Re: [ProgAndOther] SEVEN PHASES OF A HARD-CORE PROG FAN

  • Jake Mandel
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
      Rob, this is one of the funniest things I've ever read.  Except that discovery happens in high school, not college!  Hmmm....I just bought Ultimate Yes for my 7th version of Roundabout - original Fragile CD, YesYears Box Set, 91 Fragile Remaster, HDCD Fragile Japanese Remaster, In a Word: Yes Boxset, New Rhino Fragile Remaster, and now Ultimate Yes...not even counting the live versions and I don't even own that "Very Best of Yes" CD.  Oops, time to check Ebay for that Japanese pressing of Fragile I've been looking for - hope it has the Obi!

      Jake

    • progjeff2000
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Mandel" <jakem36@c...> wrote:
        > Rob, this is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Except that
        discovery happens in high school, not college! Hmmm....I just bought
        Ultimate Yes for my 7th version of Roundabout - original Fragile CD,
        YesYears Box Set, 91 Fragile Remaster, HDCD Fragile Japanese Remaster,
        In a Word: Yes Boxset, New Rhino Fragile Remaster, and now Ultimate
        Yes...not even counting the live versions and I don't even own that
        "Very Best of Yes" CD. Oops, time to check Ebay for that Japanese
        pressing of Fragile I've been looking for - hope it has the Obi!

        > Jake

        Egads Jake, it's because of you that Chris Squire just put an addition
        onto to his resort in Switzerland. I'm hoping you've gotten to some of
        the other stages and realize that there is a more to this world than
        Yes. (Dear God, I just made a Flower Kings pun. Ellerbee'll never let
        me live that one down.)

        - Jeff, who has about a dozen different versions of 21st Century
        Schizoid Man, and probably about 7 or 8 versions of MDK, but
        fortunately only three different Roundabouts
      • Jake Mandel
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
          Oh yes, I've got all the phases except "maturity".  Hell, I even have Ben Mink's solo LP.  I think I even played it once.  When's that FM reunion going to happen?

          Jake
          Egads Jake, it's because of you that Chris Squire just put an addition
          onto to his resort in Switzerland. I'm hoping you've gotten to some of
          the other stages and realize that there is a more to this world than
          Yes. (Dear God, I just made a Flower Kings pun. Ellerbee'll never let
          me live that one down.)

          ---
          The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
          To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

        • nearfest
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Mandel" <jakem36@c...> wrote:
            > Oh yes, I've got all the phases except "maturity". Hell, I even
            have Ben Mink's solo LP. I think I even played it once. When's that
            FM reunion going to happen?

            > Jake

            Oh shit!! I have the Mink LP too!
            Cam Hawkins is not in the best of mental states these days from what I
            have heard. Even his old band members cannot find out where he has
            hidden himself.

            Peace
            Rob
          • Jake Mandel
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
              Wow, that's really sad.  I enjoyed the reunion CD from 94 and always hoped they'd get together for Nearfest someday.  I have great memories of seeing and hearing them for the first time when they opened for Rush on the Moving Pictures tour.

              Jake

            • sean@toib.net
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                wrote:
                > Oh yes, I've got all the phases except "maturity". Hell, I even
                have Ben Mink's solo LP. I think I even played it once.

                If you want to be a real geek you need the Ken Ramm LP "Dragon" as
                well. Some of the FM guys are on it.

                Regards,
                Sean
              • eichler@epix.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                  In the last digest, "progjeff2000" <jeffoaster@...> wrote:

                  > Phase 5a: Snobbery. You've gotten so many CDs and
                  > explored every nugget that Genesis and Yes become boring.
                  > You also find yourself arguing with anyone and everyone,
                  [snip]
                  > and you realize that RIO is a genre and not a vacation
                  > spot. Steve Feigenbaum becomes a close personal friend,
                  > and you find yourself working your way through his table
                  > alphabetically at every festival you attend.

