Re: [ProgAndOther] Camel

  • barnstoneworth
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: karla
      To: coloradoprog@yahoogroups.com ; P&O
      Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 11:49 PM
      Subject: [ProgAndOther] Camel

      I got Camel "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone have any opinions about
      Camel?

      I love Camel, but 'ANAAW' is their weakest album in 30 years (IMHO, others
      may get different mileage from it).

      If that's your first album and you like it, you have a lot of great
      listening to catch up on, but asking for a recommendation on what to buy
      first is pointless as, if you asked ten different Camel fans, you'd probably
      get 10 different answers! For instance, I prefer their mid 80's album
      'Stationery Traveller' above all otthers, closely followed by 'Dust and
      Dreams' , but I doubt many others would.

      Andy

      ---
      The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
      To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
        i'd agree that a nod and a wink is their weakest effort too. my personal
        favorite is dust and dreams. its pretty mellow like a nod and a wink but with really
        gorgeous melodies. you can't go wrong with raindances, breathless, mirage or the snow goose just
        to start out with. their catalogue is pretty strong.
        jerry

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
          i'd agree that a nod and a wink is their weakest effort too. my personal
          favorite is dust and dreams. its pretty mellow like a nod and a wink but
          with really
          gorgeous melodies. you can't go wrong with raindances, breathless, mirage or
          the snow goose just
          to start out with. their catalogue is pretty strong.
          jerry

          Dust and Dreams is such an emotional album-almost reduces me to tears in
          places!! Mind you a lot of Andy Latimers writing playing can do that to
          me...I can't listen to 'Ice' without getting goosebumps!!

          The best thing is that Camel handle their own stuff now, and if you order it
          from them and ask nicely, you
          ll probably get it autographed too!!

          Cheers

          Andy
        • Greg Hall
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
            I am actually one of those that really like A Nod and A Wink and find much of the older stuff a little boring.

            Greg

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • sean@nexus.carleton.ca
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "karla" <karla__k@h...> wrote:
              > I got Camel "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone have any
              > opinions about Camel?

              One of the big bands of the 70s. I liked "A Nod and a Wink" well
              enough, but you will certainly want to check out their 70s works
              like "Mirage" and "The Snow Goose" for the bset music they made.

              Regards,
              Sean
            • Don Arnold
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                As you can read, Camel hasn't written a bad album.
                Some are better than others. Of the ones I have, I
                like Raindances, Snow Goose, Rajaz and Breathless
                among others.

                Happy riding!

                Don Arnold
                Victoria, BC

                --- karla <karla__k@...> wrote: > I got Camel
                "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone
                > have any opinions
                > about Camel?

              • Adam Levin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Rush Guitarist in New Year's Eve Fight

                  NAPLES, Fla. - The lead guitarist for the rock band Rush faces criminal
                  charges after a New Year's Eve fight with sheriff's deputies.

                  Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was
                  arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the
                  Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel.

                  Deputies said they used a stun gun on Zivojinovich, 50, who faces six
                  charges that include aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer,
                  resisting an officer with violence, and disorderly intoxication.

                  Also arrested were his 33-year-old son Justin Zivojinovich and wife
                  Michelle Zivojinovich, 30.

                  Justin Zivojinovich said his father, who was still in Collier County jail
                  late Thursday, had his nose broken by deputies.

                  He also said his father did not throw a female deputy down the stairs, as
                  stated in arrest reports. She tumbled down the stairs as she pushed the
                  guitarist down the stairwell, his son said.

                  The scuffle began when Justin Zivojinovich refused to leave a stage,
                  according to the arrest report.

                  Rush's hits include "Tom Sawyer," from the 1981 album "Moving Pictures,"
                  "Limelight" and "Spirit of the Radio."

                  -Adam

                  ----
                  T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
                  http://www.darkaether.net/

                  "Fusing jazz-inflected soundscapes, dark imagery, innovative tape loops,
                  symphonic rock textures and psychedelic experimentation, Dark Aether Project
                  explore the furthest realms of progressive rock." - Allmusic Guide

                  ** The latest CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
                  Amazon.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com - MandMMusic.com
                  OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - TowerRecords.com - WaysideMusic.com
                • Guy LeBlanc
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "karla" <karla__k@h...> wrote:
                    > I got Camel "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone have any
                    opinions
                    > about Camel?

                    Howdy,
                    You didn't say whether you're enjoying your gift (or not)...
                    Given that you seem to be unacquainted with the Camel catalog, I'd
                    suggest that you go backwards from the most recent, at least up to
                    the mid-80s.
                    Alot of folks have expressed their likes and dislikes about this
                    band and its various albums, as well as its many different lineups,
                    so I'll just say that there's stuff on each album that I really
                    like, and NAAW explores just about each period of the band's history.
                    Cheers,
                    Guy LeBlanc
                  • karla
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2004
                      Thanks to everyone for your replies. I see there are a lot of varied
                      opinions, which means it'll be worth my while doing some more "research"
                      on these guys.

                      I'm enjoying it OK. It's quite mellow, so before I solidify an opinion,
                      it deserves more listens.

                      Sometimes it helps to get other opinions and/or comments, to appreciate
                      what I'm hearing, if it doesn't grab me right away. So again, I thank
                      all of you.

                      karla