Proto-Kaw

  • CuneiWay@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 7:35 AM
      >Yes, a newly recorded album due out in april, featuring all of the
      >original dudes, minus one I think. Sounds like it might be pretty cool,
      >especially if they actually went more in the direction of Kansas II and
      >not Kansas III.

      They sound more like Kansas III - from what I heard, it sounded more like a
      good Kansas album than the real Kansas do these days. But it sounds like
      'classic Kansas', so fans of the 'Kansas sound' will probably like this new one more
      than Early Recordings From Kansas.

      Steve
    • kream5
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
        Knowing that this group began as an off-shoot of Kansas group, it's
        true (as opposed to vinyl?) confessions time. I was a prog-snob in
        the '70s, of the opinion that it it wasn't English, it wasn't my cup of
        prog-tea. I dismissed Kansas, owing perhaps also to the over-exposure
        of their radio hits. When the remasters came, I picked up Leftoverture,
        then the King Biscuit disc, and enjoyed both, but left it at that. I
        passed on the Proto-Kaw archival disc but with Nearfest approaching,
        picked up the new(er) release. I know it's been said before, but...WOW!
        After three listens, I'm blown away. I played the last track
        (theophany) repeatedly in the car and look forward to not only many
        repeated listenings but their appearance at Nearfest! Hope to see many
        of you there!

        Rick
      • James W. Robinson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
          Come see Proto-Kaw June 11th along with Frogg Cafe in Metuchen New
          Jersey as part of the NJ Proghouse music series .
          Tickets can be ordered at

          http://www.njproghouse.com

          Peace-
          Jim

          kream5 wrote:

          > Knowing that this group began as an off-shoot of Kansas group, it's
          > true (as opposed to vinyl?) confessions time. I was a prog-snob in
          > the '70s, of the opinion that it it wasn't English, it wasn't my cup of
          > prog-tea. I dismissed Kansas, owing perhaps also to the over-exposure
          > of their radio hits. When the remasters came, I picked up Leftoverture,
          > then the King Biscuit disc, and enjoyed both, but left it at that. I
          > passed on the Proto-Kaw archival disc but with Nearfest approaching,
          > picked up the new(er) release. I know it's been said before, but...WOW!
          > After three listens, I'm blown away. I played the last track
          > (theophany) repeatedly in the car and look forward to not only many
          > repeated listenings but their appearance at Nearfest! Hope to see many
          > of you there!
        • kream5
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
            -Jim,
            Your Proghouse series is perhaps the best argument for returning to
            my home state of New Jersey (grew up in Newark)but don't tell my mom
            who's been bugging us to return from the wilds of Western Mass. for
            twenty or so years. Given the close proximity in time to Nearfest,
            I'll have to content myself w/ seeing both bands there but would love
            to get to a Proghouse show at some point in the future.
            regards,
            Rick

            -- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Robinson" <jwrjr@r...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
              Rick wrote:

              >>Knowing that this group began as an off-shoot of Kansas group, it's
              true (as opposed to vinyl?) confessions time. I was a prog-snob in
              the '70s, of the opinion that it it wasn't English, it wasn't my cup of
              prog-tea. I dismissed Kansas, owing perhaps also to the over-exposure
              of their radio hits. When the remasters came, I picked up Leftoverture,
              then the King Biscuit disc, and enjoyed both, but left it at that. I
              passed on the Proto-Kaw archival disc but with Nearfest approaching,
              picked up the new(er) release. I know it's been said before, but...WOW!
              After three listens, I'm blown away. I played the last track
              (theophany) repeatedly in the car and look forward to not only many
              repeated listenings but their appearance at Nearfest! Hope to see many
              of you there!<<

              Yea, "Before Became After" is a great disc and I am really looking forward to seeing them as well.  You should also give some more Kansas a chance, they have a lot of great material out there.  My wife and I will both be at NEARfest.

