Re: The Ds

  • T. J. Higgins
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
      bice wrote:
      > Quarkspace, Drop - I think the band is still offering this album as a
      > free download from their web site, so if you haven't heard it, go
      > grab it. Nice mix of space rock with popish-prog. The only misstep
      > is the lengthy stoned-hippy monolog about Kent State that makes the
      > first two thirds of "Blanket Hill" a hard listen (which is a shame,
      > because the rest of the track is great).

      Audacity is your friend.

      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

      T.J.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
        >>Mike Keneally, Dancing & Dancing With Myself - if you don't have it,
        you should. A nice mix of his poppier side, instrumentals and proggy
        songs. All with the "big band".<<

        Still my favorite Keneally disc. Shows both his instrumental prowess and his strong song writing skills.

        >>of
        U.K. I like "Rendezvous 6:02", but that's the only song that does
        anything for me.<<

        Over the years I don't think UK's stuff has aged all that well, but at the time they were one of the only prog things going on, which is why they went over so well.

        >>Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon - has anyone NOT heard this yet? A
        top 10 favorite.<<

        Still an all time classic.

        >>David Ragsdale, David and Goliath - I'll always have a special place
        for this album, as the reason I went to ProgDay '97 and thus got
        hooked, and it's a pretty good fusionish album, but not quite as
        great as I remembered it being.<<

        To me this still ranks as one of the great overlooked prog albums. I still think it is great and still wonder what could have been if Kansas would have let Ragsdale have more of a hand in the songwriting department.

        >>David Gilmour, David Gilmour - For years I liked "About Face" better,
        but now I prefer this one. A nice mix of the bluesy playing he's
        good at and the Floydish tracks you'd expect.<<

        Yea no doubt, great album.

        <<Neil Young, Decade (Hits) - hell of a good greatest hits package.<<

        Yes, a great compilation of his early stuff.

        >>ZZ Top, Deguello - I wonder why this one wasn't included in that "six
        pack" release that combined six of their early albums. Not their
        best album, but has some fun tracks.<<

        I remember this album coming out when I was working in radio years ago. There was quite a buzz about it, but I found it rather dull. I saw them on the "Deguello" tour right in the front row, but again they did not really blow me away and I have never seen them again.

        >>Mary Newsletter, del perduto coraggio - This is what I imagine Pink
        Floyd would have sounded like if the 60s version of the band had time-
        warped directly to 2000 and gotten their hands on all the electronic
        instruments and studio toys available. Very creative and
        interesting, if not always 100% successful at being great music.<<

        Yea, decent Italian prog. I remember enjoying their Progday performance, but have not heard anything about them since.

        >>Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder (live) - WHY WHY WHY has there
        never been a live Pink Floyd release from the early years, when they
        were worth listening to live? <<

        There is "Umaguma" in which the 2nd disc was all live and full of stuff from their first couple of albums. Personally "Delicate Sound" is one of my favorite live albums. It is recorded incredibly and the performances are all top notch IMO.

        >>Uriah Heep, Demons and Wizards - OK, it's cheesy as hell, but I
        bought this back in my teenage, Dungeons and Dragons playing days, <<

        Oh yea, old heap is cheesy as hell, but great nonetheless.

        >>Eagles, Desperado - another band that people love to bash, but dammit
        I like 'em. This is a good concept album about the old west. Well
        done country-flavored rock.<<

        I still love the Eagles. As songwriters the combination of Henley/Frey were incredible. Throw in Meisner, Walsh, and Schmit and you have a very formidable songwriting / performing unit.

        >>Doctor Nerve, Did Sprinting Die? - a "Wayside bargain bin" purchase.
        I still haven't really gotten a handle on this one. I like it, but
        even though I just listened to it a week or so ago, I don't remember
        much about it. Not as heavy and avant as I was expecting.<<

        I bought one Dr. Nerve album and it was just not my thing.

        >>Dire Straits, Dire Straits - another non-prog band that I've seen get
        bashed, but I love their early albums. Especially this one. "Sultans
        of Swing" is a great song.<<

        Yes, Dire Straits were great and even a bit proggy at times.

        >>AC/DC, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - dumb, high-energy fun. <<

        Exactly what makes AC/DC great!

