Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Yes Confirms 35th Anniversary Tour

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      In a message dated 1/31/2004 5:14:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:
      >>Ironically, you left out the one date which is the one they're coming
      closest to me. They're playing The Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit on
      5/8. This has to be the shortest Yestour ever!<<

      They are also playing Grand Rapids Michigan on 5/6, which is where I am planning to see them.  Do you live in Michigan?

      Steve Sly
      Progday X
      (NP - Dennis Deyoung - Live With The Chicago Symphony)
    • kdude420@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        No, I live in Cincinnati. I used to go to camp in northern Michigan at
        an arts camp called Interlochen if you've ever heard of it. Yes actually
        played there on their Yes Symphonic tour of '01, surprisingly enough. I
        wonder if Grand Rapids or Detroit would be closer to me. I'm thinking
        probably the latter.

        Kevin

        N.P. Deep Purple "Stormbringer" (live)
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Speaking of Yes I just got the Yesspeak 2 dvd set yesterday-watched it
          this morning-very entertaining.I always enjoy hearing Rick talk and he
          does plenty during the set.
          Pete
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            In a message dated 2/1/2004 12:19:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:
            >>No, I live in Cincinnati. I used to go to camp in northern Michigan at
            an arts camp called Interlochen if you've ever heard of it.<<

            Sure, Interlochen is very well known around these parts.  In fact my folks have gone up there for shows on several occasions.
            >> Yes actually
            played there on their Yes Symphonic tour of '01, surprisingly enough. I
            wonder if Grand Rapids or Detroit would be closer to me. I'm thinking
            probably the latter.<<

            From Cincinnati I would guess Detroit would be closer since it is a straight shot up I-75.  Cincinnati is about a 5 hour drive from where I live (Kalamazoo) and Grand Rapids would be another 45 minutes north.  The one advantage of Grand Rapids is the Arena is only about half the size of The Palace in Detroit though.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
              A lot of famous people went to Interlochen actually, like Mike Wallace
              from 60 Minutes (even though he's forever old lol) & actress Meredith
              Baxter. I can't think of any more off hand but there have been others.
              Jewel actually graduated from the academy there in like '92 I believe. I
              went to camp there with Rain Pryor (Richard's daughter) one summer. She
              was very nice. She later went on to be on Head of the Class, (if anybody
              remembers that show) among other things. You have to audition to go
              there. That would have been SO amazing to see Yes at Interlochen! When I
              went there, they just used to have classical & jazz acts. I saw Wynton
              Marsalis, The Canadian Brass, the late Gerry Mulligan, the late Count
              Basie, the late Woody Herman, the late Ella Fitzgerald, The Glenn Miller
              Band, etc. Interlochen kind of discouraged rock 'n' roll when I went
              there. They figured you got enough exposure to that already when you
              weren't there. Then they started getting some rock bands after I went
              there. The only other one I can think of off hand I think was like The
              Beach Boys besides Yes. And I assume one of the reasons they got Yes was
              'cause they actually toured with a symphony three years ago. (one of
              their best tours ever!) Detroit is only about three & a half, four hours
              from here. Grand Rapids sounds about as far from here as Chicago.
              Chicago is the second closest they're playing to here. They're playing
              All State Arena which I THINK is the old Rosemont Horizon, if so, I saw
              Pink Floyd there about sixteen years ago.

              And speaking of Yes, this last week was quite a big week for them! On
              Monday, they had the screening of Yesspeak in about 20 or so cities with
              the live acoustic set via satellite to the theaters after the screening,
              Tuesday was the release of Yesspeak & The Ultimate Yes & the Craig
              Kilborn appearance & Wednesday they played an acoustic set at Tower
              Records in LA & announced their North American tour dates.

              Kevin

              N.P. Billy Cobham "Stratus"
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                In a message dated 2/2/2004 5:53:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:

                > A lot of famous people went to Interlochen actually, like Mike Wallace
                > from 60 Minutes (even though he's forever old lol) & actress Meredith
                > Baxter. I can't think of any more off hand but there have been others.<<

                Yes, Interlochen has produced many many great artists over the years.

                >> You have to audition to go
                > there. That would have been SO amazing to see Yes at Interlochen! Interlochen kind of discouraged rock 'n' roll when I went
                > there. They figured you got enough exposure to that already when you
                > weren't there. Then they started getting some rock bands after I went
                > there.<<

                They have a lot of rock now, albiet of the more gentile variety (no metal, rap or grunge). They also do country and blues as well.

                >>es was
                > 'cause they actually toured with a symphony three years ago. (one of
                > their best tours ever!)<<

                It was good, but I have seen them when they were better IMO. The Union tour is still the highlight of the 9 times I have seen Yes.

                >>Detroit is only about three & a half, four hours
                > from here. Grand Rapids sounds about as far from here as Chicago.
                > Chicago is the second closest they're playing to here. They're playing
                > All State Arena which I THINK is the old Rosemont Horizon,
                > if so, I saw
                > Pink Floyd there about sixteen years ago.<<

                Yes, Alstate Arena is the old Rosemont.

                Steve Sly
                Progday X
                http://www.Progday.com
                (NP - Tab Benoit - The Sea Saint Sessions)
              • kdude420@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Yeah, when I went to Interlochen, they never had even one pop or rock
                  concert ever, but then again, I went there from '83-86. Two other
                  artists I thought of I saw there also were Bob James & Chuck Mangione,
                  though I don't think the latter has been quite as much in the pubic
                  consciousness as he once was. I also think in recent years Interlochen
                  had like The Indigo Girls too, & if they have blues now, I guess I could
                  see them bringing in somebody like B.B. King.