              Steve Sly
              Progday 2005
              (NP - Knight Area - The Sun Also Rises)
            • kream5
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 7:15 AM
                I also picked up this disc on the same day as the Proto-Kaw. I hadn't
                been planning to, prior to their replacing Riverside on the NF roster,
                as I had downloaded their MP3 from the Lasers Edge site and it really
                didn't captivate me as much as Ken's hype would have led me to believe.
                Well, what can I say? After 3 or so listens, I'm a fan. This disc hits
                all the right neo-notes for me and seems to get better with each
                listen. Their inclusion on the NF roster does raise a question- given
                their sound being somewhat similar at times to IQ- about considerations
                concerning having a couple of bands with stylistic similarities. This
                is obviously not a consideration at RoSfest, but I believe Rob & Chad
                have always tried to offer a more diverse range of offerings. I base
                this belief not only on the previous line-ups, but a discussion several
                years ago with Andy Robinson (Magus), who told me Magus had been
                considered for the 2001 roster (only year I've missed) but that the
                Magus sound was felt to be perhaps too close to Porcupine Tree. I
                certainly don't min having IQ and Knight Area on the bill as this is a
                style that I love.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3 12:42 AM
                  Rick wrote:

                  >>I also picked up this disc on the same day as the Proto-Kaw. I hadn't
                  been planning to, prior to their replacing Riverside on the NF roster,
                  as I had downloaded their MP3 from the Lasers Edge site and it really
                  didn't captivate me as much as Ken's hype would have led me to believe.
                  Well, what can I say? After 3 or so listens, I'm a fan. This disc hits
                  all the right neo-notes for me and seems to get better with each
                  listen.<<

                  I had pretty much the same reaction.  At first I kind of thought that it had a "prog by numbers" feel to it, but it has grown on me with each listen as well.  I still like the Riverside album better though, in fact it is one of my favorite discs of 2004 and I was a bit disappointed with their cancellation.

                  >> Their inclusion on the NF roster does raise a question- given
                  their sound being somewhat similar at times to IQ- about considerations
                  concerning having a couple of bands with stylistic similarities. This
                  is obviously not a consideration at RoSfest, but I believe Rob & Chad
                  have always tried to offer a more diverse range of offerings. I base
                  this belief not only on the previous line-ups, but a discussion several
                  years ago with Andy Robinson (Magus), who told me Magus had been
                  considered for the 2001 roster (only year I've missed) but that the
                  Magus sound was felt to be perhaps too close to Porcupine Tree. I
                  certainly don't min having IQ and Knight Area on the bill as this is a
                  style that I love.<<

                  I can't speak for Rob and Chad, but in the case of Progday we try to have as much diversity as possible in the lineup.  That being said, it often comes down to band availability, monetary concerns, logistics and a host of other factors that determine who is in the final lineup.  In the case of Knight Area, it is not always possible to find a replacement that is of similar style to the band originally announced.  Progday had a similar situation last year when Amon Duul II canceled on us and we scrambled to find a replacement, ending up with the Mahavishnu Project who were a very different  kind of band.  Of course our situation was a bit more last minute than NEARfest, but it is still a challenge to replace any band that you have already booked.  Riverside is a pretty unique entity IMO, and it would be difficult to find a band that really fits their particular niche.  In the case of Knight Area they are both on the same label which may or may not have had an influence on how they got the gig.

                  ROSfest does try to cater to a certain audience.  I think it will be interesting to see what happens this year.  They had limited success with it last time around, but early indications seem to be that this year is going to fare better.  I have not heard if their show is sold out or not though.

                  Steve Sly
                  Progday XI
                  (NP - Blackfield - Blackfield)
                • kream5
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4 6:16 AM
                    -I picked up the Blackfield disc a couple of weeks ago and IMHO its as
                    good as any Porcupine Tree disc; the melancholic air, similar to
                    Opeth's Damnation, with the beautiful and spacious arrangements, has
                    really captivated me. I might have to check out some of Aviv Geffen's
                    work- can anyone make a recommendation?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4 4:27 PM
                      Rick wrote:

                      >>-I picked up the Blackfield disc a couple of weeks ago and IMHO its as
                      good as any Porcupine Tree disc; the melancholic air, similar to
                      Opeth's Damnation, with the beautiful and spacious arrangements, has
                      really captivated me. I might have to check out some of Aviv Geffen's
                      work- can anyone make a recommendation?<<

                      Blackfield is definitely recommended for people who like Porcupine Tree.  I am not familiar with any of Geffen's other material.  I have read that he is a fairly well known star in his home country of Israel and that his stuff is rather pop oriented.

                      Steve Sly
                      Progday XI
                      (NP - Frogg Cafe - Frogg Cafe)