Bogus Pomp Orchestra

  • Bob Eichler
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2004
      This past weekend fortune smiled on me and I managed to get a
      family vacation to Florida to coincide with what's being billed
      as the final "Bogus Pomp Orchestra" show, where the Tampa-area
      Frank Zappa cover band Bogus Pomp joins forces with members of
      the local symphony orchestra to do a combination orchestral/rock
      Zappa tribute show.

      Saturday night I drove over from the beach to the Tampa Theater
      and saw one of the best shows I've ever seen. About 30 or so
      highly talented musicians all dedicated to performing Zappa's
      music as well as possible. There were the usual rock band
      instruments - guitar, bass, drums and two keyboardists, but
      they were almost an afterthought to the orchestral "band" - a couple
      violins, a couple cellos, a couple french horns, a couple oboes,
      a woman in a white wedding dress and purple wig playing bassoon,
      two percussionists, a double bass, trumpet, trombone and a sax
      player who took several big solos.

      They covered everything from the Grand-Wazoo-era big band jazz
      music to early Mothers of Invention material to the more rockin'
      songs. Pretty much everything was done as an instrumental, even
      if the original had lyrics, but there was lots of oddball
      vocalizing, and the conductor would occasionally turn and give
      the audience a signal to let out a big MOO-AAHHH sound (his
      instructions were to "sound like you're vomiting").

      The theater itself is awesome too - incredibly ornate decorations,
      and the balcony area gives a great illusion of being outdoors with
      rooftops on either side and a starry sky above.

      I'm really bummed that this has been announced as the last
      orchestral show (Bogus Pomp is breaking up) because I'd gladly
      spend the money to fly down again next year and see them. Oh well.

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • Pete
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
        Bob,
        Did you tape the show for us? :-)
        Pete

        Bob Eichler wrote:

        > This past weekend fortune smiled on me and I managed to get a
        > family vacation to Florida to coincide with what's being billed
        > as the final "Bogus Pomp Orchestra" show, where the Tampa-area
        > Frank Zappa cover band Bogus Pomp joins forces with members of
        > the local symphony orchestra to do a combination orchestral/rock
        > Zappa tribute show.
        >
        > Saturday night I drove over from the beach to the Tampa Theater
        > and saw one of the best shows I've ever seen. About 30 or so
        > highly talented musicians all dedicated to performing Zappa's
        > music as well as possible. There were the usual rock band
        > instruments - guitar, bass, drums and two keyboardists, but
        > they were almost an afterthought to the orchestral "band" - a couple
        > violins, a couple cellos, a couple french horns, a couple oboes,
        > a woman in a white wedding dress and purple wig playing bassoon,
        > two percussionists, a double bass, trumpet, trombone and a sax
        > player who took several big solos.
        >
        > They covered everything from the Grand-Wazoo-era big band jazz
        > music to early Mothers of Invention material to the more rockin'
        > songs. Pretty much everything was done as an instrumental, even
        > if the original had lyrics, but there was lots of oddball
        > vocalizing, and the conductor would occasionally turn and give
        > the audience a signal to let out a big MOO-AAHHH sound (his
        > instructions were to "sound like you're vomiting").
        >
        > The theater itself is awesome too - incredibly ornate decorations,
        > and the balcony area gives a great illusion of being outdoors with
        > rooftops on either side and a starry sky above.
        >
        > I'm really bummed that this has been announced as the last
        > orchestral show (Bogus Pomp is breaking up) because I'd gladly
        > spend the money to fly down again next year and see them. Oh well.
        >
        > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • rich mueller
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
          This BPO sounds very nice.
          Are you familiar with Ensemble Ambrosia. A physical therepist my wife
          goes to turned us on to this, a swedish (i think) chamber orchestra
          covering the music of uncle Frank. Very cool stuff.

          rich

          On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:50:19 -0400 Bob Eichler <eichler@...> writes:

