Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Muffins DVD problems

  • Scott Storey
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
      On 10/7/04 6:57 AM, "biceeichler" <eichler@...> wrote:

      > Roy DeRousse <roylayer@e...> wrote:
      >> Adam Levin wrote:

      >>> Is it a commercially manufactured DVD or is it DIY affair?
      >
      > I can't tell by looking at the DVD and packaging, but the
      > content looks fairly DIY. (As an aside, I really wish they
      > hadn't used so much processing and effects on the picture,
      > I'd much rather just watch the band play).

      Which reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. Why do the directors (or whomever)
      feel that its absolutely necessary to change the point of view every 5-10
      seconds? It drives me crazy. Can't they just set up the camera, point it at
      the stage and then go away? I thought that DVDs of prog bands would be an
      exception, since their concern is more about the music than the "concert
      experience" Nope. AAARRRRGGGHHH (I completely missed "talk like a pirate"
      day)

      -db

      -np kraan - through
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
        "progjeff2000" <jeff_oaster@n...> wrote:

        > Oh yeah, and there were complaints about the overuse of specials
        > effects, but I'm guessing that was a judgement call - if it was a
        > straight performance thing (a la Magma's DVD), there would probably
        > be an equal amount of complaints regarding the lack of special
        > effects. You can't win 'em all, and since it was a self-produced
        > thing, I'm guessing that that is how the Muffs (and not their
        > tyrannical label owener ;^) wanted the finished product to look
        > like.

        You're really trying to get that "Muffs" thing to catch on,
        aren't you? ;-)

        > - Jeff, wondering if the DVD has an inordinate amount of Star Wipes
        > on it

        No star wipes that I remember, but a lot of negative image (I
        guess that's appropriate, given the title of their new album),
        pixelization (or however that's spelled), overly-fast cuts so
        you can't tell what you were looking at for that fraction of a
        second, overlaid images (sometimes with the same band member
        appearing multiple times in the image), and things like nature
        shots and snow overlaid on the image.

        It's not all like that - there are stretches where you can see
        the band and what they're doing...I just wish there was more
        of that.

        > p.s. Jason, are you happy? I used a winky after a sarcastic
        > comment. 8^p

        Me too! And I said "Me too!" This post has it all.

        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • progjeff2000
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:

          > You're really trying to get that "Muffs" thing to catch on,
          > aren't you? ;-)

          Nope, that is not an Oaster Original (tm) - I swore I heard the
          bandmembers refer to themselves that way. (Sure enough, a quick check
          of their webpage did spot an occasional "Muffs" reference)

          > No star wipes that I remember, but a lot of negative image (I
          > guess that's appropriate, given the title of their new album),
          > pixelization (or however that's spelled), overly-fast cuts so
          > you can't tell what you were looking at for that fraction of a
          > second, overlaid images (sometimes with the same band member
          > appearing multiple times in the image), and things like nature
          > shots and snow overlaid on the image.

          Yeah, and what about the time where it appeared that Paul Sears had
          eight arms? Or at least it sounded that way.

          > It's not all like that - there are stretches where you can see
          > the band and what they're doing...I just wish there was more
          > of that.
          >

          > Me too! And I said "Me too!" This post has it all.
          >
          > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          nah, it's missing the gratuitous Zappa reference, and maybe a festival
          announcement or someone pimping for their radio show.

          - Jeff

          np: Thork, Weila (yup, more symphy French stuff)
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
            "progjeff2000" <jeff_oaster@n...> wrote:

            > "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:
            >
            > Yeah, and what about the time where it appeared that Paul Sears had
            > eight arms? Or at least it sounded that way.

            I missed that, but if you play "People in the Snow" backwards,
            it sounds like "I buried Paul". Swear to god.

            > > Me too! And I said "Me too!" This post has it all.
            >
            > nah, it's missing the gratuitous Zappa reference, and maybe a
            > festival announcement or someone pimping for their radio show.

            Did I mention my new internet radio show where I'll be
            playing excerpts from the bands that have been announced
            for the new all-Zappa tribute festival?

            Oh, right, I only dreamed that.

            -- Bob "Not to be confused with Kenny Blankenship" Eichler
          • T. J. Higgins
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
              On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:07:41PM -0000, progjeff2000 wrote:
              > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:
              >
              > > Me too! And I said "Me too!" This post has it all.
              > >
              > > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              >
              > nah, it's missing the gratuitous Zappa reference, and maybe a festival
              > announcement or someone pimping for their radio show.

              And it's missing the word "mellotron."

              I'm thinking eventually this thread will lead back to that
              funny posting from a few years ago about how to be a prog
              reviewer.

              T.J.
            • Jon Byrne
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
                At 11:57 AM 10/7/04 +0000, Bob wrote:
                >(As an aside, I really wish they
                >hadn't used so much processing and effects on the picture,
                >I'd much rather just watch the band play).

                Amen, brother. The otherwise excellent new echolyn DVD is marred in spots
                by the excessive use of visual effects. Seeing the band play is
                entertaining enough for me.

                Jonathan Byrne
                Infinity Ranch: http://infinityranch.blogspot.com
                ----------------------
                "Isn't everything about you a little abnormal and persistent?"
                - Dilbert
              • muffinspaul
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Hi folks -

                  we have shipped probably 600-700 of these and experienced no
                  "problems" with them. After about the first 40 which we made, long
                  ago, - they are manufactured by "professionals" - and if you suspect
                  you have a defect, please get in touch with me and we will take care
                  of it.

                  Best regs and thanks for you support!

                  paul s
                  pj.sears@...
                • Bob Eichler
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                    "muffinspaul" <pj.sears@...> wrote:

                    >we have shipped probably 600-700 of these and experienced no
                    >"problems" with them. After about the first 40 which we made, long
                    >ago, - they are manufactured by "professionals" - and if you suspect
                    >you have a defect, please get in touch with me and we will take care
                    >of it.

                    I've decided the problem is probably with my Samsung player, not
                    the DVD. For what it's worth, I discovered that if I plug my
                    XBox into the big stereo/tv setup, it can play the Muffins DVD
                    with no problems. The XBox only plays the audio in plain stereo,
                    so if it's encoded in 5.1 surround or something, I'm not getting
                    the full effect, but it sounds fine to me.

                    Also, I've come to accept the video effects. As much as I like
                    the music, just watching a plain video of the band playing it
                    would probably get dull after a while.

                    Funny aside - I was watching the DVD with my 5-year-old daughter,
                    and she asked how the band does all those special effects when
                    they play live. She didn't quite grasp that it doesn't really
                    look like that if you're sitting in the audience...

                    -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                  • progluvr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2004
                      In a message dated 10/8/2004 9:53:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eichler@... writes:

                      Funny aside - I was watching the DVD with my 5-year-old daughter,
                      and she asked how the band does all those special effects when
                      they play live.  She didn't quite grasp that it doesn't really
                      look like that if you're sitting in the audience...

                      Well, of course, if you're NOT doing mind altering substances.....heh.  But you see now you can get the experience without them!  : )

                      She sounds like a cute, smart kid though...pretty cool.

                      Deb S.
                      "The Prog-Rock Diner"
                      www.fcac.org   (WEBR)
                      ProgDay!