                  *cough*

                  > Phase 6b: Zappa. You give up on sympho and neo and decide
                  > that poop humor is Where It's At.

                  Surely you're not suggesting that Zappa's music is
                  nothing but poop humor... >:-{=

                  > Comments such as "REO Speedwagon are more progressive
                  > than this" and "I was ready to leave halfway through
                  > Anglagard's set" are commonplace.

                  *cough*

                  > Now I just need to figure out a way to make amends
                  > with Bob. Ummm, Go Flyers.

                  Top of the eastern conference baby. Until the Devils
                  play those three games in hand, anyway.

                  And then the Flyers also have to deal with the fact that
                  their defensemen and goalies have been dropping faster
                  than drummers from Spinal Tap. (There, I managed to tie
                  it back to music).

                  Only three more injuries and Bill Bruford gets to play
                  net. (There, I tied it back to prog).

                  -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                • Greg Hall
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                    Boy, does Rob know me or what.  I remember those days back in college when I scraped together every last penny to buy everything I could find from Genesis, Yes, ELP, and King Crimson...and I also remember shelling out big buck to get the Yes box set just to hear the 3 or 4 unreleased cuts.

                    Greg

                    NP:  Neal Morse - Testimony

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                      In a message dated 2/5/2004 2:43:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, eichler@... writes:
                      >>Top of the eastern conference baby.  Until the Devils
                      play those three games in hand, anyway.

                      And then the Flyers also have to deal with the fact that
                      their defensemen and goalies have been dropping faster
                      than drummers from Spinal Tap.  (There, I managed to tie
                      it back to music).<<

                      Devils???.........Flyers???..........In the end they all must answer to the mighty Red Wings!

                      Steve Sly
                      Progday 2004
                      (NP - Styx - Brave New World)
                    • Zero the Hero
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                        On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, progjeff2000 wrote:
                        > (Dear God, I just made a Flower Kings pun. Ellerbee'll never let
                        > me live that one down.)

                        Ellerbee doesn't even know what the hell you're talking about >:o

                        --
                        Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
                        DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Zero the Hero <jeller@u...> wrote:
                          > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, progjeff2000 wrote:
                          > > (Dear God, I just made a Flower Kings pun. Ellerbee'll never let
                          > > me live that one down.)
                          >
                          > Ellerbee doesn't even know what the hell you're talking about >:o
                          >

                          >:0 right back at you, you advant snob! (For the record, the Flo Kings have a
                          song called, "There is more to this world.")

                          - Jeff

                          NP: WOSP, A Joyful Noise
                        • Don Arnold
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 5, 2004
                            I don't think there's any prog bands from Vancouver,
                            BC (home of the Canucks, who just finished beating New
                            Jersey 4 - 0!). I live in Victoria, located on an
                            island a 90 minutes ferry ride from Vancouver.

                            I guess Prog fans can be hockey fans too. Great that
                            we can have fun with both!

                            This brings to mind a question I've wondered. How
                            many prog fans are also avid readers of
                            fantasy/science fiction books?

                            Happy progging,

                            Don Arnold

                            NP - Syzygy - "M.O.T.H." (downloaded from their
                            website)

                            --- stevesly@... wrote: > In a message dated
                            2/5/2004 2:43:17 PM Eastern
                            > Standard Time,
                            > eichler@... writes:
                            > >>Top of the eastern conference baby. Until the
                            > Devils
                            > play those three games in hand, anyway.

                            > Devils???.........Flyers???..........In the end they
                            > all must answer to the
                            > mighty Red Wings!
                            >
                            > Steve Sly
                            > Progday 2004
                            > http://www.progday.com
                            > (NP - Styx - Brave New World)

                          • progjeff2000
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Don Arnold <progmellotron@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > I don't think there's any prog bands from Vancouver,

                              Apparently (according to Mr. McFee), there are tons of prog bands from
                              Canada. While I can't vouch as to their origins, I'd bet that there
                              are some from Vancouver. (In fact, NP: Pangee, Hymnemonde. From Quebec)

                              > I guess Prog fans can be hockey fans too. Great that
                              > we can have fun with both!