        >>Electric Light Orchestra, Discovery - here's a guilty pleasure.<<

        This is where ELO really lost me. One of the worst albums in their catalog IMO.

        >>Soundscape, Discovery - it's better than Thorne's solo albums, but so
        is a blow to the head.<<

        I think the music on this disc is pretty decent, but the over the top vocal stuff really brought the album down.

        >>Boston, Don't Look Back - yeah, I like the ultra-AOR band Boston
        too. Well the first two albums anyway. The title track on this one
        is a classic, but you can tell the band was quickly running out of
        steam.<<

        Yup, not nearly as good as their debut (which was my favorite album back in the day), but still a decent effort.

        >>Billy Squier, Don't Say No - another dumb but fun 70s rock album.<<

        Ya know, I always liked Billy Squier. I saw him live twice and he was really a pretty decent guitarist.

        >>een Day, Dookie - dumb but fun 90s "punk" rock.<<

        I normally don't have anything to do with this kind of music, but Green Day is an exception. Whether or not they are true punk is open to debate, but these guys are very strong songwriters.

        >>s, Drama - ah, the oft-maligned Drama. No, it doesn't have Jon
        Anderson or Rick Wakeman on it. And you know what? It's a better
        album because of that. Certainly my favorite between Relayer and the
        YesWest years.<<

        I still say "Drama" is Chris Squire and Alan White's high water mark with Yes. They took control of the album and really shine on it. This is really a very good Yes disc.

        >>nsas, Drastic Measures - near the bottom of the Kansas barrel,
        missing Walsh's vocals and Steinhart's violin, and wishy-washy about
        whether it wants to be pop or hard-rock or prog-rock or Christian-
        rock. Amazingly enough, there are still a couple OK tracks on it<<

        I have pretty much the same feelings. One of my least favorite Kansas releases, but there are a few decent tunes on it.

        >>CheaTrick, Dream Police - another band that gets bashed in prog
        circles, but I like 'em. Low budget rock-n-roll at its best. <<

        Yup, another band that is carried by their songwriting. Great beatlesque hard/pop rock.

        >genesis, Duke - I always think that this album came before "And Then
        There Were Three", because to me it sounds more like the Genesis of
        old. Arguably their last "prog" album,<<

        The last great Genesis album IMO. Lots of great stuff on this one, and I agree it was proggier than "And Then There Were 3" which came first.

        Steve Sly
        (NP - Kansas - Somewhere To Elsewhere)
      • rich mueller
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
          On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:48:14 -0500 stevesly@... writes:

          > >>Mike Keneally, Dancing & Dancing With Myself - if you don't have
          > it,
          > you should. A nice mix of his poppier side, instrumentals and
          > proggy
          > songs. All with the "big band".<<
          >
          > Still my favorite Keneally disc. Shows both his instrumental
          > prowess and his strong song writing skills.

          I've been on a Keneally kick since Nfest, this one is definitely top of
          the heap but my personal fave is Wooden Smoke, funny thing is it didn't
          really grab me the first couple times around.

          > >>of
          > U.K. I like "Rendezvous 6:02", but that's the only song that does
          > anything for me.<<
          >
          > Over the years I don't think UK's stuff has aged all that well, but
          > at the time they were one of the only prog things going on, which is
          > why they went over so well.

          I have to admit, I like both UK albums almost equally but you could see
          early signs on Danger Money where Wetton was heading next that eventually
          became Asia. I still have a hard time with pretty much all of Asia, even
          Roger Dean's art work couldn't save it.

          > >>een Day, Dookie - dumb but fun 90s "punk" rock.<<
          >
          > I normally don't have anything to do with this kind of music, but
          > Green Day is an exception. Whether or not they are true punk is
          > open to debate, but these guys are very strong songwriters.

          I used to have this but it sounded like dookie to me so I chucked it,
          never could get past the snotty lyrics and funky fake brit vocal
          inflections. I guess I need to check out their new concept album ;)
          For anyone who likes hard and fast 2 and 3 minute songs I highly suggest
          checking out The Hives last two albums. There's something about these
          swedes who ditch their accents that does it for me.

          rich