Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Head East

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2005
      Kevin wrote:

      >>Did they ever have anything that anybody really knows besides just
      "Never Been Any Reason?" (though that's still a cool song)<<

      The only other song of theirs that I ever remember hearing on the radio was their cover of "Since You've Been Gone" which was also somewhat of a hit for them.  Head East got to a point where they were pretty popular here in the Midwest, but I am not sure about the rest of the country.  The live album was their high water mark IMO.  The original lead vocalist went on to have quite a bit of success with the Christian rock band Petra.  There is still a version of the band out there lead by keyboardist Roger Boyd that plays occasional club dates in the Midwest.

      >> And Foghat
      played stadiums? Are you sure you don't just mean an arena?<<

      I should have said arena, which is where I saw Head East open for them, although Foghat did play several festival dates in football stadiums back in their heyday.  The origional album cover of "Foghat Live" is a shot of them playing in front of a packed football stadium.  They got pretty big around the time of the "Fool For The City" album, although the big time success was rather short lived.

       >>I just know
      sometimes people get the two confused. I saw Foghat (didn't the singer
      die in recent years) about ten years ago (my buddy won tix off a radio
      station) or so in a club here. They were pretty good. Hope everybody has
      a nice weekend.<<

      Foghat has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.  I've probably seen them a dozen times over the years, and for some reason their brand of rock n roll has always clicked with me.  "Foghat Live" is another great live album IMO, and I also have a lot of their studio stuff.  Yes, vocalist Lonesome Dave Peveret died of cancer a few years ago unfortunately.  He was replaced by Charlie Huhn who used to sing with Ted Nugent.  I am not sure of the current status of the band though.

      Steve Sly
      (NP - Aerosmith - Honkin On Bobo)
    • barnestoneworth
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2005
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
          Was Dave Peveret the original singer for Foghat? I know band members for
          most major bands but that's one band I couldn't even tell you one
          member. lol From them I just know "Slow Ride," (one of THE most
          overplayed songs ever on the radio!) "Fool For the City" & one other
          that escapes me at the moment; but it might be a cover.

          So I guess Head East was kind of a big hit then in the midwest kind of
          like Shooting Star. They had a few radio tunes too but don't know if
          they were ever hits either. So the original singer for HE was in the
          Christian band Petra? That's kind of interesting. Didn't they have a
          female singer too? (or at least in "Never Been Any Reason" anyway) Never
          heard 'Since You've Been Gone" before, unless it was the Rainbow cover.
          The Outfield did a song of the same name but sure that wasn't it either.
          (& The Cars had "Since You're Gone" lol) And was Flat As A Pancake their
          only studio album?
        • kdude420@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
            Sorry about just attaching the whole digest with my last message. lol I
            didn't even get a chance to proofread it & then I hit the wrong button.
            lol

            Kev
          • kdude420@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
              So what kind of venue is Chicago Stadium then if it's not really a
              "stadium?" lol
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                Kevin wrote:

                >>Was Dave Peveret the original singer for Foghat? <<

                Yes, Foghat was originally an off shoot from the English band Savoy Brown.  Peveret and at least one of the other Foghat guys were originally in Savoy Brown.

                >> I know band members for
                most major bands but that's one band I couldn't even tell you one
                member. <<

                I believe the originals were:

                Dave Peveret
                Rod Price
                Roger Earl
                Tony Stevens

                >>"Slow Ride," (one of THE most
                overplayed songs ever on the radio!) "Fool For the City" & one other
                that escapes me at the moment; but it might be a cover.<<

                Yes those are their two big classic hits.  "Slow Ride" is right up there next to "Freebird" and "Stairway To Heaven" as some of the most overplayed songs in the history of classic rock radio.  The cover you are thinking of is probably "I Just Want To Make Love To You" which was also a medium hit.  You may have also heard "Stone Blue" which was also made it into the top 40.  In addition they had a few minor hits that got some FM airplay like "Drivin Wheel", "Third Time Lucky", "Sweet Home Chicago", "Slipped Tripped Fell In Love", and "Live Now, Pay Later" (one of my theme songs back in the day :-).  For a prog lovin dude I obviously know way too much about Foghat :-)

                >>So I guess Head East was kind of a big hit then in the midwest kind of
                like Shooting Star. They had a few radio tunes too but don't know if
                they were ever hits either.<<

                Yea, that would be a good comparison or maybe similar to Michael Stanley band from Cleveland or even Bob Seger  pre-"Live Bullet".  All of these guys could play theaters and small hockey arenas in the Midwest, but played clubs in most of the rest of the country.  In the case of Seger, he could sell out multiple nights at Cobo Hall in Detroit, before anyone anywhere else even knew who he was.  Head East was never that big, but they did quite well for a while in certain areas of the country.