                              Yeah, if a 2-2 tie is your idea of fun 8^p (eagerly awaiting baseball
                              myself)

                              > This brings to mind a question I've wondered. How
                              > many prog fans are also avid readers of
                              > fantasy/science fiction books?

                              Hmmm, "All of them," might be the most accurate answer. Most of those
                              that I know seem to have more than a passing interest. On a related
                              note, I finally got around to picking up Master of Orion 3, and I'm
                              thinking the designers may have put so much information into the game
                              that it might not even be fun to play. We'll see.

                              - jeff
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progjeff2000" <jeffoaster@r...>
                                wrote:
                                > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Don Arnold <progmellotron@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I guess Prog fans can be hockey fans too. Great that
                                > > we can have fun with both!

                                Must be nice to live in Canada, where you can tell people that
                                your favorite sport is hockey and their reaction is "so what"
                                instead of "what the hell is wrong with you?"

                                > Yeah, if a 2-2 tie is your idea of fun 8^p (eagerly awaiting
                                > baseball myself)

                                Announcer: ...oh, and now a beach ball has blown onto the
                                diamond...and the ball boy is chasing it...

                                Homer: I forgot how boring this game is without beer!

                                > > This brings to mind a question I've wondered. How
                                > > many prog fans are also avid readers of
                                > > fantasy/science fiction books?
                                >
                                > Hmmm, "All of them," might be the most accurate answer.

                                Dammit, I was just about to say "approximately all of them".

                                -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

                                NP: The Atrac disc I finished last night with all of Pink Floyd's
                                official releases on it, plus a 2-disc tribute album and about an
                                hour and a half of boot material. I wish Sony would make Atrac
                                players for cars...
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                  In a message dated 2/5/2004 11:04:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, progmellotron@... writes:

                                  > I guess Prog fans can be hockey fans too. Great that
                                  > we can have fun with both!<<

                                  Hockey is huge here in Michigan. The Red Wings are by far the most popular pro sports team in Detroit. Every game is a sellout. In my home town (Kalamazoo) we have an UHL franchise and NCCA Division I hockey with Western Michigan University. Both do quite well attendance wise for such a small city.

                                  > This brings to mind a question I've wondered. How
                                  > many prog fans are also avid readers of
                                  > fantasy/science fiction books?<<

                                  I wouldn't say that I am an avid reader, but I have read my share of sci fi over the years.

                                  > NP - Syzygy - "M.O.T.H." (downloaded from their
                                  > website)<<

                                  So what do you think of this album? I think it is one of the best of 2003. Really good stuff IMO.

                                  Steve Sly
                                  Progday X
                                  http://www.progday.com
                                  (Np - The Flower Kings - Meet The Flower Kings Live)
                                • Jerry Keller
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004

                                    steve said
                                     In my home town (Kalamazoo) we have an UHL franchise and NCCA Division I hockey with Western Michigan University.  Both do quite well attendance wise for such a small city.

                                    i heard that the city of kalamazoo was thinking about buying the expos.
                                    is that true, steve?

                                  • Don Arnold
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                      > NP - Syzygy - "M.O.T.H." (downloaded from their
                                      > website)<<

                                      So what do you think of this album? I think it is one
                                      of the best of 2003. Really good stuff IMO.

                                      Steve Sly

                                      Excellent stuff. At least the one track I've listened
                                      to so far. I'm including the disc on my next order
                                      with Laser's Edge. Unfortunately it's not available
                                      from my local CD shop where I special order 75% of my
                                      purchases - easier on the pocketbook than having to
                                      add 35% exchange!

                                      Don Arnold

                                    • Stephen & JoAnn
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                        It is a GREAT CD. Buy it immediately then you will run out and purchase
                                        their first CD under the Witsend name called Cosmos to Chaos (or vica versa)

                                        Stephen

                                        > NP - Syzygy - "M.O.T.H." (downloaded from their
                                        > website)<<

                                        So what do you think of this album? I think it is one
                                        of the best of 2003. Really good stuff IMO.