                  I've seen Yes seventeen times now, though I didn't first see them 'til
                  '88, so never actually saw them in their prime in the '70s. I saw them
                  twice on the Union tour too, (Wakeman's fave Yestour, I met him three
                  months ago now after a solo show here) but it was the same greatest hits
                  setlist from just about every other tour. A lot of people don't care
                  about the setlist but I do. "Til Howe came back in '95, they didn't
                  really do a lot of rare nuggets. My fave tours are Masterworks in '00 &
                  Yes Symphonic in '01, when they busted out rare epics like "Ritual" &
                  "The Gates of Delirium," the latter possbly being my fave Yessong ever.
                  With the return to arenas now & Wakeman two years ago & turning now to
                  nostalgia, (with touring off The Ultimate Yes) I'm afraid those days are
                  probably over, though I hope not. I feel lucky though I've caught what I
                  have. Although on a recent solo show last month, Jon Anderson (his first
                  solo tour in 22 years) supposedly said Yes is considering on this next
                  tour doing "Mind Drive," "To Be Over" & "On the Silent Wings of
                  Freedom," but I'll believe it when I hear it.

                  Kevin

                  N.P. Miles Davis "John McLaughlin"
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 2/3/2004 5:50:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:

                    > My fave tours are Masterworks in '00 &
                    > Yes Symphonic in '01, when they busted out rare epics like "Ritual" &
                    > "The Gates of Delirium," the latter possibly being my fave Yessong ever.<<

                    It is always interesting how people view things differently. To me the "Masterworks" tour was probably my least favorite. I like all phases of Yes's career and to not play anything past 1976 to me left out a lot of great music. The 30 minute epic thing got a bit old after a while for me. The "Symphonic" tour set list was better, but still skipped over entire sections of their history. Plus I really liked "The Ladder" album which was almost completely ignored. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the really old stuff too, but I also like to have things mixed up a bit more than they did on those tours.

                    I feel lucky though I've caught what I
                    > have. Although on a recent solo show last month, Jon Anderson (his first
                    > solo tour in 22 years) supposedly said Yes is considering on this next
                    > tour doing "Mind Drive," "To Be Over" & "On the Silent
                    > Wings of
                    > Freedom," but I'll believe it when I hear it.<<

                    I would love to hear all of those, but I know they have talked about doing "Mind Drive" before, but have never done it.

                    Steve Sly
                    Progay X
                    http://www.progday.com
                    (NP - The Flower Kings - Meet The Flower Kings Live)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, kdude420@w... wrote:

                      > artists I thought of I saw there also were Bob James & Chuck
                      > Mangione, though I don't think the latter has been quite as much
                      > in the pubic consciousness as he once was.

                      Unless you watch King of the Hill (isn't it Mangione who has the
                      running joke of being the spokesman for all sorts of products on
                      that show?)

                      -- Bobby "That boy ain't right" Hill-Eichler
                    • kdude420@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 5, 2004
                        I got my tix for Detroit yesterday (for 5-8) in the presale on Yesworld.
                        Grand Rapids went on sale yesterday too in the presale as well. Grand
                        Rapids is actually 5-5 rather, not 5-6 as you originally thought.

                        Kevin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 6, 2004
                          In a message dated 2/6/2004 2:52:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:

                          > I got my tix for Detroit yesterday (for 5-8) in the presale on Yesworld.
                          > Grand Rapids went on sale yesterday too in the presale as well. Grand
                          > Rapids is actually 5-5 rather, not 5-6 as you originally
                          > thought.<<

                          I am waiting until the public sale on Saturday to get mine. I have not had the greatest of luck with "pre-sales". Usually they charge a bunch of extra money and the seats are not all that much better than what you can get on the public sale date. I bought pre-sale for Peter Gabriel and ended up nowhere close to the stage. What really pissed me off was that there were plenty of empty seats much closer than where our seats were for the supposed "premium" pre-sale seats. I passed on pre-sale for Queensryche last year and still got 4th row center. I passed on pre-sale for Dennis Deyoung and got front row. Maybe the Yes situation is better, but I'm going to take my chances on Saturday. Did you get good seats? The Palace is a great place to see a concert if you have never been there before. The acoustics are the best of any sports arena I have ever been in.

                          Steve Sly
                          Progday X
                          http://www.progday.com
                          (NP - The Flower Kings - Meet The Flower Kings Live)
                        • Jerry Keller
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 6, 2004

                            I am waiting until the public sale on Saturday to get mine.  I have not had the greatest of luck with "pre-sales".

                            i got tickets for the allstate arena show via the presale and didn't get great seats but not bad. 13th row center.
                            jerry
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 6, 2004
                              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@a... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 2/6/2004 2:52:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              kdude420@w... writes:

                              >> I got my tix for Detroit yesterday (for 5-8) in the presale
                              >> on Yesworld.
                              >
                              > I am waiting until the public sale on Saturday to get mine.
                              > I have not had the greatest of luck with "pre-sales". Usually
                              > they charge a bunch of extra money and the seats are not all
                              > that much better than what you can get on the public sale date.

                              Yes hit Hershey on a tour a few years ago (might have been in
                              support of the Open Your Eyes album, but I'm not positive), and
                              my wife and I tried the pre-sale option. Ended up getting front
                              row seats...all the way at the right edge of the crowd. From
                              there we could see approximately one quarter of the stage, with
                              the rest being blocked by the PA stack, which was right in front
                              of us, deafeningly loud.

                              We ended up moving to empty seats near the back of the arena,
                              and vowing never to do the pre-sale thing again.