                >>So the original singer for HE was in the
                Christian band Petra? That's kind of interesting. Didn't they have a
                female singer too? (or at least in "Never Been Any Reason" anyway)<<

                The person singing "Never Been Any Reason" is a guy.  His name is John Schlit (I may have the last name spelled wrong) and was the original vocalist for Head East.  I always thought his voice sounded a little bit like Geddy Lee from Rush.  I guess he was a pretty heavy partier so at one point he cleaned up his act, became a Christian, left Head East and joined Petra.  I don't know if he is Petra's original vocalist or not though, but he is still with them today.

                >>Never
                heard 'Since You've Been Gone" before, unless it was the Rainbow cover.<<

                It is the same song, but Head East did a version of it several years before Rainbow came out with theirs.  I am not sure who originally wrote it.

                >>And was Flat As A Pancake their
                only studio album?<<

                No, I believe they had 7 or 8 studio albums altogether along with the live disc and some compilations that have come out after the fact.

                Steve Sly
                (NP - Aeryon - The Human Equation)

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                  >>So what kind of venue is Chicago Stadium then if it's not really a
                  "stadium?" lol<<

                  Andy's post had me scratching my head too.  I'm not sure what he was talking about.

                  Steve Sly
                  (NP - Aerosmith - Honkin On Bobo)
                • Steven
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                    Wasn't "Godzilla" Foghat?

                    Steven
                    --- stevesly@... wrote:

> [...]
                    > Head East. I always thought his voice sounded a
                    > little bit like Geddy Lee from
                    > Rush. I guess he was a pretty heavy partier so at
                    > one point he cleaned up his
                    > act, became a Christian, left Head East and joined
                    > Petra. I don't know if he
                    > is Petra's original vocalist or not though, but he
                    > is still with them today.
                    >
                    > >>Never
                    > heard 'Since You've Been Gone" before, unless it was
                    > the Rainbow cover.<<
                    >
                    > It is the same song, but Head East did a version of
                    > it several years before
                    > Rainbow came out with theirs. I am not sure who
                    > originally wrote it.
                    >
                    > >>And was Flat As A Pancake their
                    > only studio album?<<
                    >
                    > No, I believe they had 7 or 8 studio albums
                    > altogether along with the live
                    > disc and some compilations that have come out after

                    =====

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • barnestoneworth
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                      >>So what kind of venue is Chicago Stadium then if it's not really a
                      "stadium?" lol<<

                      Andy's post had me scratching my head too. I'm not sure what he was talking
                      about.

                      Easy -Chicago Stadium is (or maybe was,I think it might be pulled down now)
                      an Arena, not a stadium

                      Then there is the Bayer Arena-where Bayer Leverkusen play in Germany, which
                      is a stadium..

                      ..confused?? You should be!!

                      Andy

                    • kdude420@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                        Actually BOC (Blue Oyster Cult) did "Godzilla" rather. I heard Sebastian
                        Bach do a great cover of it live once. (& BOC themselves too lol)

                        Kev

                        N.P. Styx "Captain America"
                      • Jerry Keller
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005

                          The Chicago Stadium is where the Blackhawks and Bulls used to play before the United Center was built.

                          It was an arena but it was called the Chicago Stadium.

                          Jerry

                          >>So what kind of venue is Chicago Stadium then if it's not really a
                          "stadium?" lol<<

                          Andy's post had me scratching my head too.  I'm not sure what he was talking about.

                          Steve Sly

                          (NP - Aerosmith - Honkin On Bobo)

                          ---
                          The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
                          To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                            In a message dated 2/5/2005 6:24:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, slawlesss@... writes:
                            >>Wasn't "Godzilla" Foghat?

                            No, Godzilla was Blue Oyster Cult from the "Spectres" album.

                            Steve Sly
                            (NP - Aerosmith - Honkin On Bobo)
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 5, 2005
                              Jerry wrte:

                              >>The Chicago Stadium is where the Blackhawks and Bulls used to play before the United Center was built.

                              It was an arena but it was called the Chicago Stadium.<<

                              Ahh.........ok now it all makes sense.  I guess I should have known that considering I live only 2 hours from there, but I was not aware of it.

                              Steve Sly

                              (NP - Aerosmith - Honkin On Bobo)

                            • barnestoneworth
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 6, 2005
                                >>The Chicago Stadium is where the Blackhawks and Bulls used to play before
                                >>the United Center was built.
                                It was an arena but it was called the Chicago Stadium.<<

                                Ahh.........ok now it all makes sense. I guess I should have known that
                                considering I live only 2 hours from there, but I was not aware of it.

                                S'ok, I didn't know we had an 'executive massage parlour' at the top of our
                                road until it got busted by the police!!

                                :-)

                                Cheers

                                Andy

                                np-Kamelot - The Black Halo