                                        Steve Sly

                                        Excellent stuff. At least the one track I've listened
                                        to so far. I'm including the disc on my next order
                                        with Laser's Edge. Unfortunately it's not available
                                        from my local CD shop where I special order 75% of my
                                        purchases - easier on the pocketbook than having to
                                        add 35% exchange!

                                        Don Arnold

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Pete
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                          I'll agree with Steve-Cosmos is a great cd!
                                          Pete

                                          Stephen & JoAnn wrote:

                                          > It is a GREAT CD. Buy it immediately then you will run out and purchase
                                          > their first CD under the Witsend name called Cosmos to Chaos (or vica
                                          > versa)
                                          >
                                          > Stephen
                                        • Jerry Keller
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                            whats it like? is it similar to allegory of light?
                                            jerry

                                            Stephen & JoAnn wrote:

                                            > It is a GREAT CD.  Buy it immediately then you will run out and purchase
                                            > their first CD under the Witsend name called Cosmos to Chaos (or vica
                                            > versa)
                                            >
                                            > Stephen

                                            ---

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 6, 2004
                                              On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Jerry Keller wrote:

                                              > whats it like? is it similar to allegory of light?

                                              It's the same thing. For some reason, the letters M O T H are on the
                                              cover too, but it has nothing to do with the title that I can figure.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                Very similar if only less mature.  Seems they (Witsend) did not secure that name so when they came around to putting out The Allegory of Light under the Witsend name they found somebody else had the rights to that name.  Rather than waste $$$$ to buy the name they changed it to Syzygy.  My review of the Witsend CD should be up on www.prog4you.com

                                                C U @ RoSFest

                                                Stephen

                                                Stephen & JoAnn wrote:

                                                > It is a GREAT CD.  Buy it immediately then you will run out and purchase
                                                > their first CD under the Witsend name called Cosmos to Chaos (or vica
                                                > versa)
                                                >
                                                > Stephen

                                                ---

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                  In a message dated 2/6/2004 12:55:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, jerry950@... writes:
                                                  >>i heard that the city of kalamazoo was thinking about buying the expos.
                                                  is that true, steve?<<
                                                  Ha......I don't think we could quite pull that one off.  We do have a Frontier League minor league baseball franchise here that does quite well, but the Expos.........I don't think so.

                                                  Steve Sly
                                                  Progday X
                                                  (NP - Amon Duul II - The UA Years 1969 - 1971)
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                    In a message dated 2/7/2004 12:43:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, jeller@... writes:
                                                    >>It's the same thing.  For some reason, the letters M O T H are on the
                                                    cover too, but it has nothing to do with the title that I can figure.<<

                                                    Yea, I was wondering about that myself.  It seems a bit odd.

                                                    Steve Sly
                                                    Progday X
                                                    (NP - Amon Duul II - The UA years 1969 - 1974)
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                      In a message dated 2/7/2004 3:58:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, StephenJoAnn@... writes:
                                                      >>Very similar if only less mature.  Seems they (Witsend) did not secure that name so when they came around to putting out The Allegory of Light under the Witsend name they found somebody else had the rights to that name.  Rather than waste $$$$ to buy the name they changed it to Syzygy.  My review of the Witsend CD should be up on www.prog4you.com<<

                                                      Also keep an eye out for an interview I conducted with the band that will appear in the next issue of Expose Magazine.  They are planning to have a new album written, recorded and released before the end of the year.

                                                      Steve Sly
                                                      Progday X
                                                      (NP - Amon Duul II - The UA Years 1969 - 1974)
                                                    • umocheech
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                        _Cosmos and Chaos_ should be checked out by anybody who loves those
                                                        good ol' symph prog trios - roughly a third of the album's running time
                                                        consists of solo tracks, including the excellent all-guitar piece "Tautology."

                                                        E-Man