the
            parts where he shuts up.

            Overall I'm pretty happy with it, especially for six bucks. The
            second listen definitely sounded better than the first, so it
            may be an album that'll grow on me.

            Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the tracks? There
            are 12 tracks on the CD, and only five songs listed on the back
            of the case. Three of those songs are split into sections, but
            if you count all the individual sections, there should be 15 tracks.

            I tried to match lyrics in the booklet to what is sung on the disc,
            and it appears that track one is all of "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus"
            (even though it lists multiple sections), track two is all of "The
            Widow", track three is all of "L'Via L'Viaquez", track four is all
            of "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore" (even though it has
            multiple sections), and then tracks 5-12 are "Cassandra Geminni",
            even though it's listed as only having five sections.

            The tray card under the CD lists another track called "Frances the
            Mute" with three sections, which could account for the extra three
            tracks, but the lyrics that are printed for that song don't seem
            to appear anywhere on the album. And the final section of "Cassandra
            Geminni" is the same music as the first section of "Cygnus", and
            they're both listed with the same section title ("Sarcophagi") on
            the back of the CD case. So unless "Frances the Mute" falls
            somewhere in the middle of "Cassandra"...

            I know it's a stupid thing to get hung up on, but it bugs me...

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
              Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

              On my copy of "Frances", track nine sounds like it's skipping
              (making that kind of metallic "clicking" noise that CDs make
              when they're not tracking quite right). I've tried it on two
              different CD players and both had the same problem.

              Is it supposed to sound like that? Does anyone else have that
              problem? If not, I should probably return the disc and get a
              replacement. That track is one of the most "Floydish" sounding
              bits of the album, so I'd like to hear it without the skipping.

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
            • Greg Hall
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last night, but found that my local Circuit City is out of business.  Fortunately, there was a Best Buy just down the road selling it for $6.99.

                I can see why a lot of people would like this CD.  It is very fresh sounding and is unlike anything I've heard before.  In my eyes, it is clearly progressive rock even though MV is labeled as an Alternative band.  Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has a somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of some great instrumental work.  Let's hope that the singer becomes less grating once I get used to him, because there is an awful lot to like.

                Greg

                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hall
                  <motorcityprogger@y...> wrote:

                  > Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last
                  > night, but found that my local Circuit City is out of business.

                  Maybe from selling too many CDs for only $5.99. ;-)

                  > Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has
                  > a somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of
                  > some great instrumental work.

                  That's a pretty good description of the singer. I had the same
                  reaction.

                  -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                • barnestoneworth
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                    From: Greg Hall

                    Like Bob, I dropped by Circuit City on my way home from work last night, but
                    found that my local Circuit City is out of business. Fortunately, there was
                    a Best Buy just down the road selling it for $6.99.

                    I can see why a lot of people would like this CD. It is very fresh sounding
                    and is unlike anything I've heard before. In my eyes, it is clearly
                    progressive rock even though MV is labeled as an Alternative band.
                    Unfortunately, I have a very hard time digesting the singer who has a
                    somewhat whiney voice and likes to wail, moan, and weap on top of some great
                    instrumental work. Let's hope that the singer becomes less grating once I
                    get used to him, because there is an awful lot to like.

                    Greg

                    Hey Greg,

                    It was the vocals that initially put me off their first album-I disliked
                    them so much I couldn't even begin to digest anything else that was going
                    on. I played it the once, and thought it would never darken my CD player
                    again..Then I kept hearing about how good an albnum it was from people whose
                    opinions I know and trust and gave it another chance, and it absolutely
                    floored me... I even got to enjoy the vocals too-ok, he overdoes the
                    sreaming a bit at times, but it all seems to fit-Sounds like Robert Plant on
                    helium to me when he goes off on one!! I've had this new one is rather
                    crappy mp3 format since Christmas and absolutely love it to bits-not got the
                    official release yet, but it's on order.

                    Cheers

                    Andy

                  • Greg Hall
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "barnestoneworth"
                      <sub.surface@n...> wrote:

> [...]

                      Thanks Andy. I'll make sure I give it a good chance.

                      Greg
                    • tommy a
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                        but its not fresh, i dont see why people say this

                        its typical "crazy" indie guitar stuff blended with typical prog elements

                        annoying at its best

                      • andkat95@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...>
                          wrote:

                          > Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the tracks? There
                          > are 12 tracks on the CD, and only five songs listed on the back
                          > of the case. Three of those songs are split into sections, but
                          > if you count all the individual sections, there should be 15
                          tracks.

                          This is just a guess, but since TMV have a surreal approach to
                          music, thus the cryptic song titles/dense nonsense lyrics/enigmatic
                          art work...etc. So it seems appropriate that the tracks listed don't
                          match what's actually on the CD. Maybe they did it to drive prog
                          heads mad!

                          Andre'
                        • grwessel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                            wrote:

                            ... and then tracks 5-12 are "Cassandra Geminni",
                            > even though it's listed as only having five sections.

                            This appears to be correct. Tracks 5-6 are part A, tracks 7-8 are
                            part B, tracks 9-10 are part C, and tracks 11 and 12 are parts D and
                            E. That's how it came up when I played it on my computer using Real
                            player, and it seems to match the lyrics, like you said.

                            Btw, I also hear the clicking sound, starting around 3 min's into
                            track 9, continuing on and off for the remaining 2 min's. So, I'm
                            guessing that's how all of them are.

                            Gerhard
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "grwessel" <wesselg@e...> wrote:

                              > Btw, I also hear the clicking sound, starting around 3 min's into
                              > track 9, continuing on and off for the remaining 2 min's. So, I'm
                              > guessing that's how all of them are.

                              Thanks. Guess I'll just keep the copy I have then.