More Prog up on Ebay..

  • Alan J. Mallery
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2004
      Just in time for the holidays! ;)

      http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=zeprogmeister

      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Don Arnold
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
        Greetings,

        I've read a number of glowing reviews for the latest
        CD by Nightwish (Once). I listened to one of their
        samples provided on their website and it sounded
        great. The female vocalist has a quality voice. I
        didn't hear the male vocals which I have read are on
        the gruffer side.

        From those that have heard this recording, just how
        gruff is the male vocalist? I can tolerate some
        gruffness in my prog-metal when it's coming from good
        quality pipes (such as Symphony X), but when they lean
        towards the growling side (such as After Forever) it's
        just a bit much for my listening tastes and enjoyment.

        Thanks for your opinions!

        Don Arnold

        NP Frogg Cafe: Creatures (good stuff!)

        =====

        test'; ">

        test'; ">

      • Doug DeHaan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
          The male vocals on this disc are very sparse and are
          not of the "cookie monster" variety. IMO this is one
          of their best.

          Another good one, if you like female vocalists, is the
          new Within Temptation: "The Silent Force." She doesn't
          sound as if she is auditioning for the opera quite as
          much as the Nightwish vocalist.

          Doug

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • stevesly@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
            <<NP Frogg Cafe: Creatures (good stuff!)<<

            Yea, it is a really good album isn't it. A great mix of different styles. I like the long epic that closes the album the best, but the rest of the disc is solid as well. I am looking forward to seeing them at NEARfest.

            Steve Sly
            (NP - Transatlantic - Live In Europe)
          • jerry950@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
              i like creatures as well but i find myself coming back to the s/t cd more often.
              jerry

              > < >
              > Yea, it is a really good album isn't it. A great mix of different styles. I
              > like the long epic that closes the album the best, but the rest of the disc is
              > solid as well. I am looking forward to seeing them at NEARfest.
              >
              > Steve Sly
              > (NP - Transatlantic - Live In Europe)

              > Create your own customized LAUNCHcast Internet Radio station.
              > Rate your favorite Artists, Albums, and Songs. Skip songs. Click here!
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/7itK7D/xA5HAA/n1hLAA/jGKolB/TM

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Don Arnold
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
                Hi all,

                For any of you who are not aware, Spock's Beard's
                newest "Octane" is supposed to be coming out in
                January. Here's a link to their website where they
                have a couple samples. They sound great. Very
                Beard-like. I liked FE a lot so am looking forward to
                this one.

                http://www.spocksbeard.com/

                cheers,

                Don Arnold

                =====

                test'; ">

                test'; ">

              • Jerry Keller
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
                  I can't say I share your enthusiasm for feel euphoria.
                  I AM hoping they come up with a good one this time.
                  It would be good if both the beard and neal were putting out good stuff.
                  jerry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
                    Jerry,
                    My thoughts exactly.
                    Pete

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
                      Jerry wrote:

                      >>I can't say I share your enthusiasm for feel euphoria.
                      I AM hoping they come up with a good one this time.
                      It would be good if both the beard and neal were putting out good stuff.<<

                      "Feel Euphoria" really grew on me over time. The first few times I listened to it, I was not that impressed, but I put it away for a while and then got it back out and it just clicked. I am looking forward to the new one.

                      Steve Sly
                      (NP - Farpoint - From Dreaming To Dreaming)
                    • progjeff2000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Don Arnold <progmellotron@y...>
                        wrote:
                        Here's a link to their website where they
                        > have a couple samples. They sound great. Very
                        > Beard-like. I liked FE a lot so am looking forward to
                        > this one.

                        I dunno. I think that the Beard lost "Le Cri" some time ago.

                        - Jeff