Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Proto Kaw

    Message 1 of 43 , May 1, 2004
      Rich wrote:

      >>While on the Kansas subject, there was some discussion recently about
      Freaks of Nature and In the Spirit of Things. I recently listened to both
      of them back to back (as much as I could stomach). I remember thinking I
      liked ItSoT maybe better than FoN- man, what was I thinking?  ItSoT
      pretty much sucks unless you are a fan of 80's mullet rock,<<

      Although I agree that "In The Spirit Of Things" is probably Kansas's weakest album, there are a few gems on the disc.  "Ghosts", "Bells Of Saint James", "Rainmaker", and "The Preacher" are all very good tunes.  The rest of the album is pretty lame though.  Bringing in outside songwriters (due to record company pressure) was a big mistake in retrospect.

       >>but I still
      stand by my opinion of FoN being somewhat listenable but being overall
      weak. If Kansas is currently working on an album without the help of Mr.
      Livgren, I think I'll pass.<<

      "Freaks Of Nature" is far from their strongest work, but I still like it a lot.  Have you heard Steve Walsh's solo album "Glossolalia" from a few years ago?  It is a departure from the Kansas sound, but shows that Walsh is very capable of writing good quality stuff.  I think the band is capable of still making a good album even without Livgren's help if they put their minds to it.

      Steve Sly
      Progday X
      (NP - Yes - The Ultimate Yes)
      Message 43 of 43 , May 3, 2004
        In a message dated 5/2/2004 2:04:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kdude420@... writes:

        > Another great bassist
        > besides Hope that always reminded me of Squire for some reason is Glenn
        > Hughes too if anybody knows who that is. He's also a lead singer but I
        > always preferred his bass playing to that. It seems for
        > some odd reason
        > he's more known as a singer though.<<

        Hughs is both a great vocalist and bassist. Although he has always played with hard rock bands, he has a definite funky side to his bass playing. His work with Deep Purple certainly steered them in this direction.

        Steve Sly
        Progday X
        http://www.progday.com
        (NP - Stacy Mitchhart - Midnight Breeze)