          > This past weekend fortune smiled on me and I managed to get a
          > family vacation to Florida to coincide with what's being billed
          > as the final "Bogus Pomp Orchestra" show, where the Tampa-area
          > Frank Zappa cover band Bogus Pomp joins forces with members of
          > the local symphony orchestra to do a combination orchestral/rock
          > Zappa tribute show.
          >
          > Saturday night I drove over from the beach to the Tampa Theater
          > and saw one of the best shows I've ever seen. About 30 or so
          > highly talented musicians all dedicated to performing Zappa's
          > music as well as possible. There were the usual rock band
          > instruments - guitar, bass, drums and two keyboardists, but
          > they were almost an afterthought to the orchestral "band" - a couple
          > violins, a couple cellos, a couple french horns, a couple oboes,
          > a woman in a white wedding dress and purple wig playing bassoon,
          > two percussionists, a double bass, trumpet, trombone and a sax
          > player who took several big solos.
          >
          > They covered everything from the Grand-Wazoo-era big band jazz
          > music to early Mothers of Invention material to the more rockin'
          > songs. Pretty much everything was done as an instrumental, even
          > if the original had lyrics, but there was lots of oddball
          > vocalizing, and the conductor would occasionally turn and give
          > the audience a signal to let out a big MOO-AAHHH sound (his
          > instructions were to "sound like you're vomiting").
          >
          > The theater itself is awesome too - incredibly ornate decorations,
          > and the balcony area gives a great illusion of being outdoors with
          > rooftops on either side and a starry sky above.
          >
          > I'm really bummed that this has been announced as the last
          > orchestral show (Bogus Pomp is breaking up) because I'd gladly
          > spend the money to fly down again next year and see them. Oh well.
          >
          > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          > --------------------~-->
          > Listen to Internet Radio! Access to your favorite Artists!
          > Click to listen to LAUNCHcast now!
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Zkrq7C/GARHAA/n1hLAA/jGKolB/TM

        • Bob Eichler
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
            Pete <marabus@...> wrote:

            >Did you tape the show for us? :-)

            Who's us? I did in fact tape the show, since they not only
            allowed audio and video taping, they encouraged it. My taping
            equipment wasn't all that great though - one walkman-type tape
            recorder with a decent mono microphone attached to it, and
            another walkman-type tape recorder with a built-in stereo mic.
            Both recorders were sitting on my lap during the show because
            I didn't have anywhere else to put them, so they got jostled
            around a little (especially when the couple to my left showed
            up half an hour into the first set) and probably picked up as
            much audience noise as they did music.

            I'm in the process of converting the mono microphone one to CDR,
            and then I'll do the other one. If either turns out half-way
            decent, I'd be glad to put them up for trade (or for blanks and
            postage).

            -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
          • Pete
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26, 2004
              I'll keep my fingers crossed!

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 26, 2004
                rich mueller <progholio@j...> wrote:

                > This BPO sounds very nice.
                > Are you familiar with Ensemble Ambrosia. A physical therepist my
                > wife goes to turned us on to this, a swedish (i think) chamber
                > orchestra covering the music of uncle Frank. Very cool stuff.

                I've heard OF them, but haven't heard the album yet. It's one
                of those "if I ever see it, I'll pick it up" type discs.

                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
              • rich mueller
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 26, 2004
                  I found my copy at the county library of all places.

                  rich

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Pete <marabus@c...> wrote:

                    > Bob Eichler wrote:
                    >
                    > > Pete <marabus@c...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > >Did you tape the show for us? :-)
                    > >
                    > > I did in fact tape the show, since they not only
                    > > allowed audio and video taping, they encouraged it. My taping
                    > > equipment wasn't all that great though - one walkman-type tape
                    > > recorder with a decent mono microphone attached to it, and
                    > > another walkman-type tape recorder with a built-in stereo mic.
                    > > Both recorders were sitting on my lap during the show because
                    > > I didn't have anywhere else to put them, so they got jostled
                    > > around a little (especially when the couple to my left showed
                    > > up half an hour into the first set) and probably picked up as
                    > > much audience noise as they did music.
                    >
                    > I'll keep my fingers crossed!

                    OK, I got both my recordings transferred to CDR. They both fall
                    into the "listenable but not stellar" recording quality. The
                    sound quality is a little "distant" sounding, and I can pinpoint
                    the spot where the folks next to me showed up late - during
                    "Mom & Dad" on both recordings there is the horrible noise of
                    microphones being shifted around to let them get past me. But
                    other than that the recordings turned out about as well as I had
                    hoped for. The one with the Mono mic sounds a little clearer and
                    it's easier to hear quiet parts on that one, but unfortunately it's
                    not stereo. The one recorded with the built-in stereo microphones
                    IS in stereo, but has lower volume levels and there are parts you
                    can barely hear, and there's more tape hiss.

                    Anyway, if anyone's interested in hearing these recordings, I'll
                    be happy to trade 'em, either for other Zappa or prog-rock rarities
                    or just for blanks and postage. Keep in mind though that a LOT of
                    people were recording the show, and odds are there are better
                    recordings out there...