Re: [ProgAndOther] living colour

  • rich mueller
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      > Steve Sly
      > Progday X
      > http://www.progday.com
      > (NP - Living Color - Collideoscope)

      I keep forgetting about their new album, how is it?

      rich
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:01:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, progholio@... writes:

        > I keep forgetting about their new album, how is it?<<

        I don't own it, but I borrowed it from a guy at work. It is quite good. If you like their earlier stuff you would like this as well. They do a couple of interesting covers on the album including AC/DC's "Back In Black" and The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows".

        Steve Sly
        Progday X
        http://www.progday.com
        (NP - Blues Traveler - Live From The Fall)
      • Michael Ostrich
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
          Steve,

          > I don't own it, but I borrowed it from a guy at work. It is quite good.
          If you like
          > their earlier stuff you would like this as well.

          I couldn't disagree with you more. I thought the album was terrible
          when comparing it to their earlier works. The songs sound like
          half-thought-out ideas, and the vocals/lyrics are sub-par at best. Their
          "cover" of Back In Black has to feature, IMO, the worst vocal track ever in
          the history of mankind. :) I was really bummed - I was *really* looking
          forward to this album..

          Best Regards,

          Michael Ostrich, MCP
          ProgScape Entertainment
          http://www.progscape.com
        • tjhiggin@hiwaay.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
            Michael Ostrich writes:
            > Their
            > "cover" of Back In Black has to feature, IMO, the worst vocal track ever in
            > the history of mankind. :)

            How does it compare to Devin Townsend's rendition of "Natural
            Science" on the "Working Man" Rush tribute? :^)

            T.J.
          • Michael Ostrich
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
              TJ,

              > > Their
              > > "cover" of Back In Black has to feature, IMO, the worst vocal track ever
              in
              > > the history of mankind. :)
              >
              > How does it compare to Devin Townsend's rendition of "Natural
              > Science" on the "Working Man" Rush tribute? :^)

              Considering I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan and I simply love that version
              of Natural Science? It's like compariny something outstanding and something
              that lacks in all imigination (meaning the AC/DC cover).

              - mike.
            • Craig Maloney
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 21:45, Michael Ostrich wrote:

                > Considering I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan and I simply love that version
                > of Natural Science?

                As a Rush fan, the Devin Townsend cover of Natural Science was one of
                the low points of the Working Man tribute. If I was Devin performing
                that song in front of Geddy Lee, I would have been embarrassed.

                --
                Craig Maloney (craig@...) http://ic.net/~craig
                "You should, without hesitation, pound your typewriter into a
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                  On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:45:48 -0500 "Michael Ostrich"
                  <syrinx@...> writes:
                  > > How does it compare to Devin Townsend's rendition of "Natural
                  > > Science" on the "Working Man" Rush tribute? :^)
                  >
                  > Considering I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan and I simply love that
                  > version
                  > of Natural Science? It's like compariny something outstanding and
                  > something
                  > that lacks in all imigination (meaning the AC/DC cover).
                  >
                  > - mike.

                  I completely agree with this, that Devin Townsend track is the only
                  reason I kept that tribute cd.

                  I have not heard the new LC yet, I'm trying to keep an open mind but fear
                  for the worse on the ac/dc cover, I just envision this as being a waste
                  of their creative energy.
                  I did see LC open for King Crimson last november(freakin' awesome btw),
                  they played one of their new songs but I honestly didn't remember much
                  accept it was pretty heavy. It didn't matter, I was still plenty hopped
                  up from Funny Vibe.

                  rich
                • Michael Ostrich
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                    Craig,

                    > > Considering I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan and I simply love that
                    version
                    > > of Natural Science?
                    >
                    > As a Rush fan, the Devin Townsend cover of Natural Science was one of
                    > the low points of the Working Man tribute. If I was Devin performing
                    > that song in front of Geddy Lee, I would have been embarrassed.

                    I've noticed that if you "get" Devin, you'll love his version.
                    Otherwise, it'll make you want to riot in the streets. No biggie. I think
                    it's great. Others won't. :)

                    Best Regards,

                    Michael Ostrich, MCP
                    ProgScape Entertainment
                    http://www.progscape.com
                  • Michael Ostrich
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                      Rich,

                      > I have not heard the new LC yet, I'm trying to keep an open mind but fear
                      > for the worse on the ac/dc cover, I just envision this as being a waste
                      > of their creative energy.

                      Which is how the album is, really. I expected *so* much more.

                      > I did see LC open for King Crimson last november(freakin' awesome btw),
                      > they played one of their new songs but I honestly didn't remember much
                      > accept it was pretty heavy. It didn't matter, I was still plenty hopped
                      > up from Funny Vibe.

                      It might have been "Sacred Grown" which goes back to the old days (they
                      performed it in 1993 before they broke up). When I saw LC in 2001 on their
                      "reunion" tour, they blew the house down here in Philadelphia. This time
                      around, I "missed" their appearance.

                      Best Regards,

                      Michael Ostrich, MCP
                      ProgScape Entertainment